CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

I'd be surprised if they get to 5 unless TSOD has shockingly good legs. But at worst I think they'll do a big Dumbledore/Grindelwald finale to tie-off this era and keep Rowling happy.

TSOD would've come in at around $175M if it weren't for COVID. If WB can get that number down to around $150M, I don't think they'll hesitate about another one.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'd be surprised if they get to 5 unless TSOD has shockingly good legs. But at worst I think they'll do a big Dumbledore/Grindelwald finale to tie-off this era and keep Rowling happy.

TSOD would've come in at around $175M if it weren't for COVID. If WB can get that number down to around $150M, I don't think they'll hesitate about another one.

What score do you think he will? Great entries in Europe (France and Germany), Japan too, US entries look good too. I don't know what Warner wants as a number. 400 like Dune?

12 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

It's not a huge number but that's enough to justify going forward if Warner Bros is committed to the IP (which I don't think there's any doubt about). DUNE is a good example.

Even if a final FANTASTIC BEASTS film dropped further, it's basically just a write-off towards a Harry Potter legacy sequel/franchise and HBO Max spin-offs.

So you think they will make Part 4 as final movie? 

14 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

And also the $16m salary for Depp.

818k euros OD for Italy. Very good. 

Indonesia opened to $420k and will do just below Batman's $2.6m for opening week.

2.8m opening in Brazil, down only a bit from Grindelwald's 3.2m in local currency.

24 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'd be surprised if they get to 5 unless TSOD has shockingly good legs.

I think the word of mouth will be decent, but nothing so far indicates it will get amazing legs like the newest Spider-Man movie for example. Also it's not really an action heavy movie which could work against it. Sadly, I might add, because personally I liked how this one was more slow burn in building tension compared to the first two FB movies. It was a lot more interesting than seeing some black mass causing destruction in New York or some wizards trying to put out a blue fire dragon.

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think making fourth and final movie is the best option.

It just doesn't feel like there is enough story for two more movies and final duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald is something they can use in marketing well. 

4 movies for Fantastic Beasts franchise is more than enough.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

It just doesn't feel like there is enough story for two more movies

I agree. Enough with the two parters now. Audiences and especially critics are sick of bridge movies (that's saved for television nowadays). Some critics even complained SoD felt like a bridge movie. I don't agree, they tried to tie up loose ends, but obviously the legendary duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald remains. And the way this movie ended with 

Spoiler

Grindelwald basically blowing his cover for the entire wizarding world that he truly wants to start a war with the muggles (in addition to the murder attempt on Credence), it would feel unrealistic and redundant to watch him trying to win over the entire wizarding world AGAIN. His next move should be more extreme and violent - something only his most devoted followers will agree with. They don't need two movies for that.

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think they can introduce Deathly Hallows aspect in the final movie far more. We know that both Dumbledore and Grindelwald were obessed with it. 

Cloak of invisibility will naturally lead them to the Potter family, so nice but organic fan service there. Then maybe introducing Hagrid as well. He can somehow help, he loves fantastic beasts after all. In the canon timelines he was 17 when the final duel happened. 

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

I mean both COG and SOD felt like that in a way. 

I get what you mean, but SOD felt more conclusive to me considering they had an ending to certain storylines set up in COG

Spoiler

mainly everything with Credence and Queenie going back to Jacob and getting married.

Also the main election plot is self-contained within this movie. 

Just now, Noctis said:

One last movie would also require a massive time jump of 12 years.

How would a film jump 12 years? Even TDKR had 8.

Just...jump 4 more years than TDKR did? This is all fictional anyway. The X-Men prequel films were jumping 10+ years every movie with the actors all looking the exact same. 

11 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

Yeah, I think they can introduce Deathly Hallows aspect in the final movie far more. We know that both Dumbledore and Grindelwald were obessed with it. 

Cloak of invisibility will naturally lead them to the Potter family, so nice but organic fan service there. Then maybe introducing Hagrid as well. He can somehow help, he loves fantastic beasts after all. In the canon timelines he was 17 when the final duel happened. 

No Hagrid. No big characters from Pottwr need to return.

Have it be a massive war film ala DH2 and bigger. My only qualm is the time jump and that's it. 

Just now, Noctis said:

One last movie would also require a massive time jump of 12 years.

How would a film jump 12 years?

I don't know, but the way this movie ended Grindelwald is back to square one. He'll have to hide in the shadows for years planning his next move and even then the wizarding community will never forget his crimes.

They could really pull all the stops for the final film...I was gonna say a new director but if it's gonna be just one more, Yates will almost certainly return.

JA Boyena is a director that would do brilliantly well to cap off this series.

What would the sequel be called? The War of Worlds?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

They could really pull all the stops for the final film...I was gonna say a new director but if it's gonna be just one more, Yates will almost certainly return.

He might as well finish it if they only make one more. But I do wish he would let himself indulge in lengthy action scenes for once. Yes, I mostly like the way he shoots and edits his chase sequences to be short and intense, and I LOVE the tension-building in SOD, but the bigger operatic battles involving multiple people are sometimes lacking. Heyman should push him to deliver the best action he's ever done if he's to continue directing. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 2