Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I was in Crawley until the end of July, then I had to move as I couldn't make the numbers work. So now I'm living at my dad's just south of Cambridge and doing a cracking new job lol. 

Oh nice, south of Cambridge where's that?

Warner Bros’ Harry Potter spin-off records the biggest opening of the year to date with non-final $18.8m (£15.25m).

WARNER BROS

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them was always going to debut top of the UK box office, it was only a question of how big.

The answer? A resounding non-final $18.8m (£15.25m) from its 661 sites. That marks the biggest opening of the year to date, topping stablemate Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice’s $18.05m (£14.62m) bow from 612 sites.

While Fantastic Beasts opened behind every single Harry Potter outing (except Goblet Of Fire), most benefitted from previews. When considering Fri-Sun tallies, it’s a very different story with Fantastic Beasts posting the third-best opening of the franchise to date, ahead of Goblet Of Fire’s $18.44m (£14.93m) from 535 sites.

Prisoner Of Azkaban was the lowest-grossing outing of the Harry Potter series with $57m (£46.1m) and, given this start, there’s every reason to believe Fantastic Beasts could well top that and potentially become the first £50m hit of the year. It needs to hold well first though.

Holy shitttttt. It went up massively from estimates. An incredible opening, in the top 10 of all time Fri-Sun. I don't see how it misses £40m. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 7

Rest of the results: 

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Fantastic Beasts(WB) $18.8m (£15.25m) $18.8m (£15.25m)
2 Arrival (eOne) $1.86m (£1.49m) $7.19m (£5.76m)
3 Trolls (Fox) $1.53m (£1.24m) $25.7m (£20.8m)
4 Christmas With André(CinemaLive) $1.45m (£1.16m) $1.45m (£1.16m)
5 Doctor Strange(Disney) $1.15m (£930,624) $26.5m (£21.45m)

Also for Warner Bros, The Accountant fell 55% with a $580,000 (£470,000) third weekend for $5.74m (£4.65m) to date, while Storks has flown to $7.96m (£6.45m) after six weeks in play.

EONE

Arrival fell a respectable 42% (excluding previews) as it dropped to second with a non-final $1.86m (£1.49m).

eOne’s critically acclaimed sci-fi is now up to $7.19m (£5.76m) after 11 days in play and has surpassed Sicario’s $6.14m (£4.98m) result. Another sturdy hold will see it well-placed to become Denis Villeneuve’s best-ever UK result, currently Prisoners’ $9m (£7.3m).

Also for eOne, The Girl On The Train has now journeyed to $29.1m (£23.38m) following a $236,000 (£189,433) seventh weekend.

I, Daniel Blake and The Light Between Oceans have grossed $3.53m (£2.84m) and $2.07m (£1.66m), respectively.

FOX

Trolls has crossed the £20m mark at the UK box office in its fifth week.

Fox’s latest Dreamworks Animation offering fell only 32% with a non-final $1.53m (£1.24m) for $25.7m (£20.8m) to date. It’s now overtaken Kung Fu Panda and will soon surpass Monsters Vs Aliens’ $26.4m (£21.37m) result.

Also for Fox, Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil stand at $15.08m (£12.23m) and $1.76m (£1.43m), respectively.

CINEMALIVE

André Rieu has struck gold again at the UK box office for CinemaLive.

Following on from the record-breaking success in July of his Maastricht Concert 2016, André Rieu: Christmas With André grossed $1.45m (£1.16m) on Saturday (November 19), setting a new one-day record for a concert event.

DISNEY

Doctor Strange fell 61% in the face of Fantastic Beasts’ huge opening as it posted a $1.15m (£930,624) fourth weekend.

Disney’s latest Marvel offering is now up to $26.5m (£21.45m) in the UK and is now the sixth biggest outing for the studio. It’s unlikely to catch Guardians Of The Galaxy’s $35.2m (£28.5m), but it’s a good result all the same.

SONY

Falling more than 50% in its third weekend, Sony’s A Street Cat Named Bob added $457,000 (£370,000) for a decent $4.35m (£3.52m) to date.

UNIVERSAL

In its third weekend, Universal’s Nocturnal Animals fell 60% on its way to $303,000 (£245,762) for $3.02m (£2.45m). It needs to hold well to surpass A Single Man’s $4m (£3.24m) result.

Also for Universal, Bridget Jones’s Baby now stands at an imperious $58.9m (£47.73m).

DOGWOOF

From its 14 sites through Dogwoof, Iggy Pop and The Stooges’ documentary Gimme Danger posted a $41,000 (£33,048) UK debut, including previews.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for eOne’s Bad Santa 2 (opens November 23), Paramount’s Allied and Pathe’s LFF opener A United Kingdom.

Soda Pictures’ Paterson and Munro Films’ Mum’s Listboth receive wide releases, while Universal’s Almost Christmas and Arrow Films’ Magnus are among the films receiving limited releases.

