Eric Duncan

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

https://deadline.com/2019/05/parasite-bong-joon-ho-us-opening-release-date-1202624421/

NEON has just dated the stateside release for Bong Joon-Ho’s Cannes Palme d’Or winner Parasite for Oct. 11 in New York and LA.

NEON will give the pic a traditional arthouse theatrical release, positioning Parasite for awards season. Still TBD if South Korea selects Parasite as their foreign film Oscar submission.

The CJ Entertainment opened in its homeland of South Korea today and is expected to rival Warner Bros./Legendary massive Godzilla: King of the Monsters for the top spot.

Parasite about a low-income family who works its way into a rich family’s lives as household employees with zany results won the Palme d’Or unanimously at Cannes.

Parasite marks Bong’s comeback to Korean language film following Netflix’s Okja and Weinstein Co./Radius’ Snowpiercer.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

if something like Cold War can get a best director nomination and with the academy getting more international every year i'm just saying why not make room for bong?

No way, better start stanning Goldfinch. 

Ugh October is sooo far away. This summer, The US releases looks pretty dire, would have loved to see Parasite then.

Can’t believe this is the very first time a Korean movie ever won the Grand Prize at Cannes.

• Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/south-korea-box-office-cannes-winner-parasite-has-25m-opening-1215125

Bong has always been huge in South Korea but this is a bit surprising. Parasite looks more like his smaller scale thriller stuff (Mother and Memories of Murder) and yet it's heading to Snowpiercer-Host boxoffice. 

The box office power of Palme d'or?

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

And this be 2020's Roma?

I dunno. Last year proved that the Academy is more willing to consider foreign-language films for outside categories than they've been in a long time. However, Roma had two things that Parasite doesn't: the aid of Netflix, and a less competitive overall year. Hulu, while having been able to land a Documentary nomination with Minding The Gap just last year, is much more untested in the Oscar field than the likes of Netflix and Amazon. And this just happens to be a year where many of the prestige/'Oscar-bait' films sound like they can really have an impact on the year if they are absolute knee-slapping great. I think I'd consider my 'this was a reall winner' threshold to be a Best Director nomination for Bong Joon-Ho; him getting nominated Pawlikowski-style would tickle me pink.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

And this be 2020's Roma?

if this does well with awards i don't think there's an easy 1:1 comparison to be made. Roma was helped a lot because Cuaron is an a-list director coming off a movie that won a bunch of oscars. that movie from a mexican director with no hollywood credentials probably just wins the foreign film award. Bong is loved and has done films in America too but it's such a different thing he's never really been on the awards radar before. plus i imagine this is darker and weirder than Roma.

Edited by CoolioD1