sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

Unless Mortal Kombat is a Deadpool-like live action cartoon that is equal parts comedy and action, its going to flop..... it will need to make fun of itself at every opportunity because general audiences will never take any of it seriously. Just saying the title out loud will make people sound dumb..... even if they do make a good and on purpose campy R rated movie out of it, it still probably wont clear 400 million worldwide.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

TLK is missing 3x, calling that now. Hard to imagine it being any better received than Aladdin, which is only go do around 3x, and it will for sure open higher. 

Aladdin had 4 day opening though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Unless Mortal Kombat is a Deadpool-like live action cartoon that is equal parts comedy and action, its going to flop..... it will need to make fun of itself at every opportunity because general audiences will never take any of it seriously. Just saying the title out loud will make people sound dumb..... even if they do make a good and on purpose campy R rated movie out of it, it still probably wont clear 400 million worldwide.

I grew up on Mortal Kombat in the 90s and the same with Aladdin, TLK, Marvel comic books and Tv-series etc etc. The Mortal Kombat nostalgia is underrated I would say it has the same nostalgia as Marvel who originally were beloved comic books that I myself grew up reading. 

I use to play Mortal kombat and so did all kids in the 90s.. Technology wise it was not logistically possible to make the perfect Mortal kombat movie back then but now we do in 2020. Imo if a credible director gets hold of MK it can replace Avengers and breakout next decade because they will target the same audience.

How can anyone not ever get moved by hearing the nostalgic legendary MK soundtrack

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

What a bummer boring weekend.

Nothing was really great in numbers. Phoenix is fantastically bad and SLOP2 not much better.

if you compare Aladdin to the only 2 films from MD that made over 300M you would get a range of 288-296M for it. Now it has been tracking ahead of both for 7 days so if that continues that range starts to inch upward. If it had gotten 26-27M this weekend then I think getting to 300M would look a fair bit more likely. Right now it feels like it may come up just short but that could change in the next few weeks.

it has been a pretty weak summer so far. Zilla is looking at right around 100M DOM, Phoenix is DOA. Rocketman is a little under where I thought it would be. SLOP2 could easily miss 150M DOM as I think much like Shazam it is in a bad spot where a movie opening before it is overindexing and then it has a movie in a couple of weeks that is going to chop off its legs. It's PTA isn't that much higher than Phoenix and lower than Zilla's OW. 

Disney's Statement

Cathleen Taff, who is Disney’s President of Theatrical Distribution, Franchise Management and Business & Audience Insights, says, “A great cast and filmmaking team tried to bring the franchise to an epic conclusion and it’s disappointing to see it’s not connecting… I think what’s going to matter is in terms of how these films will be remembered, hopefully it’s the combination and not the opening of the last one.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-aladdin-rocketman-salman-khan-bharat-china-global-international-box-office-1202629752/

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I grew up on Mortal Kombat in the 90s and the same with Aladdin, TLK, Marvel comic books and Tv-series etc etc. The Mortal Kombat nostalgia is underrated I would say it has the same nostalgia as Marvel who originally were beloved comic books that I myself grew up reading. 

I use to play Mortal kombat and so did all kids in the 90s.. Technology wise it was not logistically possible to make the perfect Mortal kombat movie back then but now we do in 2020. Imo if a credible director gets hold of MK it can replace Avengers and breakout next decade because they will target the same audience.

How can anyone not ever get moved by hearing the nostalgic legendary MK soundtrack

Sounds like the next Detective Pikachu.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Sounds like the next Detective Pikachu.

Det-Pika was not true to it's sources which is why people didn't take it serious. 

The Nostalgia surrounding Mortal kombat is very much underrated. All kids to teens know most of the characters in MK and watched the mid-90s movies. 

Pokemon broke out much later in the early 00s while MK may have been taken over by Tekken in that same era but it made a great comeback in 2010s. 

I think in 2020s it's prime-time for MK to breakout on the big-screen. They have the hype, fanbase, nostalgia factor, and familiarity going for them. I think it's gonna have a major break-out. 

The sky is the limit for Mortal Kombat imho. with a credible director it can go places.

Edited by Geo1500

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-bombs-at-the-box-office-reasons-why-1202629749/

Even though Dark Phoenix is the No. 1 winner around the globe with $140M...finance experts tell us that the tale of Jean Grey will burn out with an estimated $100M-$120M loss after ancillaries, off a combined production and P&A estimated cost of $350M+ (which includes reshoots). Final global B.O. is projected at $300M-$325M, with one film finance suit telling us “If it drops like a stone, $285M. Don’t forget it was a holiday in China, and even that was pretty low ($45.7M).”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Wont even be close. Warcraft did 433 WW, Dark Phoenix is likely to be 100m lower and perhaps even more lower

DP did 107m OS. Thats similar to Shazam which did 102.3 in its OW overseas. However Shazam actually did more Os-China than Phoenix did by about 10m. 

Shazam went on to make 223m OS. I’d say thats where DP seems to be heading as well. Add about 70-80 dom and it is in real danger of missing even 300m total. 

And Shazam cost a lot less then DP did. This a huge point people tend to overlook in thiese discussions. Shazam cost around 100 Million dollars and will make a good profit for Warners. DP cost around 200 Million dollars and Disney will tak a bath on it.

Big diffeence, even if DP managed to make roughly the same as Shazam.

