sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why do people think Endgame had such a big drop this week? Last week kinda made sense given movies tend to have bigger drops in their second weekend but I expected a bigger hold this time around. Was Pikachu just too big of a release not to have an effect?

As I said, I think it’s the DH2 effect. People were in a rush to see the movie due to the finale angle, as well as the cliffhanger in IW, and as a result, the movie’s legs have taken a hit. It doesn’t really matter, though. The movie is still making a crazy amount of money, and Disney would have to be crazy to not be satisfied by it. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, MrPink said:

I never saw Warcraft and don't know your take on it.

And while I concede that it's a bad movie, it also has Jared Harris. (WATCH CHERNOBYL, HBO on MONDAYS, 9 EST/8PM CST)

My take on Warcraft is that it is death.  Eternal suffering.  Which means Resident Evil Apocalypse is also death/eternal suffering.

Not even Jared Harris can save it.

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Also, don't give me the not cool, but I enjoyed Resident Evil Apocalypse. It's got my man Jared Harris so I can't hate.

BECAUSE HE WAS CAUGHT WITH CHEWING GUM ON HIS PUBIS

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

More than the 160 million that was predicted 

161m is the current estimated OW gross (minus the 10 or so it made in Japan last week) for Pikachu which is a whopping 0.6% more than what Deadline and I said. 

10 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I am curious if Spider-Man Far From Home will be the first Spider-Man film to cross 1B WW. 

I don't see how it fails to do so.  That's just $110m more.  It should increase domestically and O/S markets have been expanding like crazy for the MCU and the character as portrayed by Holland has been very well embraced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Edge of Tomorrow >>>>>>>>>> every video game movie

hell, Edge of Tomorrow >> most big budget movies of the last decade

It was based on sci-fi novel so why the comp?

I loved it except for the last 20 murky sloppy minutes.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It was based on sci-fi novel so why the comp?

I loved it except for the last 20 murky sloppy minutes.

It captures video game mechanics on screen better than actual video game movies...

13 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why do people think Endgame had such a big drop this week? Last week kinda made sense given movies tend to have bigger drops in their second weekend but I expected a bigger hold this time around. Was Pikachu just too big of a release not to have an effect?

Because the opening was 357m, that is like Aquaman entire run in 3 and half days, even if it drop like 75% from here like some of the horror with C+ cinemascore, it is understandable.  

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

161m is the current estimated OW gross (minus the 10 or so it made in Japan last week) for Pikachu which is a whopping 0.6% more than what Deadline and I said. 

That’s why we had a confusion because of not adding japan 

the movie has done 12.3 million in japan 

shazam released 2 weeks after in japan and did 1.7 million OW. 

So the difference is minimal 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

As I said, I think it’s the DH2 effect. People were in a rush to see the movie due to the finale angle, as well as the cliffhanger in IW, and as a result, the movie’s legs have taken a hit. It doesn’t really matter, though. The movie is still making a crazy amount of money, and Disney would have to be crazy to not be satisfied by it. 

Yeah, it's already made more than any reasonable person could've asked for. I'm just hoping for a little more of that hype to continue into Far From Home.