cannastop

Blinded By The Light | August 16, 2019 | Warner Brothers | Gurinder Chadha, director

4 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I might see this. Maybe. Not really sure.

I'm not a music person to begin with so these kind of movies don't really resonate with me. I do however love musician biopics!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm not a music person to begin with so these kind of movies don't really resonate with me. I do however love musician biopics!

I've give this film credit where credit's due: if this film is anywhere near as good as Sing Street, which I view to be similar in tone and style, then I'll be more inclined to see it in theaters.

But musician biopics are very good and have tons of potential for great storytelling (Love & Mercy, Rocketman).

• Like 1

Man, he is gonna be so disappointed by Jersey. 

I have to laugh. My friend, who was from the UK, and I were driving down the East Coast to Maryland two summers ago.  We are about to cross the GW into Jersey. I get my phone out to start fiddling with the iTunes. 

“What are you doing?”

”You’ll see.”  And the SECOND we cross the state line I had Born to Run on FULL BLAST. 

“Oh. My. God. You are such an American. Oh. MyGod.”

”We are in The Boss’ Country now. We must pay our respects,” I said with the biggest shit eating grin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

This is to Yesterday what The Art of Racing in the Rain is to A Dog's Way Home: practically the same movie. Who's all seeing this?

This is nothing like Yesterday? It’s a lot more like Sing Street

On 8/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, TMP said:

This is nothing like Yesterday? It’s a lot more like Sing Street

Yeah it was a very lazy comparison. I guess these kind of movies do not connect with me at all so all I see when I watch the trailers is pretty much the same thing: main character is impacted by popular real musicians in some way.

Again, I know, lazy. My bad.

8 hours ago, TMP said:

Why would New Line/WB buy this film if they weren't gonna try to promote it at all? A24 or someone else would have done a better job; Focus Features even.

Streaming rights, in all likelihood. Kinda how it is these days for Sundance pickups that aren't awards contenders; even Amazon said they forked over so much money for Late Night because of streaming rights forever and the theatrical release was nothing but a glorified promo for it.

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Streaming rights, in all likelihood. Kinda how it is these days for Sundance pickups that aren't awards contenders; even Amazon said they forked over so much money for Late Night because of streaming rights forever and the theatrical release was nothing but a glorified promo for it.

They only paid $15m for most of the Worldwide rights so it's small change for them if it does say $30-40m WW

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They only paid $15m for most of the Worldwide rights so it's small change for them if it does say $30-40m WW

....which it almost certainly won't do. I'd guess maybe $15M worldwide

Just noticed I have not posted an opinion in this thread and theres no RTM thread yet.

There should be a warning on all theater doors saying FILM NOT SUITABLE FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DAIRY INTOLERANCE.

This is just filled with cheese, it's the cheesiest film I've seen in a while. There is nothing else in the film other than 100% full fat cheese. Every word of dialogue spoken, it's like the characters are snowballing cheese between each other.

It is really difficult to not enjoy.

That being said, it's been a month and I don't remember much of it, pretty forgettable.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Saw this a few weeks ago, it's utterly joyful. If you don't have the biggest cheesiest grin on your face throughout, then you're simply dead. 

Call me dead.

Fairly flat and uninspired, with maybe a couple of highlight scenes (I'll admit I laughed hard at the Tory parents dinner scene) and utterly forgettable for me.

Still, inoffensive, so it's not like I would be completely shocked that people liked it as a way to kill a couple of hours. Just not my cup of tea.