Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

when I originally heard about the earlier start time person had gotten TDK mixed up with TDKR :), see Queen st Imax now has 330am and 7am as well on the 19th.for the NA market Guam (Same time zone as Sydney) will have midnights same time, the Uk not being able to start earlier is rediculious given it will already be out elsewhere

I'm sorry guys, I know that it's not a bad number for TASM compared to some other markets, but the expectations must have been very low if that's considered good. That's a poor number for TASM.

:slaphead:
  • Like 1

Good numbers for TASM. Not really sure why it performed better in the UK than most other non-Asian markets, but I guess we have an affinity for the character. It's also worth noting that the weather has been fucking dreadful over the last 2 weeks, it's been the wettest summer ever.

As an idea to what impact the olympics might have on movie-going in the UK here are the top 20 programs on Australia TV in 2000. This is for the 5 mainland state capitals only and in 2000 probably covered about 12 million people. It's for in-home viewing only and doesn't cover pubs, clubs. live sites or those attending events. Crowds at Sydney Olympic Park peaked on day 8 when just over 400,000 attended events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_television_ratings_for_2000#Most_matched_broadcasts_-_2000

Edited by DeeCee

I don't think the Olympics will impact films too much, you've got big releases like The Lorax and Ted which I imagine will bring in audiences not wanting to watch the Olympics and who have already seen TDKR, the week after the Olympics has The Bourne Legacy, Brave and The Expendables 2, I reckon Bourne will be number 1 that week as it has a Monday release whereas Brave has a Friday release and E2 a Thursday release.There is also Keith Lemon the Movie which I'm guessing is trying to cash in on The Inbetweeners success but I'm not sure if Keith Lemon can sustain a full film.

Good numbers for TASM. Not really sure why it performed better in the UK than most other non-Asian markets, but I guess we have an affinity for the character. It's also worth noting that the weather has been fucking dreadful over the last 2 weeks, it's been the wettest summer ever.

Yes, the weather helped, but how on Earth is it a good number? Sony was expecting £8-9m weekend. It's a huge step-back from SM3. Just because some people expected it to flop it doesn't make average numbers look good.

Yeah, I think the fact there are big films that people will want to see will mean it won't be as dramatic as it was in Sydney in 2000. Rth has just pointed out that there weren't any big films released during the olympics back in 2000.

The opening ceromony is probably the only thing that will significantly effect the BIO. I imagine it will be one of the highest UK tv ratings ever. 17m watched the wimbledon final, I imagine over 25m will watch the opening ceromony. Easily.