sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I think that many people will agree with my assessment. IW it's just better in every respect: a) Thanos, a great  villain, as good as Darth Vader. b) Great action set-pieces where the viewer clearly understands what is going on and with real consequences. c) Great management of several characters. d) Better pacing. e) Better dialogues, script and jokes. f) Much better CGI. 

Endgame, even though adequate in itself, feels more like an anti-climax by comparison. I am sure many viewers agree with this evaluation. 

Edit: The reduction of Thor into a comic relief cliche doesn't help either. 

You are correct but don’t try to fight the mob here, you will lose. Matrix reloaded did MUCH better than matrix, the POTC sequels did better than the first film e.t.c that doesn’t mean that they were superior films. 

i believe much of america was watching the live revelation that the rockets are frauds and that there will be big jumps today now that we can sleep soundly knowing harden sucks

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, cory said:

Endgame is only around 58-60M right now. 

Nope. It’s at 75 million admissions. A head of TDK which is at 74 million. Nice of you to conveniently shave off about 15 million admissions. 😂 

You sounds like a Nolanite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I cant sometimes with some of the arguments here.

Endgame has a great chance to pass Avatar worldwide.

Read that again. Please.

No one would have thought that that was possible before it released. Over IW and TFA? Sure. Over Titanic? Possible, but difficult. Over Avatar? Nope, too far away. And now here we are.

I personally think anyone wo uses words like "disappointing", "bad" or "poor" in the context of describing the absolutely insane and historic run Endgame is having, needs ... god, i cant put this all too nicely.

Those people should just think about what they're saying.

• Like 12

Just for the information of those interested in the #1 worldwide spot you should know Endgame will have to put a serious gap between itself and Avatar if it wishes to keep it's place above Avatar.

Jim is asked: When Titanic hits theaters again in December, will you go see it?

"Yeah, I want to see it in its entirety. I want to bring family and friends to see it in HDR. . . . Seeing a film that everybody knows, but seeing it in HDR in 3-D with proper light levels on a Dolby Vision laser projector—it’s really a glimpse of the future. . . . We had the whole film remastered in HDR, and it’s stunning. It’s beyond 70 millimeter, it’s beyond any format that you’ve seen before. What we’re trying to do is get Paramount and Fox to support the rollout of the Dolby Vision cinema project. It occurred to me, hey, we’ve got a movie that’s an evergreen that people love, why don’t we slam it into theaters and let people see it, not in a way it should be seen, but a way far beyond what any movie looks like right now, other than some new films are being authored in HDR? Obviously the [new] Avatar films will be [in Dolby Vision] as well, and in fact, we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing."

Jim will want as many Dolby screens as possible ready for Avatar 2 so it's higher possible we get the re-release before Avatar 2.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I too am disappointed that Endgame is going to end up only being the #1 movie all-time on Earth.  

Why didn't they focus more heavily on the Lunar and Martian markets?

Losing Asgard cut out a big market

• Haha 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

I cant sometimes with some of the arguments here.

Endgame has a great chance to pass Avatar worldwide.

Read that again. Please.

No one would have thought that that was possible before it released. Over IW and TFA? Sure. Over Titanic? Possible, but difficult. Over Avatar? Nope, too far away. And now here we are.

I personally think anyone wo uses words like "disappointing", "bad" or "poor" in the context of describing the absolutely insane and historic run Endgame is having, needs ... god, i cant put this all too nicely.

Those people should just think about what they're saying.

Being a tad disappointed with Endgame's legs (with such a big opening, we shouldn't have expected great legs anyway) != being disappointed with Endgame's overall run. That opening was insane, and even having a decent shot beating Avatar already is an impressive accomplishment.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Just for the information of those interested in the #1 worldwide spot you should know Endgame will have to put a serious gap between itself and Avatar if it wishes to keep it's place above Avatar.

When Titanic hits theaters again in December, will you go see it?

