Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Under 15s in Australia can watch the equivalent to a 15 film if they're accompanied by a parent or guardian. It's interesting that Australia, which is usually considered a very OTT nanny state, is less restrictive in this one instance.

5 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Under 15s in Australia can watch the equivalent to a 15 film if they're accompanied by a parent or guardian. It's interesting that Australia, which is usually considered a very OTT nanny state, is less restrictive in this one instance.

Did the UK change how it was because I swear in the UK you could watch up to a 15 film if you're with a adult. 

36 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Did the UK change how it was because I swear in the UK you could watch up to a 15 film if you're with a adult. 

According to the BBFC: "No one younger than 15 may see a 15 film in a cinema. No one younger than 15 may rent or buy a 15 rated video work." https://www.bbfc.co.uk/rating/15

They also have a full article explaining their decision to rate The Batman as 15, and not 12A (contains spoilers):

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/about-us/articles/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-batman

"In our last guidelines consultation in 2019, people told us they feel a heightened sense of anxiety when it comes to depictions of 'real world' scenarios, in which audiences – especially young people – are likely to be concerned that events depicted on screen could happen to them. For example, depictions of terrorism, kidnappings, murder and discrimination."

"In 2008, we rated Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight 12A for theatrical release. Following this decision, we received 364 complaints - by far the largest number of complaints we have ever received about a single film. For context, out of all the films released in 2020 we received 93 complaints, and in 2019 we received 149."

Interesting stuff tbh.

• Like 1

Having seen the film, it's a borderline 15. If the 12 rating still existed then it probably would have been rated that but a 12A rating means kids who are far too young to see it could be brought to it by their parents and the BBFC probably didn't want to risk it.

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Having seen the film, it's a borderline 15. If the 12 rating still existed then it probably would have been rated that but a 12A rating means kids who are far too young to see it could be brought to it by their parents and the BBFC probably didn't want to risk it.

Bring back the strict 12!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wotad said:

No it’s always been that way. The only rating someone younger can go to accompanied is a 12A. 

Even the previous 12 rating, you couldn’t take a younger person accompanied. 

I've said for a while they should bring back the strict 12 rating for some films. I suppose it would lead to confusion though but it is definitely warranted sometimes.

Batman had a slight uptick on Saturday. If it was £4.8m on Friday then probably just over £5m on Saturday.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lab276 said:

According to the BBFC: "No one younger than 15 may see a 15 film in a cinema. No one younger than 15 may rent or buy a 15 rated video work." https://www.bbfc.co.uk/rating/15

They also have a full article explaining their decision to rate The Batman as 15, and not 12A (contains spoilers):

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/about-us/articles/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-batman

"In our last guidelines consultation in 2019, people told us they feel a heightened sense of anxiety when it comes to depictions of 'real world' scenarios, in which audiences – especially young people – are likely to be concerned that events depicted on screen could happen to them. For example, depictions of terrorism, kidnappings, murder and discrimination."

"In 2008, we rated Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight 12A for theatrical release. Following this decision, we received 364 complaints - by far the largest number of complaints we have ever received about a single film. For context, out of all the films released in 2020 we received 93 complaints, and in 2019 we received 149."

Interesting stuff tbh.

thanks for this. I mentioned judging BBFC by their own standards, but it looks like they’ve listened.  

It also highlights the problem with changing the 12 to a 12A back in 2002. It essentially changed 1989’s 12 cert back into PG - which sort of made it redundant. 

If The Batman, or Dark Knight for that matter, had been an old fashioned 12 then I’m not sure anybody would have any issues. 

5 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

I've said for a while they should bring back the strict 12 rating for some films. I suppose it would lead to confusion though but it is definitely warranted sometimes.

Batman had a slight uptick on Saturday. If it was £4.8m on Friday then probably just over £5m on Saturday.

There's a few films that probably would have been strictly 12s like both Venom films and the first Suicide Squad movie. The Duke is another one, it's suitable for the rating but you wouldn't bring anyone younger to it.

1 hour ago, Tarintino said:

I doubt it. All im hearing is it's good but needlessly long. Seems more like a watch at home film

lol at this freezing cold take. 

No one is saying it’s a watch at home film. Not when it looks and sounds this good. 

Plus, it increased on Saturday despite midnights and no family audience. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

lol at this freezing cold take. 

No one is saying it’s a watch at home film. Not when it looks and sounds this good. 

Plus, it increased on Saturday despite midnights and no family audience. 

Im just going by social media comments and the friends that have seen it. One of whom loves everything he watches so for him to tell me to wait to watch it at home, Ill take his word for it

Its saturday may have increased but the OW is nothing special compared to older Batman movies

Edited by Tarintino

20 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Im just going by social media comments and the friends that have seen it. One of whom loves everything he watches so for him to tell me to wait to watch it at home, Ill take his word for it

Its saturday may have increased but the OW is nothing special compared to older Batman movies

It is… only TDKR and Batman v superman (which opened over Easter weekend and therefore was boosted by holidays) had a larger opening, and only by a very small amount (less than £1m in both cases) 

The UK opening relative to most other markets is very impressive. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2