Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Gran Turismo marmalised as expected.

No awareness. Barely a scurrock of marketing. No cultural imprint whatsoever. I suspect regular cinemagoers won't even know it's on, never mind the general public.

Very rare to see something like this. But with a lower budget for a blockbuster it may just be that it has a marketing strategy aimed at specific markets, and we're just not one. Would make sense. We have a big motor sports community but they are not exactly on a venn diagram with moviegoers.

I got the GT trailer with most movies I saw this year. Every time I heard derisive comments. I dunno... for whatever reason it seems to not have clicked at all in the UK. I wonder if the "inspirational true story" angle was the wrong approach to marketing.

i think there is also too much stuff. Barbie and Opp are 2 giants you can hope to get in a whole year and they were realesed in the same weekend. 

Meg, turtles and MI7 seem already 3 successfull alternatives for the kind of audience GT should take, so it's like too much. A september release would have been better. 

Edited by vale9001

Unlike last year where August was so empty, flops just lingered for weeks, cinemas can take the hit since the older releases will be making more money percentage wise.

I wonder what will be number 1, it might not be until September 1st when The Equalizer 3 is released.

6 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Gran Turismo marmalised as expected.

No awareness. Barely a scurrock of marketing. No cultural imprint whatsoever. I suspect regular cinemagoers won't even know it's on, never mind the general public.

Very rare to see something like this. But with a lower budget for a blockbuster it may just be that it has a marketing strategy aimed at specific markets, and we're just not one. Would make sense. We have a big motor sports community but they are not exactly on a venn diagram with moviegoers.

I’ve actually seen quite a lot of promotion for it over the last couple of weeks, plenty of posters at bus stops and on the sides of busses, and I’ve seen TV spots on some of the Sky channels, so they’ve definitely not just hung it out to dry.

6 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I got the GT trailer with most movies I saw this year. Every time I heard derisive comments. I dunno... for whatever reason it seems to not have clicked at all in the UK. I wonder if the "inspirational true story" angle was the wrong approach to marketing.

Probably because it looks generic as hell, and that terrible trailer did it no favours. I’m glad the film is finally out purely so I never have to hear “I know this track, I’ve raced it a thousand times” ever again.

Plus, Gran Turismo isn’t exactly known for its storytelling, so the fact that they’ve slapped that name on it just feels like IP abuse, whether it’s a true story or not.

13 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve actually seen quite a lot of promotion for it over the last couple of weeks, plenty of posters at bus stops and on the sides of busses, and I’ve seen TV spots on some of the Sky channels, so they’ve definitely not just hung it out to dry.

Probably because it looks generic as hell, and that terrible trailer did it no favours. I’m glad the film is finally out purely so I never have to hear “I know this track, I’ve raced it a thousand times” ever again.

Plus, Gran Turismo isn’t exactly known for its storytelling, so the fact that they’ve slapped that name on it just feels like IP abuse, whether it’s a true story or not.

What’s even more hilarious is that the line l “I know this track, I’ve raced it a thousand times” isn’t even in the final film. There’s a similar line towards the end but I’m pretty sure they spliced it with another line earlier in the film. 

They also use a far blander line reading for Harbour’s “You’re gonna strap them to a 200mph rocket. It will tear them to pieces”. Things you notice when your trailer plays in front of every single damn movie for 4 months straight. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

There was an Indian Movie reported as £222,777. Was it including Wednesday Previews. If not, then probably should rank in.

F3-Okx-GYWMAAHg-Jo.jpg

Above, is the snap of Indian Film "Jailer" doing £222,777 Thursday. Ranking 5th.

Friday - £158,570 / £381,347

Chinese Suspense &Thriller Film - "Lost In The Stars" up to £120,228 as of Thursday.

Saturday

Barbie £1.63m (£76.8m)

Opp £1.23m (£44.7m)

Meg £606k (£7.07m)

Haunted Mansion £368k

TMNT £312k (£5.41m)

GT £272k (£816k)

MI7 £228k (£23.86m)

Jailer £177k (£561k)

Elemental £173k (£15.07m)

Rocky £76k (£1.29m)

Edited by UKBoxOffice
wrong HM number
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

barbie surpasses The Lion King and only 100K under Avatar 2. Will surpass todayw for #11 place on all time by box office revenue. Next is Titanic/The last Jedi, should make it before the end of the next week or probably on monday. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1