Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Reviews for 'The Good Dinosaur' haven't been ecstatic... At least in the UK it's got nothing in its way til Star Wars 7 and Snoopy opens around Christmas Day.

Btw, watching the Hunger Games tomorrow! Can't say I'm as excited as before (mainly cuz of Part 1)... oh well...

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' tracking to be biggest film ever at UK cinemas

Experts predict Disney-Lucasfilm epic to reach $166m (£110m), surpassingSkyfall’s record.

Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens is set to break all UK box office records following its release on Dec 17, according to forecasts based on pre-sales.

Speaking to ScreenDaily, one major exhibitor said that they had seen “unprecedented” demand so far and that they were “very confident that it will smash records”.

The executive confirmed that the film was tracking to “certainly be the biggest film of all time in the UK”, and that it could go on to make $163m - $166m (£108m - £110m), surpassing the current record set by Skyfall at $155.5m (£102.9m) in 2012.

Skyfall, it should be noted, did not have the benefit of the 3D uplift in ticket prices.

Pre-sales for The Force Awakens have been particularly prolific in large format, premium cinemas. A representative for IMAX told ScreenDaily that its screens are accounting for one-fifth of all pre-sales in the UK.

One exhibitor is predicting The Force Awakens’ opening four days (Thurs-Sun) at $45.3m (£30m), meaning its seven-day record would likely surpass Spectre’s seven-day total of $63.9m (£41.3m).

As previously reported when sales began in October, Vue Entertainment said that it had sold 10,000 tickets within the first 90 minutes of sales, also a record.

One source stated that the film’s scheduled midnight screenings will smash all previous records, drawing around $3m (£2m).

Most experts predict that the film’s tail will only be lengthened and strengthened by the Christmas holidays.

Bond film Spectre has been another boon for exhibitors this year, setting a pre-sales record for at least one major UK exhibitor, which did not wish to be disclosed.

The film debuted in late October to a record-breaking $63.9m (£41.3m) first week, including $33m (£21.32m) in its opening four days of previews, and experts are predicting it will likely go on to take $144m (£95m).

While The Force Awakens has not yet surpassed Spectre’s advanced sales for that company, it will do so next week and will go on to amass its biggest pre-sales “by a country mile”.

I have no doubt now SW is gonna be the biggest film ever. It seems all too easy.

• Like 3

It'll surpass Spectre's total pre-sales two weeks before it even comes out, with pre-sales only picking up much greater speed from there. Madness.

Wouldn't surprise me if opening day was £9/10m. I'm thinking £35m ($52.6m) for the four-day weekend is possible 

Edited by Dan9

OD will be massive. Its first Friday may be bigger though, and Saturday even bigger than that. I'd say £7m Thursday. £8m Friday, £10m Saturday, £9m Sunday. So yeah, around £35m 4 day, obliterating every record standing. 7 day will probably be around £50m ($75m). It sounds absolutely loony, but it's doable. 

I won't even be here to witness the madness. I'm in NY from the 15th for a week. :P

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2