sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, here's the theater list, as of right now, for the three levels of Regal tiers.

Yup. Useless to me. Closes ones are 45 minutes away. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, here's the theater list, as of right now, for the three levels of Regal tiers.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/unlimited/theatre-list

Not surprisingly every location near me in the Sacramento region is in the so-called "Plus" tier.   No real surprises on there about where is the "expensive tiers" and where isn't.

Oh cool they have my two main ones. Have to do Regal Unlimited Plus ("   ")

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Been on an airplane recently?

What's crazy about that btw is how much airplanes are in Europe. I flew all the time in the UK. I will rarely ever fly in the US till move back to Europe when I retire. It's 2-3x more expensive in the USA

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

What's crazy about that btw is how much airplanes are in Europe. I flew all the time in the UK. I will rarely ever fly in the US till move back to Europe when I retire. It's 2-3x more expensive in the USA

Well the US is much bigger. They aren't doing these little hops left and right like the UK. 

Not to mention regulation hurdles and being subsidized by the nation like some airlines. 

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Partly because you go shorter distances, partly because there are trains too.

1 minute ago, ACSlater said:

Well the US is much bigger. They aren't doing these little hops left and right like the UK. 

Not to mention regulation hurdles and being subsidized by the nation like some airlines. 

Europe is more regulated then the United States. On a per distance basis its way more expensive. Short flights are $150. Seattle to Atlanta is $500. It's insane.

43 minutes ago, Porthos said:

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/unlimited/theatre-list

Not surprisingly every location near me in the Sacramento region is in the so-called "Plus" tier.   No real surprises on there about where is the "expensive tiers" and where isn't.

Funny enough, I have 2 local Regals...and they are different tiers...I think they tiered not just on location, but on attendance b/c the one local gets no one and the other gets packed...even though prices are the same...

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

You may not have liked Detective pikachu but it was pretty well received. Its underperformance is not down to it being a "bad/meh film", whatever that means.

You say if movies are good, people show up. Well then why does Midsommar only make a third of Hereditary gross?

Why does Booksmart go nowhere?

Why does Alita Battle Angel gross less than the terrible Godzilla 2?

These are films which are loved by their audience. So much more complex than you make it out to be

What was said was not wrong, just not complete. I guess as its something all here already (should) know:

a well made movie will appeal to audience actually interested into the story it tells

If made in a g#great way it may pull in additional audience (e.g. per accompanying partners or friends...) but the story has to appeal to the broad GA to get to the extremer results

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

"pretentious" means "well made". use a fucking dictionary. Keep up.

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

love it when people use "pretentious" and have no idea what the word actually means

From French prétentieux, from prétention, from Latin praetēnsus (false or hypocritical profession), past participle of praetendō.

Adjective

pretentious (comparative more pretentious, superlative most pretentious)

1. Intended to impress others; ostentatious.
    Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable.
  2. Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
    Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Partly because you go shorter distances, partly because there are trains too.

Seattle to Sacramento $400 for 3. Same distance to several other countries for $150-175 in UK.

• Like 1

Easy Jet, Ryan Air, all of them are better than Spirit and cheaper. I flew Ryan air at least 20 times in the past 2 years. Had an issue once, a delay than was minimal in comparison to what I deal with in the US. Oh well at least one can by on car and see a lot that way 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

you can fly rather cheap also from or to UK or between other European countries, it all depends on the time of day and weekday and...

And if you think the US has diverse and lots of regulation / hurdles.... I guess you missed a lot of the European details 😉

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Funny enough, I have 2 local Regals...and they are different tiers...I think they tiered not just on location, but on attendance b/c the one local gets no one and the other gets packed...even though prices are the same...

I was thinking they might do that, but there are a couple of Regals locally that aren't well attended at all (to put it mildly) and they're in the plus tier as well.

Being in Cali must override that consideration as there are only five basic tier ones in all of California (Bakersfield, West Covina, Indio, Chula Vista, and San Bernadino).

• Like 1

One thing I did see in Regal's favor...

They allow 16+ to purchase their plan (not 18+), AND they do seem to say parents can purchase a plan for their kid (at least it reads that way).  Although, since you have to buy through the app on a phone, I'm guessing your kid also needs a phone or you might screw everything up...but it may make it feasible to get any teen a plan, although there's no discount as you get more plans...

For me, it's $21 + tax to go to my one local...or the highest price to get both...

It's tempting, but this month was so sad for releases, I'm not sure I'd want to have a plan for a year, and then have a month like this one...that, and I'm not sure I could make it "worth it" during my kids' learning year b/c we're so busy...my spouse and I tend to get to 3-4 date night movies/year sans kids...and 8-12 with them (and with them, the sub becomes pretty worthless b/c I'd probably go Tuesday or 1st matinee since I have to buy 6 tickets)...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Europe is more regulated then the United States. On a per distance basis its way more expensive. Short flights are $150. Seattle to Atlanta is $500. It's insane.

I am not talking just about FAA. The regulations in the overall aerospace world is crazy causing the planes themselves to be expensive, airport taxes, etc which they make the money from US airlines.

It's some what similar scenario to the drug and med device industry. Shit is cheaper in OUS due to cost of affordability. 

And by distance, I meant fuel but also what the market will bear. A $150 flight is nothing in the USA whereas anything above $500 per person has folks thinking. 

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

you can fly rather cheap also from or to UK or between other European countries, it all depends on the time of day and weekday and...

And if you think the US has diverse and lots of regulation / hurdles.... I guess you missed a lot of the European details 😉

EU regs are lax actually in many areas including aerospace, drugs, etc. 

Just because they demand the airlines give you money for delayed money is meaningless. 

For example, Airbus gets tons of subsidy that Boeing would never get. 

1 minute ago, ACSlater said:

For example, Airbus gets tons of subsidy that Boeing would never get. 

that has nothing to do with per country costs of flying

security... not correct