Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Pleased to see TMNT holding on, it was a surprisingly fun film. Miles better than previous attempts at TMNT films.

Really enjoyed Equalizer 3 as well, so I’m pleased to see it open at number 1. Anyone know how it compared to the openings of the first two? 

I think the three day OW was basically on par with the first two. Very consistent as a franchise,

The Equalizer- £ 1,980,754 

The Equalizer 2 - £1.9m

Edited by Jonwo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Weekend

1. Equalizer £1.96m (£2.78m with previews)

2. Barbie £1.64m (£92.58m)

3. Oppenheimer £959k (£55.41m)

4. TMNT £618k (£9.14m)

5. Sound Of Freedom £589k (£759k with previews)

6. Elemental £559k (£17.93m)

7. Meg £534k (£12.47m)

8. Blue Beetle £495k (£3.99m)

9. Haunted Mansion £394k (£3.97m)

10. Cobweb £302k (£325k with previews)

Jawan should be #1 on Thursday, possibly win weekend I guess. 

edit: nun opened 4M, would need nun 2 under 2m 

Edited by across the Jat verse

8 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Pleased to see TMNT holding on, it was a surprisingly fun film. Miles better than previous attempts at TMNT films.

Really enjoyed Equalizer 3 as well, so I’m pleased to see it open at number 1. Anyone know how it compared to the openings of the first two? 

I did look up TMNT and noticed it’s $300m (!) down on the 2014 film, does it still have more markets left to open? 

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I did look up TMNT and noticed it’s $300m (!) down on the 2014 film, does it still have more markets left to open? 

There’s Australia and Japan left to open this month, but that’s about it unfortunately, although the budget was a lot lower than the previous films, and last I heard there were talks of a TV spin off and potentially a sequel, so hopefully it’s done enough for Paramount.

It seems as though it suffered for the sins of the Bay produced versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Why would you compare it to that? Considering how bad a taste that left and how much the sequel dropped, why don't you look at the 2016 film? It still doesn't make sense, because it's a different medium, but at least the difference is far smaller. But that's like saying Into The Spider Verse dropped 500 million from Homecoming...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Jawan should be #1 on Thursday, possibly win weekend I guess. 

edit: nun opened 4M, would need nun 2 under 2m 

There's obviously always interest from the large Indian communities, and the summer big movies are deep into their runs so less competition, but does Jawan even have enough screens for that sort of performance? I live in an area of London where Turkish, Black Afro/Caribbean and Eastern European minorities are more prevalent than Indians, so I definitely don't think it's representative, but my local has very few weekend screenings and they're all basically empty. It's also sharing IMAX with Oppie and Nun 2, with the Nun having far more showtimes.

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

From where I've been looking around London, Jawan is around 50%, maybe 60% of what Pathaan managed earlier this year. Still big for Bollywood these days, but not the mega hit Pathaan was. 

Advance is way ahead of Pathaan.

Pathaan was 8K in cineworld few hours before release, Jawan is already 8.5k+

14 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Advance is way ahead of Pathaan.

Pathaan was 8K in cineworld few hours before release, Jawan is already 8.5k+

That might be in different regions than here, but London for sure is down on Pathaan. The screen I originally planned to see Pathaan opening night is only half full, compared to a total sell out for Pathaan, that's down at least 400 at £18 for certain. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That might be in different regions than here, but London for sure is down on Pathaan. The screen I originally planned to see Pathaan opening night is only half full, compared to a total sell out for Pathaan, that's down at least 400 at £18 for certain. 

May be release is wider and some other locs is higher

On 9/4/2023 at 11:59 PM, reddevil19 said:

Why would you compare it to that? Considering how bad a taste that left and how much the sequel dropped, why don't you look at the 2016 film? It still doesn't make sense, because it's a different medium, but at least the difference is far smaller. But that's like saying Into The Spider Verse dropped 500 million from Homecoming...

I wasn’t referring to quality really, just that $300m worth of audience is a lot of people. 

On 9/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, cannastop said:

I think that's to be expected kind of like how Spider-Verse isn't as big as No Way Home.

It’s more the international numbers that are pretty small though, $44.9m currently. 

At least the budget is smaller. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I wasn’t referring to quality really, just that $300m worth of audience is a lot of people.

My point isn't related to quality either - it's that you seem to have skipped a whole movie in your comparison. Even if you ignore the live action to animated effect (again, Spider-Verse), there's a whole second Bay-produced live action movie that dropped massively from the first one and is far closer to this, box-office wise...

9 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

My point isn't related to quality either - it's that you seem to have skipped a whole movie in your comparison. Even if you ignore the live action to animated effect (again, Spider-Verse), there's a whole second Bay-produced live action movie that dropped massively from the first one and is far closer to this, box-office wise...

The second Bay film still did $164m internationally, 7 years ago. The 2007 film didn’t make it to $100m worldwide. I guess the franchise has a patchy box office history.