CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

Dude we get it

So if someone constantly praises something, no one says "dude, we get it,"  but a few have differing opinions and state those opinions, and we have to have a "dude we get it" comment?  Are we not allowed to have dissenting opinions?  And express those opinons?

1 hour ago, Menor said:

I think there's a big enough fanbase for this universe for the movies to have a certain floor. This will drop but won't be the disaster some here are predicting.

I thought the same thing about Star Wars until Solo happened 😢

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

So if someone constantly praises something, no one says "dude, we get it,"  but a few have differing opinions and state those opinions, and we have to have a "dude we get it" comment?  Are we not allowed to have dissenting opinions?  And express those opinons?

Repeatedly calling fans "loonies" and being condescending is a bit more than a dissenting opinion, no? 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

The difference is how much he says it. Marston frequently goes on and on about how a movie's gonna bomb and how a bad movie tarnished the franchise's reputation. If you're repeating the same thing over and over again, what exactly are you trying to gain here?

• Thanks 2

Just now, Multiverse of XXR said:

Repeatedly calling fans "loonies" and being condescending is a bit more than a dissenting opinion, no? 

Loonies is a term of endearment.  It's been around the forums since the inception of the forums at boxofficemojo in 2001.

I'm a Friday the 13th loonie.

Noctis is a Harry Potter loonie

The Cameron lovers here are James Cameron loonies

Kal was a Superman loonie.

It's not an insult. 

1 minute ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

The difference is how much he says it. Marston frequently goes on and on about how a movie's gonna bomb and how a bad movie tarnished the franchise's reputation. If you're repeating the same thing over and over again, what exactly are you trying to gain here?

Well, it's a place to talk about movies.  If there is just one side to the discussion all the time, how does that make it worth discussing?  I personally feel these forums should entertain both sides of the discussion.  Do his words hurt anyone's feelings?  If they do, then that's on them.  

I don't ever remember anyone telling the members here to stop talking smack about Twilight or Transformers.  Are there certain franchises that are off base but others are fine?  Genuinely curious about this.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Loonies is a term of endearment.  It's been around the forums since the inception of the forums at boxofficemojo in 2001.

I'm a Friday the 13th loonie.

Noctis is a Harry Potter loonie

The Cameron lovers here are James Cameron loonies

Kal was a Superman loonie.

It's not an insult. 

Learn Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

• Like 1

Brief history of the term loonie.  It started with Lord of the Rings.  There were so many fans of those movies when the forums first got launched that it became annoying at times.  There was a poster named Maverick and another one called Rawsaw, the three of us were kind of on an island unto ourselves.  We loved the first movie and were disappointed in the sequels.  We were big fans of the movie Stand by Me, and when the junk yard owner and his dog Chopper chase down the 4 boys, he tells Teddy that his dad is a loonie.  It just sort of stuck with us and so we started calling massive fans of any film, a loonie.  But the alliteration with LOTR worked really well.  "You're a Lord of the Rings loonie."  And a term was born.  

It caught one and everyone got called a loonie when there favourite franchise came out with another film.  

We had fun with it.  I certainly mean no offense or harm to anyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, baumer said:

We're all allowed to have dissenting opinions, but people should at least try and not express those opinions in the exact same way every time. Putting variety in your/our statements should be encouraged and lead to better discussions than just saying "lol this is gonna suck" every time a topic you personally dislike is brought up, even if thats how you feel.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clockwork said:

We're all allowed to have dissenting opinions, but people should at least try not to express those opinions in the exact same way every time. Putting variety in your/our statements should be encouraged and lead to better discussions than just saying "lol this is gonna suck" every time a topic you personally dislike is brought up, even if thats how you feel.

That's a good point.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Well, it's a place to talk about movies.  If there is just one side to the discussion all the time, how does that make it worth discussing?  I personally feel these forums should entertain both sides of the discussion.  Do his words hurt anyone's feelings?  If they do, then that's on them.  

I don't ever remember anyone telling the members here to stop talking smack about Twilight or Transformers.  Are there certain franchises that are off base but others are fine?  Genuinely curious about this.

Well no, I obviously want multiple sides when it comes to discussion of a movie, whether it be its quality, box office performance, etc. The people discussing here are all adults, so they can handle differing viewpoints, and the Wizarding World movies are in a "too big to fail" franchise created by people richer than we will ever be. I think it's fair to knock these movies down a few pegs. If anything, the general discussion of Fantastic Beasts 3 has been very, very, very negative. Even Potter fans are talking about their issues with these movies and the fiscal performance of this one. Which is totally, 100% fine. Healthy even. The issue comes when you just repeat yourself over and over again. And like sure that's not breaking any rules, and Marston's not in trouble, but it's still not something people like. Like Clockwork says, you just say the same thing with little variation, especially in a negative light, it can be tiresome and, frankly, very unproductive.

And honestly, unless you really have something to say or want to let out, I think everybody would do better to post less in threads for movies they don't care about. If you don't like Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts, why go into those threads, post a "lol this is gonna bomb" remark, and then run out? You're just killing people's moods and you seem kind of jerkish. I'll admit I am far from perfect in this regard, and as somebody who really does not care for this series, I have expressed negative sentiment that others may not like. But I still at least try and bring something productive and engaging in my posts and I only really post when I feel it's truly necessary and brings value. Plus, I am trying to do better in curbing my tongue and not killing other people's good vibes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

YouTube dislikes are not viewable anymore, but even if they were, I seriously doubt that people on YouTube would mass dislike the trailer on the count of J.K. Rowling’s transphobia. This is YouTube we’re talking about. It’s more likely that they’d dislike the trailer for recasting Grindelwald. 

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

YouTube dislikes are not viewable anymore, but even if they were, I seriously doubt that people on YouTube would mass dislike the trailer on the count of J.K. Rowling’s transphobia. This is YouTube we’re talking about. It’s more likely that they’d dislike the trailer for recasting Grindelwald. 

If you have the YouTube enhancer browser extension enabled it shows the amount of dislikes on a video, although I imagine most dont have that so regardless it wont show the amount of dislikes on a trailer. And yeah I don't remember the last time a trailer had a whole bunch of dislikes or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.