sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Exactly my point, Disney is excelling because they are providing to audience what they want whereas other studios aren't (atleast not in 2019 so far).

So how is Disney destroying Hollywood? By giving people what they want? Considering movies are made primarily so that people come to watch them in theatres, Isn't Disney actually saving Hollywood?

Considering other studios this year have failed to attract audiences to theatres and Disney has, it means Disney is actually saving the Hollywood & it's business. The destroyer is the savior in reality.

Yes, numbers speaking, they’re saving the industry of a collapse.

I get the complains about remakes though, but people will get tired eventually, they always do. 

As for other studios, I think we’re gonna see some good performances, OUATIH is doing good, i think Joker and IT will be really strong. Terminator could be an overseas surprise and Doctor Sleep can do well for an horror. Also we have Jumanji and Cats for Christmas and i think both have appeal to pull good numbers (especially if they worked more on Cats CGI lol).

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Critics really shit the bed with US. And the same thing seems to be happening with OUATIH. The raves and 5/5 scores look ridiculous now that people have seen the movie

Not really. It only seems that way to you because youre thinking of general, all audiences. Among the actual target audience it seems to be doing well.

Its got average of 4 stars on Letterboxd for example.

Just because it doesn't appeal to absolutely everyone, doesn't mean it's not well received.

I am sure most people would be bored stupid by 2001 a space odyssey. what kind of idiots acclaim that movie, so out of touch with the general audience, Etc.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

What I think sucks is the surcharge for nicer seats with the same 2d screen. That's weak

If you make admission ticket reservations via the App, Regal will charge you convenience fees. (A reduced convenience fee of $0.50 (plus applicable taxes) will apply to any such reservation, and, once implemented by Regal, to any other admission ticket obtained in the same transaction. Until such implementation, standard convenience fees will apply to all non-Subscription admission tickets.) Convenience fees are subject to change at any time in Regal’s sole discretion.

I went looking into that but noticed this first.

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL 

SERIOUSLY REGAL??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Like, literally what the fuck.

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you ain't making it easy. :rofl: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Porthos said:

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL 

Like, literally what the fuck.]

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you ain't making it easy. :rofl: 

Let's make a plan almost as crappy as Cinemark!

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Not really. It only seems that way to you because youre thinking of general, all audiences. Among the actual target audience it seems to be doing well.

Its got average of 4 stars on Letterboxd for example.

Just because it doesn't appeal to absolutely everyone, doesn't mean it's not well received.

agh letterboxd....a bunch of snobs!  i agree tho...the tarantino's fans seem to love it. they all congregated to letterboxd

Edited by Alli

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Critics really shit the bed with US. And the same thing seems to be happening with OUATIH. The raves and 5/5 scores look ridiculous now that people have seen the movie

Maybe the general public, who lack the necessary knowledge of film criticism or storytelling needed for reviews more complex than “I liked/hated it”, should stop reading other opinions and just go see the gd thing themselves? And maybe then we can acknowledge that art is rarely appreciated by the masses, and is under no obligation to please anyone. 

Also, those critics who have that knowledge, and yet still bitch about Margot Robbie’s screen-time, should go kindly **ck off somewhere.

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL 

Like, literally what the fuck.

lol. put the kibosh on that shit, Regal. Do you want people to use this program?

Edited by cannastop

Just now, cdsacken said:

Let's make a plan almost as crappy as Cinemark!

I can actually see a couple of upsides to Cinemark.

Tickets roll over indefinitely, can be used in batches, and you can buy extra tickets occasionally.  For someone who semi-regularly sees movies with friends I can see it being useful. 

It's not for someone who wants to see five or six or more movies a month, no.  But it's not completely terrible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

Critics really blew it  with US. And the same thing seems to be happening with OUATIH. The raves and 5/5 scores look ridiculous now that people have seen the movie

Man who could have guessed that the tastes of people who watch hundreds of movies each year differ from people who see only 4.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gods I hate all this Disney/original vs unoriginal talk so I'm going to swing it back to the Regal plan:

I saw discussion about how this is "worse" than AMC, and maybe it is.  I wouldn't know, not having an AMC within 60 minutes of me.  But I think this beats the pants off of Cinemark's plan if one wants to watch three or four films a month and you don't mind seeing it in standard.

If AMC's plan is similar/better than this one, I can see it putting a fair amount of pressure on Cinemark to alter their Movie Club.

Thinking about it, the break even point for a single person is probably two movies a month, unless one usually pans their visits to matinees/Tuesdays.

The biggest downside I can see off the top of my head is the one that @TwoMisfits mentioned in that there is nothing in there about family pricing or the ability to buy even a single extra ticket.  This is one nice feature about Cinemark's plan in that it's actually ticket based.  Their tickets roll over and, theoretically, accumulate forever. Cinemark also allows a couple of extra tickets to be bought per month.  Not a lot, but more than zero.

As I think about it some more, the biggest downside to Regal's plan, outside of the lack of a family plan and the ability to buy extra tickets, is that one can only have three reservations in advance at any one time.  I think for most people that probably isn't a problem.  But it does pose a potential problem for folks who MUST have the best seats in the house when a blockbuster goes on pre-sale and they already have bookings "in the queue".

