CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

Consider, too, that the central conflict of these movies-- the threat of Grindelwald exposing the Wizarding World-- is one that has clearly been resolved by the time the original series takes place. This is often an issue with prequels, but it's usually not too big a problem.

I consider that a non-issue. There are so many stories out there in which we pretty much know the outcome, but I would say it's all about the storytelling. In the Star Wars prequels the storytelling was subpar, but the concepts were interesting enough. The same goes for Crimes of Grindelwald to a certain extent; while the Fantastic Beasts series is schizophrenic by nature in combining two entirely different stories into one movie series, there were a lot of interesting ideas and themes there. They just weren't able to bring it together satisfyingly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

But this is different. We know how the battle between Dumbledore and Grindelwald will play out, and we know that, at least by the 1990s (or the 2020s if you consider Cursed Child canon) the Wizarding World hasn't been exposed. There's no mystery, no stakes, at least from the perspective of anyone who follows the series. 

It will be new for casual movie fans only. Also I'm sure there will be a couple of new secrets for us who have followed the series from day one.   

7 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

I consider that a non-issue. There are so many stories out there in which we pretty much know the outcome, but I would say it's all about the storytelling. In the Star Wars prequels the storytelling was subpar, but the concepts were interesting enough. The same goes for Crimes of Grindelwald to a certain extent; while the Fantastic Beasts series is schizophrenic by nature in combining two entirely different stories into one movie series, there were a lot of interesting ideas and themes there. They just weren't able to bring it together satisfyingly.  

Beautifully said.

• Thanks 1

You know it really is disappointing that Katherine Waterston is only in like one scene in the movie. The fact that her character and Alison Sudol (Queenie) are supposed to be sisters and they haven't actually shared a scene together since the first movie is real unfortunate.

And judging by the new trailer (which is an improvement over the previous one) they didn't do much reshoots involving her character, otherwise we would have seen a shot of Tina somewhere by now. Idk to me the characters from the first movie have barely been developed and we're in the third movie already. 

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, clockwork said:

And judging by the new trailer (which is an improvement over the previous one) they didn't do much reshoots involving her character, otherwise we would have seen a shot of Tina somewhere by now. Idk to me the characters from the first movie have barely been developed and we're in the third movie already. 

I agree it's a pity. That being said I don't care that much about Queenie anymore after she drugged Jacob in the last movie and tried to force him into marrying her, but I won't deny there is a great character potential with her loyalty conflicts and abilities to read minds, as well as how it all impacts her relationship with Tina.

At least Jacob is still around.    

Warners just pulled THe Batman from Russian release and I suspect they will do the same with all it's releases until the crisis is over, which will be when Russia gets the hell out of the Ukraine. And who knows when that will be.........

in somewhat surprising news given that the movie’s still 4-5 weeks away from its international rollout, Fantastic Beasts 3 is officially through the Chinese censorship process & approved for theaters (date TBD, although it’s now got a shot at going roughly day-and-date with the rest of the world)

Also, was playing around on Chinese ticketing site Maoyan and found a 133-minute runtime for Secrets of Dumbledore listed (there's a very good chance that this is official, at least for the version that'll play in China, given that the movie just made it through the entirety of the Chinese censorship/screening process, which does necessitate a locked cut and generally results in several government-approved documents listing things like suggested ticket prices and confirmed running time). While movies will release with China-specific cuts, Secrets is PG-13 and shouldn't have required any deletions to remove violence or nudity (basically, I'd be surprised if it received China-special censorship, although only time will tell if that's the case). So… a bit shorter than Fantastic Beasts and Crimes of Grindlewald?

First two FB did 591 million RMB and 399 million RMB in China, respectively; suspect the new movie will perform in a similar range (if I had to go out on a limb, I'll guess 300-400 million RMB, so somewhere in the $50-60 million range). Although if the Potter fanservice is well-delivered, that number could go up as the Chinese Potter fandom is a real thing and word-of-mouth spreads lightning-fast through the Chinese Internet.

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

The new trailer didn't play with The Batman fan screenings, it was the first trailer.

I'm programming trailer 2 with Batman screenings.

Also, I'm kind of shocked this made it past Chinese censors. Did WB really give up on the Dumbledore/Grindlewald relationship? Or is China getting a different cut?

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, I'm kind of shocked this made it past Chinese censors. Did WB really give up on the Dumbledore/Grindlewald relationship? Or is China getting a different cut?

This is probably a case of the usual "gay but not really" thing, where the gay relationships are merely implied and barely noticeable to most people and/or is something you can easily edit out so homophobic countries can play it.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

Still unknown whether China's getting a different cut. With that said, so long as there's nothing too explicit and the homosexual content is kept to dialogue (no implied sex scenes, no kissing), there's no need to censor the movie for China (for instance, both Avengers: Endgame and The Rise of Skywalker played uncut in China). While there are very real limits to what can make it onto a Chinese screen, Chinese censors tend to be more tolerant/flexible than censors in countries like Singapore and Russia (although, to be fair, Russia is now a non-issue).

12 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

This is probably a case of the usual "gay but not really" thing, where the gay relationships are merely implied and barely noticeable to most people and/or is something you can easily edit out so homophobic countries can play it.

No. Dumbledore and Grindelwald both explicitly say they were in love with each other in the film. Spoilers, but not sorry, since it's obviously explicit.