CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

I don't know where you all went to school, but the release MR was FAR from a pop culture moment (it made $57m total domestic, Mummy and Pearl both beat that in less than 3 days). The film did have outstanding staying power, not just at the box office but in general pop culture Without Baz's flare and the team up song, it would have been DOA. MR's long-term industry influence is felt much more strongly in the string of high profile musicals which were taken much more seriously in the years that followed.  Joel Schumacher's attempts to w/ rip it off with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA a few years later w/ a hint of Zorro being the most obvious rip off attempt.

Phantom didn’t have peak Christina Aguilera on the soundtrack HENNY

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

They really want people under 75 to care about this movie - that loud Doja Cat song in that trailer is really something.

Uh,n

Anarchostitic music is one of Luhrmann's standart techniques. Sometimes it works...Moulin Rouge...and sometimes it does

nt....Great Gatsby.

But you do know you just made the younger audience look like a bunch of morons, buy suggesitng they cannot be interested in any film set before they were born?

54 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You also think Top Gun: Maverick is going to bomb or go straight to streaming.  

I fully trust Baz here; the story of  Elvis plays to his strengths as a director........Gatsby did not, Yeah, it was a box office sucess becausew of DeCapio, but as an adaptation of the novel, it was a disaster.

The first trailer has one of the best closing 70 secondsisn of any trailer I have ever seen. The editing in this most recent is very strange but the footage itself looks great. Expecting a highly creative film about of the most famous entertainers in history during a period of national transformation. 

20 hours ago, Maggie said:

This could be big, but i don't really trust Baz. Gatsby was a success, box office wise, but this has no LEO

19 hours ago, Maggie said:

Read on another forum that the movie is great. Should break out big

An hour apart? 

I can’t stand Doja Cat, but some other names on the soundtrack interest me, especially Kacey Musgraves. 

Just now, Grebacio said:

Prediction on reviews?

I think it will get a divisive reception, some will love it, some will hate it and others will think it was fine. 

Thinking something like high 50s on metacritic, high 70s Rotten Tomatoes

I think it will be 85 on RT and 70 on metacritic