sfran43

Tuesday (5/21) Numbers: John Wick 3 $6.50M | Avengers Endgame $2.90M | Pokemon: DP $2.75M

1 hour ago, baumer said:

To those of you who are questioning the actual meaning behind the term Loony, I will have you know that term has gone back to the very beginning of box Office mojo. It went back to the lord of the ring loonies and it was a term that me and Maverick and one other guy named Rawsaw had basically coined or created. So all due respect to those of you who think you know the meaning behind it, trust me when I say you don't because I'm kind of the dude that created it LOL and it was a term of affection back in the day.

I mean, that’s cool, it’s a nice glimpse into some community history, but... being part of a group to popularize a phrase in a certain subculture doesn’t guarantee  you’ll be able to control how it’s meaning and interpretation evolve 15+ years later. Most people around here weren’t active during LotR/BOM forum days. Most of the time you see someone called a loonie nowadays, I’m quite confident that they’re oblivious to this history and mean the normal English “loonie” —  a lunatic. Someone who is crazy. An insult.       

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

20mn is best case scenario for me. If it really go for 22.5, *870 will be back on the menu boys.gif*

For 4 day?

20 seems very doable for 4 days. IW did 22.4

Edited by cdsacken

Re that BOP prediction, 22.4 seems just about right. It’s exactly IW’s raw #, slightly worse drop vs approximately similar competition after (likely) similar weekdays. If it does hit that it would still be on track for O/U 850 + possible Labor Day goodies.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Oh these are 4 days? Well, I have 4 days at $22.5-23mn.

Yeah, BOP shows extended rather than 3 day by default when doing a forecast for a long weekend. Bit of a hassle imo, but 🤷‍♂️. We’re on the same page for the weekend and the weekend multi then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How the heck did Endgame drop for Tuesday?

It made 2m in US and 1.1m in canada on monday give or take..then it increased to around 2.6m in US and decreased to around 300k in canada on tuesday... why? Because of a holiday in canada called victory day on monday and for some reason that gives us another clue that endgame is weekend/holiday skewing flick...since the difference between canadian and US population and bo ratio between canadian monday gross and US monday gross is like 1:13 for former and as you can see above 1:2 for latter, we can expect nice MDW numbers too.. amazing and inexplicable canada monday reminiscent of avengers and spider man which bodes well for its future legs and giving me A+ cinemascore relevance flashbacks ^^

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How the heck did Endgame drop for Tuesday?

It did great on the holiday Monday. Drop was expected. Same for IW, Gotg2, CW, AoU, IM3, TA. Every MCU movie in this release window does it.

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It did great on the holiday Monday. Drop was expected. Same for IW, Gotg2, CW, AoU, IM3, TA. Every MCU movie in this release window does it.

Yeah, but look at the nuances... its either 3h run time or A+ cinemascore that inflated it so much compared to those you mentioned.. 

TTVOMJ

Film (Distributor) Weekend
Gross
Total
Gross
%
Change
Week
#
1 Aladdin (Disney) $88.0 M $88.0 M NEW 1
2 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
(Lionsgate / Summit)
$31.0 M $107.8 M -45% 2
3 Avengers: Endgame (Disney) $22.0 M $803.3 M -27% 5
4 Pokémon Detective Pikachu
(Warner / Legendary)
$17.8 M $120.5 M -29% 3
5 Brightburn (Sony / Screen Gems) $11.5 M $11.5 M NEW 1
6 Booksmart
(United Artists Releasing / Annapurna)
$9.0 M $9.0 M NEW 1
7 A Dog's Journey (Universal / Amblin) $6.3 M $17.2 M -22% 2
8 The Hustle
(United Artists Releasing / MGM)
$4.7 M $30.7 M -23% 3
9 The Intruder (Sony / Screen Gems) $3.0 M $32.6 M -25% 4
10 Long Shot (Lionsgate / Summit) $2.2 M $29.3 M -34% 4
Edited by sfran43

Pointing out that Elf's 4th weekend (Thanksgiving Weekend - 2003) was more than EG's 4th weekend certainly is a take alright.

I absolutely refuse to give the link a click so I don't care how 'reasonable' the arguments are.  The title is pure and utter bullshit and deserves to be mocked vociferously.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Pointing out that Elf's 4th weekend (Thanksgiving Weekend - 2003) was more than EG's 4th weekend certainly is a take alright.

I absolutely refuse to give the link a click so I don't care how 'reasonable' the arguments are.  The title is pure and utter bullshit and deserves to be mocked vociferously.

Elf is also adjusted for inflation.  It’s a blah blah blah frontloaded movies and adjusted for inflation blah blah blah argument. 

Nothing that hasn’t been argued to death here for the past 4 weeks.

Edited by Jim Shorts
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The arguments are not strong at all, and some of the math is very fishy, like someone just quickly googled the data and came to quick conclusions.  The only way Endgame fell short of expectation sort of is when they were raised greatly by the opening weekend and spillover weekdays.  We thought with an A+ CinemaScore it would follow normal trends, so we predicted higher numbers.  However, Endgame is uncharted territory and really has no comparisons, so it bucking those trends is not shocking and can hardly be viewed as a disappointment.  Honestly, looking at raw money made after opening weekend you can see the A+ CinemaScore in effect, it did not crash.  What Endgame did not match was the mutiplier/percentage usually made after opening weekend by A+ films.  Being a bit underwhelmed by the drops makes sense, but saying it feel short of overall expectations is ridiculous.  Like I said, it will only fall short of the absolutely wild and hyped filled post-opening weekend predicitons (I will admit I got caught up in this too, but it was reasonable at the time based on the data we had).  Everything else, such as pre-release expectations, it absolutely demolished.  Tell someone these numbers a month ago and you were called a delusional fanboy.  Seeing anyone trying to spin this as bad is a joke.  The Cameron stans bragging that if it does beat Avatar it will not be by much are being ridiculous.  A month ago they were saying that Avatar was impossible and that even Titanic was not super likely.  But clearly not meeting the most wild predictions is falling below expectations, makes sense.

51 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Pikachu & Wick 3 going towards a final $160M - $180M territory

Pikachu touching 160 would be a miracle. It’s not easy to add 2x the 4-day, and Pika would need to do better (or have a much better 4-day than currently forecasted).

• Like 1