Good drop for Arrival.

Trolls is still doing very well, it only has 2 weeks now until the arrival of Moana, but it should end up getting close to £25m. Similar for Doctor Strange, although I think it'll fall short by a million or two. Still, a respectable total.

• Like 3

FB has a pretty free run now until Moana next weekend. 

Looking at previous big November openers first week and 2nd weekend...

DH1 (£18.3m opening), dropped 55% in its second weekend, made £6.5m Mon-Thu.

Breaking Dawn Part 2 (£15.9m opening) dropped 66%, made £5.9m Mon-Thu.

Goblet of Fire (£14.9m opening) dropped 31%, made £7.5m Mon-Thu.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 (£13.9m opening) dropped 68%, made £4.8m Mon-Thu.

New Moon (£11.7m opening) dropped 63%, made £4.3m Mon-Thu.

Mockingjay Part 1 (£12.7m 4-day, £10.3m Fri-Sun) dropped 53% (Using Fri-Sun comparison), made £3.9m Mon-Thu.

Catching Fire (£12.2m 4-day, £10.1m Fri-Sun) dropped 46% (Using Fri-Sun comparison), made £3.9m Mon-Thu.

Mockingjay Part 2 (£11.3m 4-day, £9.3m Fri-Sun) dropped 52% (Using Fri-Sun comparison), made £3.5m Mon-Thu.

As FB fits into the top half, I imagine it'll do around £5.5m Mon-Thu. For its second weekend, a drop around 55% (£6.8m) seems sensible, more in line with DH1 and The Hunger Games. There's no way it falls as hard as Twilight, as those films are extremely front-loaded, which FB has not shown signs of. There's also little chance it drops as soft as GoF. The BO just isn't like it used to be back then, plus, the percentage of children that make up the audience will be much smaller for FB, hence, more business spread out over the week.

By Sunday, I'm expecting it to be around £27.5m ($34m).

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

I'm in Duxford, never lived anywhere so small before lol. 

Oh yeah, I think I've had this conversation with you before :lol: Duxford is nice although when I lived in Fowlmere I hated all the noise from the planes which always fly over when you're having a nice peaceful afternoon.

My village is about a third of the size of Duxford lol :) I love living in a village though, I would hate to live somewhere bigger.

I like the fact that it's a tight knight community. I love that if I go to the shop, or to the café, or just go out for a walk, I know every single person that I meet. I like the peace and quiet, and it's beautiful scenery too.

• Like 1

I wonder how much the small release of Your Name managed over the weekend. Had to go to damn Newham to see it. 

Japanese box office smash Your Name recorded a $21,000 (£16,702) UK bow from its 17 Showcase sites through National Amusements.

Over the weekend, due to Fantastic Beasts, it only received matinee and late evening screenings, with Bristol its best location with more than $3,700 (£3,000).

The critically acclaimed animation will be screened in 100 sites on Thursday (November 24), with further screenings from Friday (November 25).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'll take that for Your Name, it should do around 10 times that number minimum on Thursday, lots of busy looking screenings around the country. 

True actually. I just had a quick at my local cinemas, they have a show on Thursday night 8:15pm which are virtually sell-outs.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

True actually. I just had a quick at my local cinemas, they have a show on Thursday night 8:15pm which are virtually sell-outs.

I'm liking that a fair few places are going to be playing it all of next week as well, so I'll probably find another place to go see it again as Cambridge only appears to be getting on board for Thursday night at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Heretic said:

Holy shitttttt. It went up massively from estimates. An incredible opening, in the top 10 of all time Fri-Sun. I don't see how it misses £40m. 

It keeps getting bigger and bigger!

:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm liking that a fair few places are going to be playing it all of next week as well, so I'll probably find another place to go see it again as Cambridge only appears to be getting on board for Thursday night at the moment. 

Who is distributing Your Name? It's great that we are getting an anime film so soon. They usually take over a year to come in dubbed form. 

I'm planning on seeing it though not on Thursday,

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Who is distributing Your Name? It's great that we are getting an anime film so soon. They usually take over a year to come in dubbed form. 

I'm planning on seeing it though not on Thursday,

It's a group called "All the Anime". What's impressing me is that the release actually seems bigger than the Dragonball Z film that released last year. More cinemas, more screenings and more dates than one of the "big" franchises. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's a group called "All the Anime". What's impressing me is that the release actually seems bigger than the Dragonball Z film that released last year. More cinemas, more screenings and more dates than one of the "big" franchises. 

I assume it being the biggest hit in Japan for a while is a good selling point for people hence the increase in screenings. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a dubbed version within 1-2 years like they've done with the Ghibli films.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I assume it being the biggest hit in Japan for a while is a good selling point for people hence the increase in screenings. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a dubbed version within 1-2 years like they've done with the Ghibli films.

I saw the dubbed version on Saturday....