sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

6 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I don’t like the term “adult films” being used to describe extremely boring, pointless indie films that these clowns send out every year for the awards votes. That demeans the word “adult” if that’s what you’re going to consider an adult movie. “Absolutely must be boring and pointless and about some left-leaning social justice issue or it’s not an adult movie!!” Pass!

Last year's Oscar best picture nominees:

Black Panther - Not an indie movie, no political alignment.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Movie with right wing sensibilities

A Star is born - No political alignment.

Green Book - Movie with right wing sensibilities

Vice - Movie specifically about American politics, perhaps left wing sensibilities but only by default due to unflattering portrayal of some specific right wing politicians.

BlackKklansman - Movie with left wing sensibilities, but exclusively about specifically Americanised politics 

Roma - Movie with left wing sensibilities but not really relating to social justice

The Favourite - Movie with right wing sensibilities when applied to contemporary politics.

Additional movies nominated for Golden Globes:

Crazy Rich Asians - Movie with right wing sensibilities

Mary Poppins Returns - Disney anyway, not indie, no political alignment.

If Beale Street Could Talk - Movie with left wing sensibilities.

Must try harder if want to come up with better hot takes, maybe just resort to trolling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Because Apocalypse followed the fantastic Days Of Futures Past. I ran out to see Apocalypse opening day and was very disappointed. Have yet to see Dark Phoenix, plan to during the week.

I agree "Apocalypse" left a really bad taste after the excellence that was DOFP and Logan.   So DP could be experiencing some blowback.  Also I agree with others that said people know about the Merger so they know it's over and will be rebooted in 5 years.   The reason a 5 year gap is needed so the MCU can bring a fresh reboot and give space from the FoXMen.   (Though they killed off Quicksilver in Ultron lol).   

23 minutes ago, TMP said:

No it wasn't, if it was marketed better it would have opened a lot higher and it would have reached more of its potential. 

Legs would've been much better without Endgame crushing all momentum though.

Just now, Sunny Max said:

what a downfall of #Pets2 .... 😕 

Can anyone Tell me the reason ?

People weren’t yearning for a sequel and they didn’t get across that this was a radically different story to the last one in the marketing. Plus...Toy Story is incoming.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TMP said:

No it wasn't, if it was marketed better it would have opened a lot higher and it would have reached more of its potential. 

Where it was positioned affected the marketing potential.  As soon as CM marketing ramped down AEG marketing ramped up.  As did the attendant buzz and ticket sales.  Shazam in the middle was a non starter.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Nobody 2017 onwards ever talked about the movie. Simple as that.

Oh .. so you are telling me that low buzz & Poor marketing killed the movie ... as @wildphantom also told the same thing audience were not demanding the sequel + top story 4 incoming...

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Nobody 2017 onwards ever talked about the movie. Simple as that.

Oh .. so you are telling me that low buzz & Poor marketing killed the movie ... as @wildphantom also told the same thing audience were not demanding the sequel + top story 4 incoming...