eddyxx

The Fantastic Four - First Steps | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

On 7/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, WittyUsername said:

Did people actually believe the Spielberg rumor? 

Somebody always comes here and says "Did anyone really believe this rumor?"  Most rumors usually come from...somewhere.  Some are BS, but many are not...even if they don't end up fully happening.  And just because Spielberg may not take this gig, doesn't mean Marvel/Disney didn't go for him.  It was confirmed recently that they were aiming very, very high in attempting to grab a Director for FF.  I heard the same.  I'm sure Feige DESPERATELY wants to get FF right this time.  If they don't...the property is surely dead for a couple decades.  So they are aiming HIGH.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Somebody always comes here and says "Did anyone really believe this rumor?"  Most rumors usually come from...somewhere.  Some are BS, but many are not...even if they don't end up fully happening.  And just because Spielberg may not take this gig, doesn't mean Marvel/Disney didn't go for him.  It was confirmed recently that they were aiming very, very high in attempting to grab a Director for FF.  I heard the same.  I'm sure Feige DESPERATELY wants to get FF right this time.  If they don't...the property is surely dead for a couple decades.  So they are aiming HIGH.  

Marvel can “aim high” all they want. It doesn’t mean Spielberg directing was ever a possibility. 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Marvel can “aim high” all they want. It doesn’t mean Spielberg directing was ever a possibility. 

Even if it was a long-shot, there's nothing wrong with the studio going for him...and I totally believe it. Marvel needs some critic-street-cred back.  A-list legend filmmakers can do that.  And I reiterate, I'm 110% sure that Feige is putting EVERYTHING into getting FF right.  I'm sure Watts leaving was a mutually-agreed decision.  

Edited by Macleod

Well they are aiming high and he had no interest. What other A list legend filmmakers are there that they will approach ?

James Cameron - doubt he is interested..though he could join as a producer with jon landau..JC produced movies almost always bomb or disappoint at BO..so this is pretty much out

Alfonso Curon - maybe. Hasn't done a vfx heavy or action film in a while, so he could take it if marvel lets him do his thing

Denis Villenieu - busy with Dune

Peter jackson - maybe but his movies are overstuffed and vfx can range from bad to mindblowing..could be a producer and get one of his protege to direct. His name will bring more hype and buzz for sure

Christopher Nolan - zero chance and frankly his sensibilities don't match the material

Robert Zemeckis - maybe..hasn't done a film like this in ages though..

Ron Howard - maybe..did Han Solo..but he delivers best movies when there are no expectations from him. 

Sam Raimi - just did DS2..could do if Marvel sweetens the deal

I really can't think of any more A list old school/relevant/legendary filmmakers still making films that would be interested in this

Edited by marveldcfox

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Well they are aiming high and he had no interest. What other A list legend filmmakers are there that they will approach ?

James Cameron - doubt he is interested..though he could join as a producer with jon landau..JC produced movies almost always bomb or disappoint at BO..so this is pretty much out

Alfonso Curon - maybe. Hasn't done a vfx heavy or action film in a while, so he could take it if marvel lets him do his thing

Peter jackson - maybe but his movies are overstuffed and vfx can range from bad to mindblowing..could be a producer and get one of his protege to direct. His name will bring more hype and buzz for sure

Christopher Nolan - zero chance and frankly his sensibilities don't match the material

Ron Howard - maybe..did Han Solo..but he delivers best movies when there are no expectations from him. 

I really can't think of any more A list old school/relevant/legendary filmmakers still making films that would be interested in this

They should just hire Chris Columbus.

• Haha 1

A-list directors have final cut, MCU directors don't, they work as tools. Fiege doesn't have a single shot at real A-list director, especially with this material, if he won't make an exception to his approach. Spielberg rumor is just laughable.

Edited by Firepower

ron howard is probably the best shout for a big name experienced professional who will happily take a studio note. but would not exactly be an announcement that would excite anybody.

Edited by CoolioD1

I agree that there’s a lot of pressure to get this movie right, but I’m not sure Spielberg would’ve been a good choice anyway, even if he agreed to this. I’d argue that the man’s past his prime. 

One thing I know for sure is that messing up this movie would be a far bigger setback than messing up something like the Eternals. The Fantastic Four is the title that put Marvel as we know it today on the map, and they were once seen as the company’s definitive superhero team. Ideally, if this movie does well, I think the Fantastic Four should be the new flagship characters of the MCU. 

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

ron howard is probably the best shout for a big name experienced professional who will happily take a studio note. but would not exactly be an announcement that would excite anybody.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Howard is not as big as he used to be, between what happened with "Solo" and then another fiasco with "Hillbilly Elegy".

t least we got a date for the movie..............

I would bet that Feige is NOT going with a young FF.That has been tried twice..and failed both times. I  think he really wants to get it right, and that meand the traditional FF.

As for Director...with a set date the clock is ticking...so Feige might have to thing not so much iin terms of who would be the perfect choice but the best person we could get who is not tied down with other projects.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, marveldcfox said:

Cameron is going to be tied up with the Avatat films for a long time, and I doubt he wants to go the producer route, since he knows who would be really producing the film..........

On 7/17/2022 at 12:11 AM, marveldcfox said:

you really reached for that one lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1