TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

Release Date Title 3-Day (FSS) Opening Low/High Range 3-Day (FSS) Pinpoint Opening Forecast Domestic Total Low/High Range Domestic Total Pinpoint Forecast Distributor
7/8/2022 Thor: Love and Thunder $140,000,000 – $167,000,000 $155,000,000 $345,000,000 – $420,000,000 $395,000,000 Disney / Marvel Studios

Damn. I know things were looking on the very low end of projections but... I would be lying If I said I don't feel this internal disappointment. 

I kinda feel BP2 will also be underwhelming. And for some reason I think 2023 will be a more...positive year. In terms of movies performing better than expected. 

Edited by Juan Caballo

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hmm. She is/was in movie? Yes. Bring more GoT actors.

Funny how GOT actors didn't pan out in SH movies except for Momoa:

Turner (Dark Phoenix) = flop

Williams (New Mutants) = flop

Harrington&Madden (Eternals) = flop

Did I forget someone? Clarke is in D+ Secret Invasion which people might watch cause of SLJ/Fury. 

Harrington must be seeing the writing on the wall cause he's developing a Jon Snow spin-off. While Marvel tentatively has Eternals 2 on their schedule, I don't see why they would go forward with it. No one is clamoring. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Did I forget someone? Clarke is in D+ Secret Invasion which people might watch cause of SLJ/Fury. 

Harrington must be seeing the writing on the wall cause he's developing a Jon Snow spin-off. While Marvel tentatively has Eternals 2 on their schedule, I don't see why they would go forward with it. No one is clamoring. 

well rumor about kit is that hes going to be in blade and then midnight sons 

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Don't complain about a lack of nuance straight after claiming people are saying the MCU is imploding. They aren't, and it isn't. But a relative lull after the biggest event movie ever combined with Disney+ saturation was inevitable and it's ok to acknowledge that.

Hatebox, being reasonable about discussing the realistic possibility of diminishing returns or not reaching the heights of Phase 3 makes you a hater, even though we have no idea how the movie will perform as it has a week left and could explode as ticket sales contain to be solid.

Edited by YourMother

55 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hatebox, being reasonable about discussing the realistic possibility of diminishing returns or not reaching the heights of Phase 3 makes you a hater, even though we have no idea how the movie will perform as it has a week left and could explode as ticket sales contain to be solid.

Sales finally showing some positive momentum. If it can hopefully close in some more on MoM today I'll be fairly happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah he was only in 2 of the biggest cbms of the decade.

1392004779908_tumblr_n0rgg5e69p1qfvao1o2

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Sounds a bit Hans Zimmerish in the first half 

I don't know that it gives me any Zimmer vibes specifically (other than the extent to which most modern blockbuster scores have a bit of that DNA). Most of this feels very much within Giacchino's style, but a stronger effort from him than JWD or Lightyear's themes. I guess this and Batman may have been prioritized a bit more with him taking on so many projects this year. 

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

If it never closes more in on mom over the next 4 days I will still be happy. That stretch of mom days was befitting a 45M Th.

The stretch that just finished, or the one upcoming? Because the latter wasn’t all that strong from how I’m looking at the data, and I think Thor makes up some ground over the next couple of days 

Just now, M37 said:

The stretch that just finished, or the one upcoming? Because the latter wasn’t all that strong from how I’m looking at the data, and I think Thor makes up some ground over the next couple of days 

Fri-Sat were pretty much steady from the previous (super high) days, which is why I also am thinking Thor should close in. Sun and Mon will be a bit strange due to July 4 affecting Thor, and Strange was also extremely strong on both days, overtaking NWH by a decent margin. Tuesday it slowed down, and from there I think Thor should be able to match it pretty closely and overtake on the final day (if reviews are solid). 

16 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

There's more screenings happening right now... just popped on my timeline. They're really showing this movie to everyone possible.

Probably not gonna look for even more reactions tho, we already have way more than usual and it's obviously majority very positive, so i don't think there will be much change at this point. 

I think the main trend is what we suspected that the Metacritic will be MUCH lower compared to Ragnarok, it’s mostly the NYC critics who have not liked this at all. The random RT-approved people have been positive and even saying it’s easily the best Thor movie. There’s a big divide that I think is somewhat explained by the hipster/film twitter circles being a lot more MCU and Taika Waititi fatigued. I could even see this being like Jojo Rabbit 2.0 in that it has huge detractors among the major critics (yellow on MC) but is 80 on RT and has very high audience ratings. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Expect to see a lot more Harrington in MCU, outside Eternals subfranchise.

4 hours ago, dobrevvselena said:

well rumor about kit is that hes going to be in blade and then midnight sons 

I've heard that rumor too so I'm half-joking about Jon Snow spin-off as his backup plan. But ngl such spinoff does seem a bit sus considering all the talk about Black Knight in those movies plus (comic book spoiler):

he's the leader of the Avengers

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Yeah he was only in 2 of the biggest cbms of the decade.

1392004779908_tumblr_n0rgg5e69p1qfvao1o2

Fair enough though I mean more headlining SH movies/being a part of SH team. 

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Harrington is linked to Blade, not Eternals 2 as weird as it sounds, so he is fine.

Edit : oops I see everyone already said it.

Edited by Fox20

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

I think the main trend is what we suspected that the Metacritic will be MUCH lower compared to Ragnarok, it’s mostly the NYC critics who have not liked this at all. The random RT-approved people have been positive and even saying it’s easily the best Thor movie. There’s a big divide that I think is somewhat explained by the hipster/film twitter circles being a lot more MCU and Taika Waititi fatigued. I could even see this being like Jojo Rabbit 2.0 in that it has huge detractors among the major critics (yellow on MC) but is 80 on RT and has very high audience ratings. 

Agreed, i also notice pretty much all the mixed reactions are from more "serious" critics. 

Is kinda normal, that's why movies always open higher on RT and then drops a bit, but yeah with Thor seems like a harder dissonance than usual.

I'm not sure about a yellow on metacritic, because most critics that counts on metacritic usually don't post reactions on social media when they're writing the full review. But something like 65 on metacritic but a way better RT average that counts a much bigger sample wouldn't surprise me at all.