Yeah, I want to see it in its entirety. I want to bring family and friends to see it in HDR. . . . Seeing a film that everybody knows, but seeing it in HDR in 3-D with proper light levels on a Dolby Vision laser projector—it’s really a glimpse of the future. . . . We had the whole film remastered in HDR, and it’s stunning. It’s beyond 70 millimeter, it’s beyond any format that you’ve seen before. What we’re trying to do is get Paramount and Fox to support the rollout of the Dolby Vision cinema project. It occurred to me, hey, we’ve got a movie that’s an evergreen that people love, why don’t we slam it into theaters and let people see it, not in a way it should be seen, but a way far beyond what any movie looks like right now, other than some new films are being authored in HDR? Obviously the [new] Avatar films will be [in Dolby Vision] as well, and in fact, we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing.

Ofc Cameron was planning to do an Avatar re-release, but I'm not sure if Disney would still let him release it

WIDE (1000+)

# TITLE WEEKEND   LOCATIONS   AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 Avengers: Endgame $65,000,000 -56% 4,662 0 $13,943 $725,445,739 3 Disney
2 POKÉMON Detective Pikachu $55,000,000 4,202 $13,089 $55,000,000 1 Warner Bros.
3 The Hustle $14,000,000 3,007 $4,656 $14,000,000 1 United Artists Releasing
4 Long Shot $6,500,000 -33% 3,230 0 $2,012 $20,111,935 2 Lionsgate
5 The Intruder $6,200,000 -43% 2,222 0 $2,790 $20,575,126 2 Sony / Screen Gems
6 Poms $5,500,000 2,750 $2,000 $5,500,000 1 STX Entertainment
7 UglyDolls $4,200,000 -51% 3,652 0 $1,150 $14,560,796 2 STX Entertainment
8 Breakthrough $2,600,000 -33% 1,902 -982 $1,367 $37,240,806 4 20th Century Fox
9 Captain Marvel $2,400,000 -44% 1,504 -739 $1,596 $424,364,079 10 Disney
10 Tolkien $2,300,000 1,495 $1,538 $2,300,000 1 Fox Searchlight
11 The Curse of La Llorona $1,800,000 -51% 1,182 -1358 $1,523 $51,400,031 4 Warner Bros. / New Line
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim is asked: When Titanic hits theaters again in December, will you go see it?

Yeah, I want to see it in its entirety. I want to bring family and friends to see it in HDR. . . . Seeing a film that everybody knows, but seeing it in HDR in 3-D with proper light levels on a Dolby Vision laser projector—it’s really a glimpse of the future. . . . We had the whole film remastered in HDR, and it’s stunning. It’s beyond 70 millimeter, it’s beyond any format that you’ve seen before. What we’re trying to do is get Paramount and Fox to support the rollout of the Dolby Vision cinema project. It occurred to me, hey, we’ve got a movie that’s an evergreen that people love, why don’t we slam it into theaters and let people see it, not in a way it should be seen, but a way far beyond what any movie looks like right now, other than some new films are being authored in HDR? Obviously the [new] Avatar films will be [in Dolby Vision] as well, and in fact, we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing.

So now that avatar 2 is at least  2 1/2 years away, you will start focusing on a supposed rerelease of the first avatar ? Damn.....

Edited by Thrylos 7

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

i believe much of america was watching the live revelation that the rockets are frauds and that there will be big jumps today now that we can sleep soundly knowing harden sucks

Gawd damn Rockets. I can’t take the freaking warriors winning another title. Best shot is Milwaukee now. KD might be back by then. 2nd straight year the rockets choked. 

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, stealthyfrog said:

Being a tad disappointed with Endgame's legs (with such a big opening, we shouldn't have expected great legs anyway) != being disappointed with Endgame's overall run. That opening was insane, and even having a decent shot beating Avatar already is an impressive accomplishment.

Ofc Cameron was planning to do an Avatar re-release, but I'm not sure if Disney would still let him release it

Sadly this could be the case, I really hate Disney with all my heart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

Nope. It’s at 75 million admissions. A head of TDK which is at 74 million. Nice of you to conveniently shave off about 15 million admissions. 😂 

You sounds like a Nolanite. 

Even Shrek 2 has more admissions than TDK

• Thanks 1