CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

That was made to be the Scary Movie of music biopics, except Scary Movie kind of ruined it for the ironic horror movie for a while, and they kept making clichéd musician biopics like Walk Hard never happened.

Jerry Lee Lewis actually did get canceled back in the 1950s when hardly any hetero white guy got canceled for anything. I guess Elvis got a pass for Priscilla a few years later because at least they weren't cousins and he didn't actually marry a 13 year old?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

That was made to be the Scary Movie of music biopics, except Scary Movie kind of ruined it for the ironic horror movie for a while, and they kept making clichéd musician biopics like Walk Hard never happened.

As far as Hollywood is concerned, it didn't

DOMESTIC (89%)

$18,317,151

INTERNATIONAL (11%)

$2,259,047

WORLDWIDE

$20,576,198

20M worldwide meant it didn't have a big cultural footprint and is likely only known to exist within the film nerd circle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think there was a few years there when the music biopics calmed down but they've come back in vogue in a big way recently since Bohemian Rhapsody

I don't mind them but they are usually very paint by the numbers. I know Baz can be controversial but I do hope he brings some of wackiness and theatrics to the movie. 

I hope they find time to depict the black talent in rock and roll and R&B  during that period. It seems B.B King plays a somewhat prominent role in the film based on the trailer (and the casting of Kelvin Harrison Jr.)  and they have actors cast Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Little Richard, Arthur Crudup and Big Mama Thornton so I'm hopeful they will explore some of that.  

Edited by ban1o

On 4/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, ban1o said:

I don't mind them but they are usually very paint by the numbers. I know Baz can be controversial but I do hope he brings some of wackiness and theatrics to the movie. 

I hope they find time to depict the black talent in rock and roll and R&B  during that period. It seems B.B King plays a somewhat prominent role in the film based on the trailer (and the casting of Kelvin Harrison Jr.)  and they have actors cast Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Little Richard, Arthur Crudup and Big Mama Thornton so I'm hopeful they will explore some of that.  

And lot of the music biopics are, frankly, full of BS as far accuracy goes.

Problem is that this biipic will not have a happy ending if it halfway realistic.

In the end, the story of Elvis is a tragedy; he is somebody who came from  nowhere , got the American Dream and he could not handle it and it destroyed him.

Edited by dudalb

Out of the trailers that played in front of Memory (in a crowd of 10 where I was the only one not collecting social security) this was the only one that got the old people buzzing and that includes Dr. Strange Deux. 

Great song, always amazes me how Baz use unnusual songs for the genre of his movies 

I have no idea how this song will be included in an Elvis biopic but i loved it, and it's another sign that the movie really isn't just a basic formulaic project.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, dudalb said:

And lot of the music biopics are, frankly, full of BS as far accuracy goes.

Problem is that this biipic will not have a happy ending if it halfway realistic.

In the end, the story of Elvis is a tragedy; he is somebody who came from  nowhere , got the American Dream and he could not handle it and it destroyed him.

Tbf many Baz movies are ultimately tragedies, he could probably get a sad ending through