sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

1 hour ago, TMP said:

No it wasn't, if it was marketed better it would have opened a lot higher and it would have reached more of its potential. 

I actually agree with both of you. April turned out to be an impossible month for any cbm trying to compete with the one-two punch of CM and EG. There are only so many $$ to go around and Shazam would have been much better served as a holiday release anyway with its Christmas themes.

But the marketing also came up short. The second trailer should have come sooner, and then the final push, tv and print, should have focused on all the critical acclaim the film was getting. Those giant posters in NYC filled with white space could have been much more effectively used had they been plastered with quotes from critics.

Hopefully a whole new audience will see it on streaming and HV, and if so, the sequel could really pop, but yeah, Shazam was a missed opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm honestly confused by the support for Aladdin when the movie falls into the same pitfalls as BatB which this forum doesn't seem to be a huge fan of. It's more enjoyable I guess but that is really it. 

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's more enjoyable

What are you confused by lol? You said it yourself people enjoyed it more than BATB which is why it's being spoke of as BATB by members here.

???

1 minute ago, SweeneySwift said:

Godzilla '98 made $136mil in the US. Safe to say KOTM isn't coming close to even that, let alone 2014

to be fair in todays money that's $260M. It was a box office hit. may not be well liked but a lot of people went to see it. G98 and G14 were hits, its just KOTM that flopped. Tells you something i think. Maybe godzilla is a "once in a generation" novelty thing.

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Doubtful. 425-430. I projected 425 so that would be nice.

Unless i'm mis-remembering , it was at 390M last weekend, so made 19M this week, that international hold is quite good so it may have a little more gas in the tank?

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If it actually gets 4.8m I'd be pleased considering they removed 40% of screens in 10 days. 400 theaters left by the time FFH comes out ? :(

If anything, they've underestimated Sunday a bit (as usual). As per Deadline, 60%+ of students are now out of school. 
Sunday drops in the summer are quite small and AEG has one of the steepest estimated Sunday drops. 

Either way 4.8 is a fantastic number. 

PTA barely dropped this weekend, so demand is still there. 

Next weekend is Father's Day weekend.
Last year Infinity War stayed flat Sat - Sun on Father's Day, so  we can expect a good hold again. 

The weekend after that is Toy Story 4, so should have a decent hold again thanks to double features (though I think Aladdin will be the biggest benefactor)

The weekend after that is pre-FFH weekend. Might follow CM and get a decent drop for those who want to see it once more before FFH.

Considering the lack a big releases that weekend, Disney would be smart to get IMAX screens back for the one weekend before FFH takes them on Tuesday. How do i email Bob Iger? :P

So all in all, there is still money to be made domestically. 

If only International was holding better. 

It's certainly going to be a squeeker for #1 WW

• Like 2

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

If anything, they've underestimated Sunday a bit (as usual). As per Deadline, 60%+ of students are now out of school. 
Sunday drops in the summer are quite small and AEG has one of the steepest estimated Sunday drops. 

Either way 4.8 is a fantastic number. 

PTA barely dropped this weekend, so demand is still there. 

Next weekend is Father's Day weekend.
Last year Infinity War stayed flat Sat - Sun on Father's Day, so  we can expect a good hold again. 

The weekend after that is Toy Story 4, so should have a decent hold again thanks to double features (though I think Aladdin will be the biggest benefactor)

The weekend after that is pre-FFH weekend. Might follow CM and get a decent drop for those who want to see it once more before FFH.

Considering the lack a big releases that weekend, Disney would be smart to get IMAX screens back for the one weekend before FFH takes them on Tuesday. How do i email Bob Iger? :P

So all in all, there is still money to be made domestically. 

If only International was holding better. 

It's certainly going to be a squeeker for #1 WW

For everyone saying Disney doesn't care about WW I don't get it. That's like saying I don't care about gold medals I'd rather not try and stick with silver.

• Like 1