Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Posted Image

Despicable Me 2 - 3D

10:30PM Tuesday, July 2nd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 199 (30% full; maybe about 8 or 9 kids, and then lots of adults spanning all ages. Kind of awesome how mixed the crowd was)

Ticket Price: $16.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS: ( *I arrived a little late to the theater, missed a few trailers)

Smurfs 2 - quite reaction until NPH showed up, then people got really excited

The Boxtrolls - lots of talking, good teaser

Turbo - new trailer; when I noticed Ken Jeong is voicing an old Hispanic woman I started laughing very loudly (everyone did), good reaction

R.I.P.D. - some laughs, good reaction

THE FILM:

I've been anticipating Despicable Me 2 for a while now and hoping at the very least it would meet my high expectations of being a consistently funny movie. As it turns out Despicable Me 2 is indeed very funny, but mainly when the iconic minions are onscreen as well as the infectiously adorable Agnes. The overall plot is very low stakes and pretty disposable in my opinion, but that is made up for by the constant sprinkling of minion mayhem throughout the film.

The voice acting from Steve Carrell sounds a bit more forced in this movie than the first one (I kept picturing his face turning purple every time he'd be recording Gru's lines). Kristen Wiig, on the other hand, sounded very comfortable in her character and that translated well with her animation as well. The girls are all adorable, but (once again) it's the language-less mumblings of the minions that left everyone giggling steadily the majority of the movie. Their outfits, their situational humor, and their imaginative personalities triumph above all previous adorable animation icons, including Puss in Boots, Wall-E, Bullseye, the Penguins, and Dug.

Our audience had a great time and stayed during the credits for some final doses of minion fun. There was only one part of the movie (about 2/3 of the way in) where I worried I'd fall asleep because I was genuinely tired, but the crowd's laughter and energy kept me awake and enjoying the movie the whole way through. The movie looks good with some pop-out effects in 3D, but I wouldn't say that you need to pay the high ticket premium to see it in that format. All-in-all, it was a fun time at the movies and I'll probably go to see it again soon. :-)

Experience - 29/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 9/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 12/15

Directing - 7/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 81/100, B

• Like 3

Also, Despicable Me 2 has sold out nearly every showing in the reserved seating area before 8:00pm at AMC Phipps Plaza 14 in Atlanta GA!!!!!

$35M Wednesday is my prediction.

Same happened in my theater in Milwaukee, WI too! 

Well I could only find one theater here that had sold out showings-for both new releases.

The big theater had no sold outs-but both the new releases had showings every 30 minutes, so that is not surprising.

Despicable Me 2

Amstar 12 - Lake Mary

Lake Mary, FL

Tuesday, July 2nd 10pm

40% full (more adults than kids)

Trailers: 

Smurfs 2: kids laughed

Turbo: some laughs

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: big audience reaction from both adults and kids. This will break the september record, don't be surprised. Looks great!

Planes: not much of a reaction, was that Dane FUCKING Cook as the lead voice actor?

Enders Game: no reaction, looks expensive

Free Birds: laughs from kids and adults, I really like the premise of this. Impressive.

Film:

It was good. Its not as good as the original, and certainly can't compare to Pixar's best, but it was a lot of fun. The minions and Agnes stole the show, anytime they were on screen you couldn't help but smile. Everybody loved it, very funny, lots of laughs. The CG was astounding, so bright and colorful. It looked just fantastic. They had a lot of 3D money shots during the movie, I could just tell this would look great in 3D. We saw it in 2D because it was so cheap, but knowing what I know now we would have went with 3D. If you like 3D, go see it in that format. You wont regret it.

It's always great when you leave a movie happy and in a great mood. Don't expect some animated masterpiece, just expect a good movie and a good time. 

Wow, I remember when the AmStar 12 opened in December 2005, and I saw King Kong for my 10th birthday :D so many memories there!! I've never seen that theater packed except for Spider-Man 3 and Shrek 3 - pretty empty otherwise.

• Like 1

Well the big theater here has no sellouts due to how many showings there are.

But at 1 of the malls here:

Lone Ranger is sold out at 11:30AM, DM2 (2D) is sold out at 11:15 AM

Well the big theater here has no sellouts due to how many showings there are.

But at 1 of the malls here:

Lone Ranger is sold out at 11:30AM, DM2 (2D) is sold out at 11:15 AM

Was there any sellouts on Wednesday?

I saw The Heat at 10:10am and it was packed at NCG Cinemas. in Georgia

Trailers:About Time (lots of talking and positive reaction)

Delivery Man (bad reaction)

Wolverine (some talking but Positive reaction)

It lived up to my expectations for the movie.

After I left, I saw that Despicable Me 2 was sold out for 10:40am.

Today, I went to their website and saw the list of sell-outs

Despicable Me 2: 10:40, 1:00 (3D), 3:15, 5:30

The Lone Ranger: 12:55, 3:45

The Heat: 1:50, 4:05

Monsters University: 2:55, 4:00 (3D)

World War Z: 1:10

Man of Steel: 3:50

Now You See Me: 1:45

White House Down

July 4, 7:10 PM, 80% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers (no reactions)

The World's End

Jobs

The Family

The Wolf of Wall Street

Captain Phillips

Elysium

Loved the movie but the audience was pretty average. There were laughs but none that were big but there was one person who kept on clapping. Good time though.

REPOST

20 people for WWZ in Switzerland. I get the feeling that movies are more of a weekday thing here.

Had my first experience with a Swiss cinema tonight!

First things first. WWZ was just OK. It's hardly an adaptation of the source material, but even standing alone it's still fairly bland IMO. They sacrificed an exciting climax on the hopes for a sequel which is just annoying. And the 3D (as usual) was a total waste of time - what was the point? It added nothing. Just gave me a headache as always.

But the theater- the seats were big, comfortable and cushiony with a lot of leg room. The seats were assigned but there was only 20 people there so everyone just sat where they wanted. They did not serve popcorn but they did serve beer, so I guess it evens out. The ticket price was awful - 18 CHF plus another 3 for the glasses (but you can keep them), and another 12 or so on concessions and I hit 30 CHF for the night. The coolest aspect was probably the mid-movie smoke break. They actually pause the film for 10 minutes so people can smoke, pee, get another drink, whatever. I thought the screen broke at first but sometimes I get a bit restless so this was actually a really awesome feature IMO. A++

• Like 1

REPOST

20 people for WWZ in Switzerland. I get the feeling that movies are more of a weekday thing here.

Wait? In America they don't make a break? Here they do that all the time.

Wait? In America they don't make a break? Here they do that all the time.

They don't do that in the UK/US, and thank goodness for it. I was in a cinema in Malta once and they pulled that shit and it pissed me right off.

• Like 2