Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

5 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Avatar 2 will have it’s time in 10 months. Let’s focus on something a little more immediate. 

Batman predictions for the UK? Can it do £45M?

It's got to be aiming for The Dark Knight Rises numbers. If it can't beat those after 10 years with CBMs becoming bigger and bigger in the UK, then it's pretty much failed

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

Does anyone know how close is No Time to Die to £96.7M? Because I know it's still in some theaters and having been at 96.6M for a couple of months I was curious

£96.674.033.

It grossed £7.429 last weekend.

BFI just updated it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's got to be aiming for The Dark Knight Rises numbers. If it can't beat those after 10 years with CBMs becoming bigger and bigger in the UK, then it's pretty much failed

Not sure exactly what that is in pounds but looks to be about £57M. Seems lofty IMO but we will see.

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

So while I don't think anyone can reasonably expect a dollar gross increase in Europe for Avatar 2, it certainly doesn't have to drop like a stone from the original. 75-85% of Avatar's dollar gross in Europe, off the top of my head, seems like a good goal for Avatar 2 to aim for.

lmao, 75% of 94m (Avatar's 1 Gross) is 70.5m to 79.9m.  Most people agree Avatar 2 at least should do those numbers.  I expect it get near 80m Euro, so I am not sure what you are arguing with us for.

Edited by Shanks

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

lmao, 75% of 94m (Avatar's 1 Gross) is 70.5m to 79.9m.  Most people agree Avatar 2 at least should do those numbers.  I expect it get near 80m Euro, so I am not sure what you are arguing with us for.

He’s talking about dollar gross, no? Avatar did £94M but that was over $150M at the time. 75-85% in USD would actually be an increase in LC for most places. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

He’s talking about dollar gross, no? Avatar did £94M but that was over $150M at the time. 75-85% in USD would actually be an increase in LC for most places. 

lol 75% USD gross of Avatar 1 is equal to £85M- £93M in today's ER rates... that's asking Avatar 2 to top Avatar 1... ok, we can continue to argue xD

12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

lol 75% USD gross of Avatar 1 is equal to £85M- £93M in today's ER rates... that's asking Avatar 2 to top Avatar 1... ok, we can continue to argue xD

Yea it wasn’t an argument. My expectation is £60-75M for it. You made my point which was it’s unlikely to gross 75-85% of the USD.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I wasn't necessarily arguing with you, I was just posting my thoughts. And as @PenguinXXR says, I said 75-85% of Avatar's dollar gross in Europe (overall), not 75-85% of its 94m GBP gross in the UK. Due to the exchange rate differences, Avatar 2 will need to do significantly more than 75-85% of Avatar in local currencies in order to make 75-85% of its dollar gross across Europe overall, especially in the markets where local currency ticket prices have increased (e.g. the UK, Germany, Russia) in order to offset bigger dollar gross declines in markets like Spain and Italy (due to declining local currency ticket prices) and in Russia (the RUB now being worth around 35-40% of what it was worth against the USD in 2010).

So yes, you'd need a gross in the UK approaching or exceeding Avatar's £94m to hit 75-85% of Avatar's dollar gross in Europe overall. I think that's perfectly doable, especially with the average ticket prices we're seeing at the moment for No Way Home and even more so with whatever Avatar 2's average ticket price ends up being.

7 hours ago, Shanks said:

do they? I wouldn’t think any serious analyst would have a clue what to predict for Avatar 2.  
some of the expectations of people on here I’m finding pretty alarming. 

I’m usually very bullish on sequels to behemoths. This one though? Honestly haven’t a clue how big it will be. 

Cameron making four sequels to it seems like the biggest gamble in film history. And he’s gambled plenty! 

There is a lot of movies right now in theaters and some more coming in the next 2 months, and this thread is debating a movie (Avatar 2) wich posible don't come out this year. Give dailies numbers or previous of existing BO and left those presumptions rest in peace. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

There is a lot of movies right now in theaters and some more coming in the next 2 months, and this thread is debating a movie (Avatar 2) wich posible don't come out this year. Give dailies numbers or previous of existing BO and left those presumptions rest in peace. 

Lamentably dailies aren't a thing here in blighty, we're still in the stone ages of box office reporting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Lamentably dailies aren't a thing here in blighty, we're still in the stone ages of box office reporting

Good point, but we need to improve discussion. 

No matter if numbers are low, is important we give numbers for the perception of this box office to grow. Be a reference and some times a little addictive for some of us. I like jatinder and Schumacher posts.

Keep going, don't fall 

Numbers get posted when there are new ones, usually Friday if we get some weekly cumes reported or sun/mon for wknd estimates and then actuals. It’s fine to chat about past or future performance in the market when it isn’t interrupting that.