Minions was cute, saw it with my ex-gf back then

Rewatched it recently, I'm surprised how it sorta aged well

They were clever in focusing the story on the 3 stooges with clearly defined personalities

None of the animals in Flop Life of Pets (FLOP) are as memorable or likable, the first one was definitely sold by the novelty

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And Shazam cost a lot less then DP did. This a huge point people tend to overlook in thiese discussions. Shazam cost around 100 Million dollars and will make a good profit for Warners. DP cost around 200 Million dollars and Disney will tak a bath on it.

Big diffeence, even if DP managed to make roughly the same as Shazam.

they dont talk about these logical things ... Shazam cost around $100 m ... way less then DP ... Also shazam BO run was fine ..

2 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I think the main question is why should most studios care about "adult movies" as we've been defining them when it seems pretty obvious the adults in question don't care much either. What are most adults going to? The teenager stuff! The superhero movies.... the young adult adaptations..... the horror movies..... the adults aren't going to theater at all because they're all like "I'll wait for Netflix." . 

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous.  American Sniper made 350M a few years ago, and is one of the highest grossing R rated movies of all time.  It’s a drama targeted specifically for adults.  It’s been proven time and time again that an appealing movie for adults is going to perform well.  Just look at Rocketman right now, which is holding well and looks to finish with around 90M.  Last year we had A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book and The Mule all become hits.  2017 saw Dunkirk, The Post and Murder on the Orient Express.  I can keep going on and on from previous years.  

These movies prove that there is an audience out there for adult-targeted films if they’re appealing and are marketed well, and if anything, Hollywood should be doing more to capitalize on it.  They used to make a lot more adult films that did well too, but those days seem to be long gone in favor of an over-saturation of tentpoles from practically every studio.

For the love of God can we do something about the DP acronyms. I'm getting hella confused over the pages cause I think DP means  Detective Pikachu when it means Dark Phoenix.

Can we do DPika for Detective Pikachu and DPX for Dark Phoenix.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kimberg had all the talent and support as he is a powerful guy in hollywood yet churned out a disaster. Lol. So talented. But hollywood will continue to love him as he is such a darling yes man and always willing to go to any extent to save studio suits and himself. Keep rocking man.

27 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Det-Pika was not true to it's sources which is why people didn't take it serious. 

The Nostalgia surrounding Mortal kombat is very much underrated. All kids to teens know most of the characters in MK and watched the mid-90s movies. 

Pokemon broke out much later in the early 00s while MK may have been taken over by Tekken in that same era but it made a great comeback in 2010s. 

I think in 2020s it's prime-time for MK to breakout on the big-screen. They have the hype, fanbase, nostalgia factor, and familiarity going for them. I think it's gonna have a major break-out. 

The sky is the limit for Mortal Kombat imho. with a credible director it can go places.

The difference between MK and Pokemon is that Pokemon has never been taken out of the spotlight. It's been a worldwide sensation since it's release and is still kicking very much till this day.

Also I'm beyond tired of people trashing Pika. To me if a movie makes 400 million and it's making more then that with over 140 million domestic, I don't consider that a flop. I consider that a good performance. Did it underperform to everybody's expectations yes, but it showed to have pretty solid legs throughout it's run and there's a chance it may end up being the highest grossing video game film of all time. 

And it's sequel will only perform better because it won't have to compete with the second highest grossing film of all time and we're not gonna see a movie stand up to Endgame for probably I'd wager at least a decade or till Pokemon Red/Blue comes out. ;)

Plus Pokemon caters to all demographics, Mortal Kombat caters to mostly one demographic, males, teen/adult. 

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I didn't ignore it.... I just don't think it's difficult. If they could do it in the comics for 10yr olds in the 60's.... and they could do it in the cartoons for 10yr olds in the 90's.... and they could do it for teenagers in a live action movie for 20 years starting in the 00's.... Marvel, the studio who figured out how to take the Guardians of the Galaxy and put them on screen without years of buildup, can probably do that for the X-men too. Most audiences are capable of understanding the concept by now, which makes it easier to explain in a couple lines when they put it in a movie later.

My concern isn't with audiences being unable to cope with the concepts. My concern is with messing with established continuity. I'm saying that given there is a giant established continuity that most decidedly does not currently have mutants in it, the concept needs to be weaved in gradually, you can't just introduce X-Men off the bat. It's about better serving the narrative. Nothing in Guardians contradicted what had been established in the MCU to that point. Introducing mutants opens a huge can of worms in regards to what's already been established on MCU earth. Marvel Studios has succeeded in weaving in concepts gradually throughout their cinematic universe, I trust and expect they will have a gradual approach to mutants and the X-Men as well.

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

My concern isn't with audiences being unable to cope with the concepts. My concern is with messing with established continuity. I'm saying that given there is a giant established continuity that most decidedly does not currently have mutants in it, the concept needs to be weaved in gradually, you can't just introduce X-Men off the bat. It's about better serving the narrative. Nothing in Guardians contradicted what had been established in the MCU to that point. Introducing mutants opens a huge can of worms in regards to what's already been established on MCU earth. Marvel Studios has succeeded in weaving in concepts gradually throughout their cinematic universe, I trust and expect they will have a gradual approach to mutants and the X-Men as well.

Wizards haven't been in MCU for first 7 years and then they estabilished them just fine

• Thanks 1