CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I'm fucking PUMPED for the Dumbledore and Grindelwald duel!

Their hands on the other's chest gave me goosebumps

I doubt they would do the big final duel in this movie (unless they have changed their plans from 5 to 3 movies). They may have a short duel though, looks more like the big fight in this one will be Dumbledore vs Credence.

No idea what the story will be like, though hopefully tighter than COG, still there's a lot of very interesting things in the trailer. Looks like the beasts have a more prominent role here. The fight scenes look very creative. Some interesting shots as well: Dumbledore in the burning cafe, that one where the camera rotates and they come out of the reflections on a wet street, Grindelwald's symbol being shot into the sky. Scale looks impressive. Hoping it turns out good, or even great. Excited to see Law and Mikkelsen acting together. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I doubt they would do the big final duel in this movie (unless they have changed their plans from 5 to 3 movies). They may have a short duel though, looks more like the big fight in this one will be Dumbledore vs Credence.

They have A big fight here.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them just never felt quite right as a movie series. It's easy to blame J. K. Rowling's beliefs for the movie's tepid reception, but even before that became common knowledge, there was a lot of skepticism regarding the idea of a five-movie adaptation of what amounted to an in-universe textbook. The first movie was really the only well-received one, and a big part of that is because it actually focuses on Newt Scamander and the titular Fantastic Beasts. Afterwards, the Dumbledore-versus-Grindelwald subplot takes over, and Newt feels more and more like a bystander in what's ostensibly his own movie series. Even if you ignore all the baggage associated with J. K. Rowling, that would be a huge issue for these movies. 

Consider, too, that the central conflict of these movies-- the threat of Grindelwald exposing the Wizarding World-- is one that has clearly been resolved by the time the original series takes place. This is often an issue with prequels, but it's usually not too big a problem. The Star Wars prequels worked, for example, because they told us the story of a character whose backstory we had never seen before. But this is different. We know how the battle between Dumbledore and Grindelwald will play out, and we know that, at least by the 1990s (or the 2020s if you consider Cursed Child canon) the Wizarding World hasn't been exposed. There's no mystery, no stakes, at least from the perspective of anyone who follows the series. 

And that begs the question, where does the franchise go from here? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

You fucking bastard, CJohn.

In my defense, I hope I am wrong and this does 200M DOM. It would make me very happy.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Consider, too, that the central conflict of these movies-- the threat of Grindelwald exposing the Wizarding World-- is one that has clearly been resolved by the time the original series takes place. This is often an issue with prequels, but it's usually not too big a problem. The Star Wars prequels worked, for example, because they told us the story of a character whose backstory we had never seen before. But this is different. We know how the battle between Dumbledore and Grindelwald will play out, and we know that, at least by the 1990s (or the 2020s if you consider Cursed Child canon) the Wizarding World hasn't been exposed. There's no mystery, no stakes, at least from the perspective of anyone who follows the series. 

Yes, thats probably my 2nd biggest issue with this series is that there really isn't much stakes to be had. The status quo of the world isn't changed and these movies are hyping up the whole "we gotta stop Grindewlad from taking over the world" angle when we all know he doesn't. What I really liked about the first movie was how relatively self-contained it was, just a few characters on an adventure with no wider implications other than simply expanding the world a bit.

And that begs the question, where does the franchise go from here? 

Depends on how this movie is received. I've said it before but if all else fails the final two movies could just become HBO Max exclusives if they want to finish things out.

All this HBO Max talk is ridiculous for 2 reasons:

1. It doesn't even matter that much how much this makes DOM because the Wizarding World always was mainly an OS phenomenon. This can make only 100m DOM (and I bet it does way more) and it would still cross 500m WW.

2. I seriously doubt Rowling would ever allow it and make no mistake, she has full control over the franchise and WB wants that HP sequel so they will keep her happy (and it's not like they are losing money. FB is only disappointing next to the phenomenon that HP was, but these movies still make a shit ton of money, not even counting all the anciliary revenue that comes after theaters).

• Like 1

The trailer definitely looks more exciting than the last one, at the very least this movie seems like it will move at a better pace than the Crimes of Grindelwald did. I am curious what the budget for this one is, cause I do hope for their sake they kept it under 200 mil. Even if they brought this down to the first movies 180 mil budget that gives it a better chance of success.