Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Avatar over-performed everywhere. And it's still difficult beating the highest grossing movie of the UK, after all there hasn't been a film in history to even come close to it...Besides, what does Spain have anything to do with this thread?

As you say, Avatar over-performed everywhere, but in some places it did quite higher than others. It is for that reason we have spoken about Spain, whose Avatar run was, proportionally, the biggest in all big markets. We have tried to compare it with Avatar run in UK. Edited by peludo

For any film to do over £80-90m is amazing in itself considering how competitive the market, Avatar was a global hit everywhere in the world, the OS gross of nearly $2bn shows that and it's still the highest grossing film in the US. Before DH2 and Toy Story 3, the highest grossing films after Avatar with £93m was Mamma Mia with £69m then Titanic before its rerelease was also £69m so to outgross both of them by £22m was incredible.Looking ahead, I think the next big hit apart from The Hobbit will be Les Miserables which opens in January, I think if it is well received, I think it easily do £30m+ although it depends on The Hobbit's momentum but we have seen films like Sherlock Holmes and Alvin 2 do £20-25m against strong competition like Avatar,

Edited by Jonwo

SkyF tues looking at 2-2.1m off about 54% LW

The Sam Mendes directed adventure, starring Javier Bardem,Judi Dench and Ralph Fiennes, has now hit a gross of £74.3 million ($118 million) having snared £1.2 million ($1.9 million) Tuesday evening here in the U.K., according to figures from Sony.

40% week-week drop

Box office does make me laugh, just a few year ago people were praying for Avatar to outgross Mamma Mia lol

Well because fucking Extremely Long and Incredibly Condescending is a better movie than Mamma Mia. This is coming from one of biggest Streep fans ever. At least Avatar was somewhat good.

a lot of places did the Complete Twilight Saga (all 5 films including the midnight show) as well at around £15+ a ticket. all of that money plus the midnight shows will be lumped in with the friday's total so it should be pretty massive.we were really busy for the midnight, had to open up our second screen and we did well on the complete saga as well. we're also fully booked for the main evening show tomorrow and about half full for saturday evening so far.

Edited by PhilipJ2001

The Complete Twilight Saga works out at £3 a ticket so it's a bargain for the fans, they've done similar marathon with Potter although that was on a daily schedule, I imagine Lionsgate will do it with The Hunger Games films when they get to Mockingjay part I and II.