sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Is there a Far From Home < Homecoming club out there?

Why would it drop when the character might arguably be more popular post-Infinity War/Endgame than when Homecoming came out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Why would it drop when the character might arguably be more popular post-Infinity War/Endgame than when Homecoming came out?

Homecoming generated solid amount of goodwill, not even counting IW+EG. Whereas TASM2 generated a whole lot of nada. (I agree that FFH BO will be bonkers - CM numbers+)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Isn’t that the point of a club?  To go against the grain and predict something that seems outlandish but could still happen?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't have a problem with CBMs making what they do, it's that little else seems to be grabbing people.

If people do start to get tired of superhero movies, I fear cinema as a whole might just go down with them.

It's pretty much inevitable, at least in North America. No way do traditional movie theaters stick around by 2050 or so. It'll be Alamo Drafthouse type of set-ups while mid and low budget movies go straight to streaming. 

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

rank the passable video game movies:

1. Detective Pikachu

2. Resident Evil: Retribution

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

4. Tomb Raider

5. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

6. Resident Evil: Afterlife

7. Assassin's Creed

the rest are either bad or borderline unwatchable

Mortal Kombat is silly and stupid but in a good way. Paul W.S. Anderson is the MVP of video game movies, much as everyone rags on him.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

a Halo movie could have made bank. Still think it can

Halo have have one of the best songs in videogame history hands down

if it happen, easy 100+ in china

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ed Boon, the chief of the Mortal Kombat franchise says a new MK movie is in developement.

I wonder if James Wan is still producing. I think he was involved in a previous circle of MK’s development hell.

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Except that you literally could since IT is part of the Stephen King Universe 😂

Except Stephen King’s adaptations are spread out across multiple studios and there’s no way in hell a studio actually attempts have them all connect to each other explicitly

Edited by That One Guy

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

The only way I could see that club happening is if FFH was BVS-level bad

BvS was bad but at least it had some entertainment value in parts.

SMH was just bland AF, which is a worse sin in my book.

The last FFH trailer looks to follow the same course.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyK said:

BvS was bad but at least it had some entertainment value in parts.

SMH was just bland AF, which is a worse sin in my book.

The last FFH trailer looks to follow the same course.

I meant BVS-level bad to the general public. I don't like BVS but I actually don't think it's as bad as some claim. But it's undeniable that SMH was much better-received by audiences than BVS.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

No it's not, please don't spout misinformation people may believe it. Jim/Lightstorm owns the Avatar IP.

Yes, Lightstorm owns the Avatar IP but I think you're underestimating Fox's financial contributions to make the 1st one and the upcoming sequels. For all we know, maybe Fox had a greater share in the profits from Avatar than Jim. I've read that Jim's share in the Avatar profit is $350M. And I refuse to believe that Avatar's overall profit is only $700M. Fox and 2 other financiers (I forgot the name of the 2 companies) must have gotten the greater share of the profits. And for all we know, maybe Fox also has greater financial contributions in making the Avatar sequels than Jim.

• Astonished 1

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't have a problem with CBMs making what they do, it's that little else seems to be grabbing people.

If people do start to get tired of superhero movies, I fear cinema as a whole might just go down with them.

Domestically, the things doing well besides CBMs are most of the Star Wars universe,  a good swath of remakes and reboots, and Chris Nolan films. Globally we can add the Fast & Furious franchise. We'll soon know how those spinoffs do.

So it is not all CBMs. However, they are pretty dominant. I think a lot of this has to do with generational changes. Boomers do still spend money, but they are slowing down and not going out as much as they used to. The generation driving the motion picture industry now is Gen-X and we grew up reading comics. This era may last for quite a while yet if I'm right.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

But Disney owns the distribution rights to the next four films, which means that they’ll receive a slice of the pie. 

Not just the distribution rights. They also share in that $1B budget for all 4 sequels.