Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Great opening for Logan, it should make it to the £25m mark at least.

Another amazing week for Lion, probably the most impressive run of the year thus far.

As for this week, Kong arrives on Thursday, expecting around £5m 4-day.

Is it early to ask you for a Batb OW/Total prediction?

The UK box office is on fire at the moment. I think the quality of the films is helping massively - almost every major release since the start of the year is getting great reviews. It's only the likes of Resident Evil and XXX that are getting panned and are rightly doing terribly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Is it early to ask you for a Batb OW/Total prediction?

£10m+ OW for sure, I think maybe £11-12m. Jungle Book did £9.9m, and there's no reason whatsoever to suggest BaTB won't at least match it. Pre-sales already look strong. As for total, can't really say, but it does have the benefit of two weeks of Easter holidays in April, so there's a good chance that £50m will happen. It may struggle to top JB's dollar gross though ($66.5m) due to a weaker pound.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Top playdates 5-Mar
all Logan

1-Vue Westfield London
2-Imax Southbank
3-CW Sheffield
4-CW Glasgow Renf
5-Vue Stratford
6-CW Dublin
7-Odeon Liverpool One
8-Odeon Manchester
9-CW Leicester Square
10-CW Crawley
11-Odeon Metrocentre
12-CW Milton Keynes

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fifty Shades Rth said:

Top playdates 5-Mar
all Logan

1-Vue Westfield London
2-Imax Southbank
3-CW Sheffield
4-CW Glasgow Renf
5-Vue Stratford
6-CW Dublin
7-Odeon Liverpool One
8-Odeon Manchester
9-CW Leicester Square
10-CW Crawley
11-Odeon Metrocentre
12-CW Milton Keynes

Vue Westfield reclaiming the top spot from Cineworld Sheffield, BFI IMAX did very well to get second, it's going to be a busy month for IMAX with Kong, Beauty and I think Ghost in the Shell. 

It's interesting that Vue Westfield usually beat the central London cinemas, I guess combined CW LS and OLS do more business money wise but they're limited by showtimes for a single film whereas VWL can have up to 4-5 screens solely for a blockbuster.

Edited by Jonwo

Pre-sales for Kong are almost non-existent, and it opens today. I don't know if walk ups will be strong, but as it stands I wouldn't be surprised if Logan beat it over Fri-Sun. 

I guess it's not entirely surprising as one of the biggest films of the year is coming out next weekend, and the market has been fully saturated for weeks now. Kong seems to have drawn the short straw. 

Edited by Heretic

9 hours ago, Heretic said:

Pre-sales for Kong are almost non-existent, and it opens today. I don't know if walk ups will be strong, but as it stands I wouldn't be surprised if Logan beat it over Fri-Sun. 

I guess it's not entirely surprising as one of the biggest films of the year is coming out next weekend, and the market has been fully saturated for weeks now. Kong seems to have drawn the short straw. 

Its the same here in Denmark. 

Is Kong vs Godzilla in danger?

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

$7.6m for Kong, which is over £6m. That's actually a great start, and more than expected especially considering the weak pre-sales. It must've done really well Sat+Sun, playing like a family film.

Logan being a 15 meant there is room for a 12A tent pole. Kong has to make the most of this week before BATB dominates the market 

Fantastic for Logan. It's down only 42% Fri-Sun, and its weekday business (£4m) was very strong. Should end up close to £25m, which would be the 2nd biggest of the franchise after Days of Future Past.  X Men 2 is the only other film to top £20m, so this is a massive achievement for Logan. 
  • Like 2

good numbers for both movies.

Has anyone seen Kong in 4DX? I am tempted to go tonight as I haven't tried 4DX before and got nothing better to do... is the experience worth a try?

I have already seen the movie btw.

Edited by Manchester by the Tree