CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

You guys remembered what happened with US reviewers and Joker? I would not be surprised at all for them to review bomb Rowling on a personal level. 

Not at all.

You're gonna see some critics "can't remove what Rowling believes from this film."

Unprofessional? Absolutely. Expected? Hell to the fucking yes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Moderation

Yeah, we're not doing this "woke US critics out to get this movie" kind of crap. Don't even try.

Just because you don't like what we're saying, does not mean we can't discuss it. We are talking about how Rowling's actions can effect the film's reviews, and by extension the box office. It's a valid concern especially as we have seen it happen to Joker (but was saved by international critics). 

What does woke have to do with anything we said? We have members here who cannot remove Rowling's beliefs from the story and you're telling us to shut up because we are discussing it regarding critics?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Just because you don't like what we're saying, does not mean we can't discuss it. We are talking about how Rowling's actions can effect the film's reviews, and by extension the box office. It's a valid concern especially as we have seen it happen to Joker (but was saved by international critics). 

What does woke have to do with anything we said? We have members here who cannot remove Rowling's beliefs from the story and you're telling us to shut up because we are discussing it regarding critics?

Well ignoring my own personal viewpoint for a second, these kinds of critics debates always leads to pointless flame wars. We always get people complaining about critics and whether they are "right" about a movie, as well as edgelords complaining about how terrible "woke culture" is. We then cut to pages and pages of arguments that go nowhere and everybody is miserable in the end. It's best to nip this stuff in the bud before it gets worse.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Well ignoring my own personal viewpoint for a second, these kinds of critics debates always leads to pointless flame wars. We always get people complaining about critics and whether they are "right" about a movie, as well as edgelords complaining about how terrible "woke culture" is. We then cut to pages and pages of arguments that go nowhere and everybody is miserable in the end. It's best to nip this stuff in the bud before it gets worse.

Why if it’s directly related to the movie? This isn’t a discussion on Rowling’s views (we are aware there’s a separate thread for that) but a discussion about potential impact on critique and box-office, which is an entirely valid discussion to have here. You mentioned your personal opinion in your opening sentence, but to me it feel like your personal disagreement with other members in here is the driver behind your initial post to block any conversation surrounding the current issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Eric, we're fucking liberals. Secular liberals. That does not mean we should not discuss this. 

Crimes' reviews 100% had an impact on its OW especially since they dropped 10 days before release.

23 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Why if it’s directly related to the movie? This isn’t a discussion on Rowling’s views (we are aware there’s a separate thread for that) but a discussion about potential impact on critique and box-office, which is an entirely valid discussion to have here. You mentioned your personal opinion in your opening sentence, but to me it feel like your personal disagreement with other members in here is the driver behind your initial post to block any conversation surrounding the current issues.

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Eric, we're fucking liberals. Secular liberals. That does not mean we should not discuss this. 

Crimes' reviews 100% had an impact on its OW especially since they dropped 10 days before release.

You can talk about its potentially bad reviews and how it could hurt the box office. Just don't say anything about how critics will say it's bad solely because of Rowling's remarks and nothing else. Simple as that. I'm very sorry that I wasn't clear and I will try to word myself more carefully for next time.

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The thing I can’t get over is how dull (most) of the new characters are in this. With a few exceptions, I honestly hardly remember anything about any of them.

A fair criticism. I'm still salty that they sidelined Newt in his what was supposed to be his own series and just made him a lackey for Dumbledore instead of giving him an actual character arc or story he feels relevant in. These movies don't feel character focused anymore, unlike the Potter movies which was all about the characters.