sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

Finally watched US on vacation last week and wife and I both thought the ending ruined whatever good the film tried to do. Not just the over explaining but as a therapist, I found the some of it (in particular the suspension of belief angle) to be way to much a farce. 

That being said, we thought the acting was phenomenal and Lupita as always brings a great load of work. 

So Baumer isnt wrong that a lot of us dislike it, but his vitrol is a bit stronger than anyone else I have run into. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Come on guys relax LOL. No i don't really mean that nobody really liked it. I was just kind of trying to be funny a little bit. Yes I'm aware that my opinion does not rule all. Some of you guys take me way too seriously even after knowing me for 15 years.

something about sarcasm and the internet miscommunication.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Finally watched US on vacation last week and wife and I both thought the ending ruined whatever good the film tried to do. Not just the over explaining but as a therapist, I found the some of it (in particular the suspension of belief angle) to be way to much a farce. 

That being said, we thought the acting was phenomenal and Lupita as always brings a great load of work. 

So Baumer isnt wrong that a lot of us dislike it, but his vitrol is a bit stronger than anyone else I have run into. 

I think you missed my last post and that's totally cool. I don't think that everybody really secretly hates the movie. I really was just kidding around. I really hated the movie. I hated everything about it but I obviously understand if someone likes the film. We all have different things to entertain us.

• Like 1

Us' main problem for me is that it makes an attempt to explain/rationalize things that are best left irrational and nightmarish. In doing so it inadvertently makes all the endless "but how..." questions legitimate. That knocks it down a notch (and yeah I'm also... mixed on the ending) but it doesn't and shouldn't overshadow the amazing set-up, direction, Lupita's performance, imagery, music etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

something about sarcasm and the internet miscommunication.

Yes you are definitely right. text messaging or just riding on a forum definitely gets lost in translation sometimes. I apologize.

Lupita is dynamite in Us and makes it worth watching alone. Also the cinematography and sound is awesome.

Also the plot is very funny and entertaining. Maybe not in the way Peele intended, but i was certainly never bored.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think you missed my last post and that's totally cool. I don't think that everybody really secretly hates the movie. I really was just kidding around. I really hated the movie. I hated everything about it but I obviously understand if someone likes the film. We all have different things to entertain us.

Lol apparently I did. I know you hated it, too strong a word for me, but the sheer number of people I know that dislike it is way higher than normal. I should have liked it as its a film in my zone but yeah. Not good. Given the very few 2019 films I have seen its the last on my list (for now.) 

Also no need to apologize. The US discussion beats the nauseating pro / anti Disney crap we have been subjected to. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

All this talk makes me wonder how I would really feel about Titanic now. It's been 16 years at least since I have seen it. I was 18 last time I saw it. Hmm

Titanic is amazing, I had only ever seen it on TV and video, and thought it was soppy dreary shite, then I watched it in a cinema last year and wow it is one of the most beautiful, amazing films ever created.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Insulin without insurance is $300 a vial. 

Yes tickets are insane. Often several hundred for plane tickets that are 1-2 stops, all basic economy with loads of fees. The cost is so bad I literally would never consider retiring in America. 

Don't blame you. We get gouged on a lot of things in North America, Canada especially. Flights (especially domestic!), internet/cable, cell plans etc. Grand larceny. Europe is so much better in every way.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I honestly don't think anyone really liked US.  Those who say they did are lying to themselves. They'll watch it again in two years and be horrified at what they are seeing.  It's truly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

Well that's just colossally arrogant.

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Don't blame you. We get gouged on a lot of things in North America, Canada especially. Flights (especially domestic!), internet/cable, cell plans etc. Grand larceny. Europe is so much better in every way.

Unfortunately my wife's profession isn't established well there (physician assistant pay is 70% less). We moved to Tacoma since it pays as much as Seattle. So save enough and retire and move to Europe. Germany or Italy I think. 

Edited by cdsacken

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well that's just colossally arrogant.

It's no different than what people say about Disney films. Plus I believe some of it was in jest.

Edited by cdsacken