sfran43

Tuesday (5/21) Numbers: John Wick 3 $6.50M | Avengers Endgame $2.90M | Pokemon: DP $2.75M

45 minutes ago, baumer said:

my thoughts exactly. I cannot believe he actually tweeted that out without understanding why. I mean he knows the box office is both Canada and the United States and yet you didn't know Monday was a holiday in Canada? Weird.

I guess he wanted to be the first to post updated numbers for some attention, while coming out looking like inexperienced noob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tawasal said:

He is a box office expert, and doesn't know why monday was unusual. And it's damn closing to IW's 2.859m 

Is he a box office expert? Ive seen better "experts" on this site including myself and I happen to pull numbers out of my ass most of the time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Is he a box office expert? Ive seen better "experts" on this site including myself and I happen to pull numbers out of my ass most of the time. 

According to is linked:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottmendelson

Film studies at school.

Worked a little bit in movies but doing Dvd quality control, than just film criticism for magazine, so no expertise at all it seem, and I do not remember ever reading anything from him that would show.

Maybe he did talk more to some actual expert than the average contributor here, but otherwise do not seem to have anything in is background to make him more expert at it than the average BOT member. Not knowing about a Canada holiday boost make it even look like he do not have has access to numbers than some users here.

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

Well this is what his bio says in forbes. 

I know there a lot more experts on box office in here than him. 

I've studied the film industry, both academically and informally, and with an emphasis in box office analysis, for 28 years. I have extensively written about all of said subjects for the last ten years. My outlets for film criticism, box office commentary, and film-skewing scholarship have included The Huffington Post, Salon, and Film Threat. Follow me at @ScottMendelson and "like" The Ticket Booth on Facebook.

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Same weekly drops from the post VD Tues as:  

CW 777.4+40.2*1.18=825M

IM3 777.4+40.2*1.34=831M

AoU 777.4+40.2*1.50=838M

IW 777.4+40.2*1.815=850M

Not sure if VD is the week before Memorial Day every year, but it was for those 4.     

~840 I’d guess. Would be 1470 DOM+China, need 1320 OS-C. Dicey.    

Maybe 850 with a Labor Day push (none of the above 4 got one, but Endgame seems well positioned).

The numbers are going down with every update you make.

• Sad 1

Film Distributor 4-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Monday, May 27 % Change from Last Wknd
Aladdin (2019) Disney $75,700,000 $75,700,000 NEW
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum Lionsgate / Summit $29,700,000 $106,400,000 -48%
Avengers: Endgame Disney / Marvel $22,400,000 $803,700,000 -25%
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. $18,000,000 $121,100,000 -28%
Booksmart United Artists Releasing $10,300,000 $10,300,000 NEW
Brightburn Sony / Screen Gems $9,000,000 $9,000,000 NEW
A Dog’s Journey Universal $6,200,000 $16,800,000 -23%
The Hustle United Artists Releasing $4,400,000 $30,400,000 -28%
The Intruder Sony / Screen Gems $3,300,000 $33,000,000 -18%
Long Shot Lionsgate / Summit $2,600,000 $29,700,000 -22%
  • Like 1

To those of you who are questioning the actual meaning behind the term Loony, I will have you know that term has gone back to the very beginning of box Office mojo. It went back to the lord of the ring loonies and it was a term that me and Maverick and one other guy named Rawsaw had basically coined or created. So all due respect to those of you who think you know the meaning behind it, trust me when I say you don't because I'm kind of the dude that created it LOL and it was a term of affection back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

To those of you who are questioning the actual meaning behind the term Loony, I will have you know that term has gone back to the very beginning of box Office mojo. It went back to the lord of the ring loonies and it was a term that me and Maverick and one other guy named Rawsaw had basically coined or created. So all due respect to those of you who think you know the meaning behind it, trust me when I say you don't because I'm kind of the dude that created it LOL and it was a term of affection back in the day.

the good ol days.

• Like 2