sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Thomas Beck said:

So people mainly want to to see bigger than life movies at the cinema. Makes sense as you might just as well see anything else comfortably in your home, but a good spectacle requires the big screen.

Pokemon is bigger than life. It's a whole different ecosystems with animals that have special powers that often battle each other. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Eh, the developers also share a large blame. They didn't have a direction on where they wanted to go with the game, constantly over promising, under delivering and going back and forth between implementing various things. 

EA of course is far from blameless, but I can't really defend Bioware anymore either. Jason Schreier's breakdown on the whole thing is a damning look for both parties involved between EA/Bioware.

When you can go back and look at the development of Inquisition, Andromeda, and now Anthem, it's clear that the Bioware of today is not the Bioware from before and it will likely never be that again, assuming EA doesn't just shut them down completely. 

I don't think they ever recovered from the good doctors retiring.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I don’t think Pokémon has seen it’s potential

movie was based on spin off game with talking pikachu 

if they did it about actual mainline games with battling

Would have done a lot more 

The quirky premise and talking Pokemon was the hook that got general audiences interested. GA would be even less interested in a film based on the anime or video game storylines.

That said, this was a good opening number. For a series that is unproven theatrically in live action, to open this high can only be seen as a win. The ridiculous expectations some of you put on this is why it’s suddenly seen as a “disappointment” when it’s anything but (at least domestically).

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Pokemon is bigger than life. It's a whole different ecosystems with animals that have special powers that often battle each other. 

But Pikachu wasn't really about Pokemon battles. It did have a few visual spectacle scenes, though. (The sequel should probably cut back on those spectacle scenes to save money)

• Community Manager

Just now, stealthyfrog said:

But Pikachu wasn't really about Pokemon battles. It did have a few visual spectacle scenes, though. (The sequel should probably cut back on those spectacle scenes to save money)

Which will ironically hurt it's box office potential way more lol. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

US made serious bank. IT 2 will as well.

Sure, but the issue is that CBM's are an exploitable IP where you can crank out three a year from one studio and have them dominate the marketplace.  You can't do that with IT 2, which cannot have a sequel/large quantity of spin-off's.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

We'll never know. We're not getting a straight adaptation of the original games or anime.

Obviously not now that's for sure, unless Disney buys Nintendo and does it.

I've never been huge into Pokemon, it was never really my thing, but I always felt that a movie version should be its own beast with elements of the various games. Like the hero is trying to be the very best like no one ever was and instead of a Pikachu his main would either be a Squirtle or a Charmander. 

I'm still convinced a live action Digimon movie would work better since all the monsters talk and most of the battle sequences are like superhero battles anyway, all good vs evil.

• Community Manager
Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Obviously not now that's for sure, unless Disney buys Nintendo and does it.

I've never been huge into Pokemon, it was never really my thing, but I always felt that a movie version should be its own beast with elements of the various games. Like the hero is trying to be the very best like no one ever was and instead of a Pikachu his main would either be a Squirtle or a Charmander. 

I'm still convinced a live action Digimon movie would work better since all the monsters talk and most of the battle sequences are like superhero battles anyway, all good vs evil.

If DP had worked out enough to do a mainline game, the main character's main would probably be Eevee. He would eventually get Squitle/Charmander/Bulbasaur (since they would likely adapt Yellow over Red/Blue). 

I don't have a problem with CBMs making what they do, it's that little else seems to be grabbing people.

If people do start to get tired of superhero movies, I fear cinema as a whole might just go down with them.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 10

Just now, That One Guy said:

Sure, but the issue is that CBM's are an exploitable IP where you can crank out three a year from one studio and have them dominate the marketplace.  You can't do that with IT 2, which cannot have a sequel/large quantity of spin-off's.

Marsh: An IT Story (I wouldn't be against this by the way. Always good to see Chastain doing more work)

• ...wtf 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, cookie said:

I don't have a problem with CBMs making what they do, it's that little else seems to be grabbing people.

If people do start to get tired of superhero movies, I fear cinema as a whole might just go down with them.

At least movie theaters would. Cinema would move exclusively straight to Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/whatever. What a sad that's going to be.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The quirky premise and talking Pokemon was the hook that got general audiences interested. GA would be even less interested in a film based on the anime or video game storylines.

That said, this was a good opening number. For a series that is unproven theatrically in live action, to open this high can only be seen as a win. The ridiculous expectations some of you put on this is why it’s suddenly seen as a “disappointment” when it’s anything but (at least domestically).

Yeah movie is doing fine for 150 million dollar movie 

From a video game adaptation perspective. 

It did 23 million more OW than rampage 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not to be a dick, but how could one even think that to begin with? That’s like thinking that Harry Potter is a Star Wars character. 

I didn't grow up playing videogames. Everything I know about these characters is from Super Smash Bros. tbh.