The more I think about it, the more I think this plan is tailored to a single person or at most a childless couple (subscriptions are absolutely tied to a person and non-transferrable [including tickets bought]). 

They've clearly decided to go for one segment of the market here and aren't trying to expand beyond it.  Be interesting to see how it evolves over time.

Why are people complaining about this subscription service? If I understand correctly, it's $20 or so, for genuinely unlimited films, yes?

I am really glad they have brought this over to the USA. we have had these wonderful subscriptions in england for years, they are awesome for film fans who go several times a month. In fact here the subscription fee is less than two tickets a month.

And yes the booking limit is annoying when you book tickets far in advance lol. One way round is to buy a paid ticket for the seat then on the night, cancel the ticket get a refund and use your memebrship card to get the now-vacant seat. ;)

Just now, cannastop said:

Man who could have guessed that the tastes of people who watch hundreds of movies each year differ from people who see only 4.

Great point actually. I hadn’t thought about this explicitly before but it goes a long way toward explaining the critic vs audience divides on some movies.

• Like 4

Just now, Porthos said:

I can actually see a couple of upsides to Cinemark.

Tickets roll over indefinitely, can be used in batches, and you can buy extra tickets occasionally.  For someone who semi-regularly sees movies with friends I can see it being useful. 

It's not for someone who wants to see five or six or more movies a month, no.  But it's not completely terrible.

Absolutely that's why it's successful. Also recliners are excluded from add on fees so that's good Regal.

No daily limit is going to be abused badly though I'm not sure it matters. 

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Why are people complaining about this subscription service? If I understand correctly, it's $20 or so, for genuinely unlimited films, yes?

I am really glad they have brought this over to the USA. we have had these wonderful subscriptions in england for years, they are awesome for film fans who go several times a month. In fact here the subscription fee is less than two tickets a month.

And yes the booking limit is annoying when you book tickets far in advance lol. One way round is to buy a paid ticket for the seat then on the night, cancel the ticket get a refund and use your memebrship card to get the now-vacant seat. ;)

The reservation fee for seats is absolute horsecrap though

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

What I think sucks is the surcharge for nicer seats with the same 2d screen. That's weak

I was looking for that and couldn't find it in their FAQ.

Given how much they're trying to restrict things here, it wouldn't surprise me.  But could you show me where that's mentioned in their plan?

I think you might be misreading the bit about "premium seating" as I am fairly certain that is referring to PLF showings.  

Though given Regal's attitude in the rest of this program I wouldn't put it past them.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I was looking for that and couldn't find it in their FAQ.

Given how much they're trying to restrict things here, it wouldn't surprise me.  But could you show me where that's mentioned in their plan?

I think you might be misreading the bit about "premium seating" as I am fairly certain that is referring to PLF showings.  

Though given Regal's attitude in the rest of this program I wouldn't put it past them.

Soon as my daughter is older (let's say 6 she's almost 5) I'm getting AMC alist for her and I. Theater close has all signature recliners. Movie every weekend again. 

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I wasn't complaining about it (until I got to the convenience fee for using the app while on the plan - get the fuck out of here with that noise) but discussing the plusses and minuses.

As I said, I think it certainly has its upsides for many people.  But it's not as good for families in general.

===

Still laughing though at the lack of a discount on a yearly plan, mind. :lol:

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

The reservation fee for seats is absolute horsecrap though

Oh, I hate companies that try and nickel and dime you through booking fees. Pathetic. thought businesses had moved on from that in 2019.

9 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Absolutely that's why it's successful. Also recliners are excluded from add on fees so that's good Regal.

No daily limit is going to be abused badly though I'm not sure it matters. 

That is not abuse / exploiting.  That is the point of the model. They want you to make the most of it, to see as many films as possible.

It's not based on, "Please pay $20/month and hopefully you don't use it as much as you thought it would".

Rather, it's "Please, come to our cinema, spend as much time here as is humanly possible"

Where they can sell you the food and drink, which is where the money is made anyway.

It also changes a consumer's attitude of what the cinema means. You spend more time there, it feels more homely, it becomes part of your identity and lifestyle. In the long run they profit greatly.

This is a business model that has been tried and tested, and it works. I think it's great - and clearly needed as apparently the industry is collapsing!

Edited by Avatree

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Oh, I hate companies that try and nickel and dime you through booking fees. Pathetic. thought businesses had moved on from that in 2019.

That is not abuse / exploiting.  That is the point of the model. They want you to make the most of it, to see as many films as possible.

It's not based on, "Please pay $20/month and hopefully you don't use it as much as you thought it would".

Rather, it's "Please, come to our cinema, spend as much time here as is humanly possible"

Where they can sell you the food and drink, which is where the money is made anyway.

It also changes a consumer's attitude of what the cinema means. You spend more time there, it feels more homely, it becomes part of your identity and lifestyle. In the long run they profit greatly.

This is a business model that has been tried and tested, and it works. I think it's great - and clearly needed as apparently the industry is collapsing!

True long as it doesn't impact sellouts plus if you are there all day youll get hungry and spend money