CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

People will easily love this. They loved everything this director has made expect for australia, that was trying too much to be dramatic and serious.

According to the reviews this is full of colour, with a lot of music and kinda of fast and crazy. People like when this director make this kind of thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

People will easily love this. They loved everything this director has made expect for australia, that was trying too much to be dramatic and serious.

According to the reviews this is full of colour, with a lot of music and kinda of fast and crazy. People like when this director make this kind of thing. 

Uh, although it made a lot of money, a lot of people hated his version of the Great Gatsby.

Gatsby is a dramatic and serious novel. Baz trying to turn it into something else just did not work. 

I

Edited by dudalb

I have been readng the reviews......

I guess I will use the spoiler function to be on he safe side...athough I think it's a bit much too use it for a film that is based on actual events where everybody knows the outcome.

Spoiler

I am surprised that Luhrmann apparetnly compresses Elvis in the 60's into a two minute montage. I understand the problem...a throughly emasculated Elvis spent it making one mediocre movie after another..and that is hard to show without becoming repetitive, but I am concerned  Baz does not show how much of a creative rut Elvis was in before the Comeback special..which plays a major role in the movie from what I have read.

ANd it shows the COlonel as a con man who might have hurt Elvis as much as he helped him.

But I really,really, interested in seeing this.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Uh, although it made a lot of money, a lot of people hated his version of the Great Gatsby.

Gatsby is a dramatic and serious novel. Baz trying to turn it into something else just did not work. 

I

I wouldn't say a lot of people. Critics reception was mixed, but audience reception was really good overall and very good in some countries.

And even though I watched Gatsby a long time ago, it was still dramatic and serious (especially third act) as far as I remember? Maybe flashy and noisy, but definitely not a comedy or anything like that.

Edited by Firepower

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

I

Even if it made 3B dollars a lot of people hate Avatar too, you can be sure about that.

What i mean his movies expect for Australia have been big at the box office (and always wit great legs) so he has an audience who love what this movie seems to be.

It helps he's not that profolific, always around 5 years at least beetween movies (9 since the last greatsby) , so his audience always has appetite for a new thing.

Edited by vale9001

Disney plus will release a 6 episodes version of Australia at the end of the year.

No one has reprised this news from almost a mnoth ago but i read it in an interview with Luhrmann on this australian newspaper

Luhrmann has re-edited Australia, a film that succeeded in many parts of the world but was critically savaged, into a six-part series called Faraway Downs that will stream on Disney + later this year.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/the-great-persuader-baz-luhrmann-on-his-biggest-gamble-yet-20220330-p5a9j8.html

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Disney plus will release a 6 episodes version of Australia at the end of the year.

No one has reprised this news from almost a mnoth ago but i read it in an interview with Luhrmann on this australian newspaper

Luhrmann has re-edited Australia, a film that succeeded in many parts of the world but was critically savaged, into a six-part series called Faraway Downs that will stream on Disney + later this year.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/the-great-persuader-baz-luhrmann-on-his-biggest-gamble-yet-20220330-p5a9j8.html

God, the film  was too long in it';s theatrical version.....

Sorry, Baz fans, but this kind of film takes a David Lean to pull off, and Luhrmann is not a David Lean.

8 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Even if it made 3B dollars a lot of people hate Avatar too, you can be sure about that.

What i mean his movies expect for Australia have been big at the box office (and always wit great legs) so he has an audience who love what this movie seems to be.

It helps he's not that profolific, always around 5 years at least beetween movies (9 since the last greatsby) , so his audience always has appetite for a new thing.

You are not equating the amount of money it makes to a film's quality, do your.

I am no Avatar fan, but I don't have the dislike for it I do for Gatsby, becuase it did not rape a classic novel.

19 hours ago, Firepower said:

I wouldn't say a lot of people. Critics reception was mixed, but audience reception was really good overall and very good in some countries.

And even though I watched Gatsby a long time ago, it was still dramatic and serious (especially third act) as far as I remember? Maybe flashy and noisy, but definitely not a comedy or anything like that.

It was TOO flasht and noisy. That just does not fit in well with what the Fitzgeral novel is all about.

I don't really like any of Baz Luhrmann's films except Romeo + Juliet which I basically think is a flat out masterpiece. I'm not completely sure why, I guess I just think his flashy over-the-top style was a perfect marriage with Shakespeare but it hasn't really worked with anything else.  

• Like 1