Eric Deetz

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

With that one spoiler element, I don't think a streamer picking it up is possible without a very wide release...but this sounds like an insanely risky bet for that. I dunno 

I was betting on a streamer (Netflix, Apple or Amazon) simply because they're the ones who have money to burn. None of the traditional studios will voluntarily lose 100M. Even with a wide global release I don't see it making more than 40M WW.

He’s gonna have to lower his demands significantly if he wants one of the decently well-known distributors to take on this film. Not even a streamer wants to waste a ton of money on a film with zero box office and award prospects that’s gonna lose whatever buzz it has outside of hardcore cinephiles a week from now.

• Like 1

Big tech like films that have the potential to drive numbers or garner important nominations/awards. This film won’t drive numbers, it’s not Killers of the Flower Moon or something. Coppola is no Scorsese and Driver is no Leo. It’s also getting panned so there’s going to be very little buzz or engagement months from now whenever it finishes it’s probably very short theatrical run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DInky said:

I was betting on a streamer (Netflix, Apple or Amazon) simply because they're the ones who have money to burn. None of the traditional studios will voluntarily lose 100M. Even with a wide global release I don't see it making more than 40M WW.

The problem is with that element it makes any sort of home/streaming release impractical. Any money it makes has to be in theaters 

Possibly muted awards chances, not great box office chances, potential complications with streaming...someone's gotta be willing to just eat 100 mil to say they released Coppolas last movie 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The problem is with that element it makes any sort of home/streaming release impractical. Any money it makes has to be in theaters 

Possibly muted awards chances, not great box office chances, potential complications with streaming...someone's gotta be willing to just eat 100 mil to say they released Coppolas last movie 

I think it’s more likely that Coppola caves and reduces his demands. He’s not getting 100m marketing budget for this. 

Edited by babz06

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Lol that thing about

Hide contents

Someone getting up in the audience to ask a question to Adam Driver's character

is amazing. I wonder if FFC really expected that as part of his distribution terms

I could see this happening for a limited release maybe? (That IMAX run only being in 22 cities makes this more plausible)...but def not wide. Unless, THIS is why he needs 100m for distribution! Pay all the actors globally!

They're gonna have to offer some kind of alternative cut for TV and cheap exhibition showings. I'm sure some art houses might be willing to oblige on an occasional basis with a screening "as the director intended"

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

I could see this happening for a limited release maybe? (That IMAX run only being in 22 cities makes this more plausible)...but def not wide. Unless, THIS is why he needs 100m for distribution! Pay all the actors globally!

That's the big thing: who's doing this. Studio rep? Distributor rep? Random fucking Cinemark employees?

Posted (edited)

65 on MC now

Reviews are actually quite decent, considering it’s strong divisive aspect 

If it win something at Cannes, maybe he can still have a shot at selling this well. Triangle of Sadness won Best Picture with very similar reviews 

If it doesn’t win, yeah i think he’ll have to accept a way smaller price and distribution with NEON or similar studio.

Edited by ThomasNicole

I dont know how to feel about the fact that on RT the supposedly awful the strangers movie coming out next week has a higher top critic average rating that coppola's passion project; makes me wonder about the democratization of movie reviewing and its consequences

17 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I dont know how to feel about the fact that on RT the supposedly awful the strangers movie coming out next week has a higher top critic average rating that coppola's passion project; makes me wonder about the democratization of movie reviewing and its consequences

some times autuer driven movies suck ass. that's art for ya!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

How to feel about it is that people have opinions and sometimes trashy horror franchise sequels are still better executed than ambitious original passion projects

Obviously means Coppola should have spent time and energy instead on Bram Stoker's Dracula 2: Electric Boogaloo 

up to 65 on metacritic

I think we've seen enough to determine that the movie is not fundamentally broken or anything, some people just really dont "vibe" with it for lack of a better term

if it manages to climb a bit more, wouldn't surprise if it manages to walk out of cannes with an award