terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

Captain Marvel dropped almost 45% from last week. Is that considered some sort of phenomenal hold? It is doing great on weekends though. I expect around 7.5-7.8 million. That would be about 40% drop from last week and a good hold. It should be around 385-386 by Sunday. 

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Bleh. Boring weekend. How much do you guys think would a GOT season premiere would do if it got a theatrical release 

I think I see them play from time to time, for example:

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-times/game-of-thrones-season-8-premiere-139810/oakland-ca/?date=4/14/2019

Wide release with marketing that a good question.

11 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Captain Marvel dropped almost 45% from last week. Is that considered some sort of phenomenal hold? It is doing great on weekends though. I expect around 7.5-7.8 million. That would be about 40% drop from last week and a good hold. It should be around 385-386 by Sunday. 

You are aware about at certain days schools out for some and this week for none?

Beside: 42% is nearer to 40 than to 45, strange way to round down.. 😉

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Everything should see great holds starting this Monday with spring break and then Easter weekend.

here was today last day of school (my pupils will be very happy I guess), 2 weeks of school holiday coming up!

Just now, terrestrial said:

You are aware about at certain days schools out for some and this week for none?

Beside: 42% is nearer to 40 than to 45, strange way to round down.. 😉

What do you mean? I wrote that it would have about a 40% drop this weekend. I think you misread my post. It dropped about 45% from last Thursday. I believe that is what I posted. 

14 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Following BP:

I originally forecasted 8.9 last Sunday onboard the hype train for Shazam and CM due to awful competition this week.

That was me basically predicting the high end of my range (which worked the last 2 weeks haha). 

Now I would gather low end is 7.5 high is 8.5 so 8.2 sounds perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

What do you mean? I wrote that it would have about a 40% drop this weekend. I think you misread my post. It dropped about 45% from last Thursday. I believe that is what I posted. 

It droped 42% per complete week, (weekly to weekly) that was what I meant  you meant.

Someone told this week is the first week no school / higher school is out, but the past few weeks a few had free days or so. Not sure if that is the case with last Thursday (or Friday), hence my question.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Some were out of school last week which inflated numbers for everyone a bit hence the increase on Thursday which happened only once for Captain Marvel thus far. The last two weekends it dropped about 40% flat with much better competition than what is coming out this week. 

Sure it could drop 40% this week, that would be 7.45 million which is on the low side of basically every projection everywhere. We shall see. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It droped 42% per complete week, (weekly to weekly) that was what I meant  you meant.

Someone told this week is the first week no school / higher school is out, but the past few weeks a few had free days or so. Not sure if that is the case with last Thursday (or Friday), hence my question.

Oh okay. No, I was comparing Thursdays. I should have been clearer. And yes, I hope that it’s true that the box office will see a more robust weekend due to more schools being in this week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

The weekdays were not good to any film this week so it's understable. Next week's weekdays should amazing. 

• Like 2

Oh, good ol' spring break. The holiday week that literally spans two months. This week was probably the week with the least amount of schools off. Most colleges/public schools had breaks in mid-late march, kind of tailing off the past two weeks to come to a halt for this week. And then comes the two weeks surrounding Easter where the private/Christian schools all have one or the other off (or some weird 7-day weekend type of thing)

Edited by Djsoke

I think the main confusion with Shazam is that it seems to drop more than a superhero movie with over 90 % on RT and an A cinemascore should do. If it had good word of mouth the drops should be smaller than they really are.

I mean that's fair. It's not dropping more than average. Perhaps it's the high hopes and expectations of many that incredible reviews brought. Average doesn't always feel good especially if the movie is perceived to be excellent by critics and WOM.