Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That's not a selling point. Underwater motion capture doesn't mean anything to the general public. 3D is something they understand though. Unless there's a miracle breakthrough for 3D without glasses on a mass market level within the next 6 months, there's no real technological basis that will have any effect on the gross of this movie. It'll be nostalgia, the quality of the film and if they can convince people to go back to 3D as a one off. 

You use the world "Miracle"

Yes,we should believe the Miracle,That's how JC always doing.

18 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

If you want a James Cameron circle Jerk, go back to the Avatar 2 thread, this isn't the place to try and school us on the market we live in just because you love the guy. 

That has nothing to do with Avatar and James Cameron,That's just the hope of the movie future,if the technology of the movie never improve,I can't find the reason why people still going to cinema.

Many of my people around me have no interest to movie and cinema after COVID,compare the movie, they like video game,basketball more,because most of them think movie have nothing difference from TV series,

Just yesterday I went out with my friends,we passed the cinema and I asked them how about we going to see a movie,the result is ,they have no interest to the cinema and movie,one of my best friend talk to me:"why go to the cinema?such a boring thing,Let's going to Internet cafe and play League of Legend!"That's really sad(Although most couple watch the movie when they dating),So I really looking forward to the new industry of movie,attract more people to love the movie and back to cinema again.Maybe I talk too much but I want you understand the feeling of me as a Movie fan face to the fact that movie become less popular recent year especially after COVID,I don't wanna see movie just dying like the classical drama,we really need something attract people back to cinema again after the COVID .

Edited by Bruce

Avatar 2 has the potential to cross £100M here. A max potential of £200M is also possible. Though, some people under-estimate James Cameron because his films are leggy &do not believe on bigger OW, therefore, I am concluding at the midst of £150M.

I would like to say that Ävatar 2 will open bigger than Avengers: Endgame, &leg much better than Titanic. After all, one day those hard works &years of anticipation has been waiting for quite long for a fruitful result!!

Indeed, it will be the only film franchise where each film gross more than $2000M WW, a feat that no series can ever achieve......

Just for the reminder, Do not under-estimate him, as time will verdict the result!!!

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Avatar 2 has the potential to cross £100M here. A max potential of £200M is also possible. Though, some people under-estimate James Cameron because his films are leggy &do not believe on bigger OW, therefore, I am concluding at the midst of £150M.

I would like to say that Ävatar 2 will open bigger than Avengers: Endgame, &leg much better than Titanic. After all, one day those hard works &years of anticipation has been waiting for quite long for a fruitful result!!

Indeed, it will be the only film franchise where each film gross more than $2000M WW, a feat that no series can ever achieve......

Just for the reminder, Do not under-estimate him, as time will verdict the result!!!

I will guarantee you now, there is not a chance that Avatar 2 out opens Endgame in any English language speaking country. To insinuate that there is even a chance is pure lunacy. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I will guarantee you now, there is not a chance that Avatar 2 out opens Endgame in any English language speaking country. To insinuate that there is even a chance is pure lunacy. 

Honestly I'd keep an eye on Australia, the chances there aren't zero

3 hours ago, MG10 said:

Honestly I'd keep an eye on Australia, the chances there aren't zero

Naa. Endgame opening is out of reach in Anglosphere world.

Best case scenario Avatar 2 will do Infinity War opening. Not even No Way Home.

Full run is altogether different matter

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

A2 isn't something that people rush out to see in the theaters. Don't think people care about the characters enough to be anxious to find out what happens to them. That said, something like 600M global opening and 3B finish won't surprise me. 

I'm not convinced the numbers will be that high, but that's the type of run I can imagine there being

2 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

A2 isn't something that people rush out to see in the theaters. Don't think people care about the characters enough to be anxious to find out what happens to them. That said, something like 600M global opening and 3B finish won't surprise me. 

Avatar did 300-310 million ow ww, with China expansion it can open at 500 million ww with all other countries staying the same, so 700 million ww would be what id go for 

Infinity war with China is at around 830 million, 640 without

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 5:32 PM, PenguinXXR said:

I mean anything is feasible in an unknown scenario, but I certainly wouldn’t predict that much. Thinking more like £60-75M.

Even if you were working with 2019 ticket prices I would say that's low. And as I'm sure we're all aware, ticket prices have increased massively since then: across all Cineworld cinemas in the UK and Ireland, for example, the average ticket price increased by nearly 41% from the first 6 months of 2020 to the first 6 months of 2021. Of course, some of that increase (though by no means all of it) is due to release slate differences between the two periods, but even so, I can only imagine how much the average ticket price will have increased in the latter half of 2021 with No Way Home's release.

And on top of that, you'd have to reasonably expect that ticket prices for Avatar 2 will be even higher than for No Way Home, with a further year of inflation, higher premium/3D format shares, and fewer child tickets. Factor all that in to the lower end of your range — £60m — and that's almost certainly at least a 50% drop in ticket sales from Avatar. I think that's a big lowball.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Even if you were working with 2019 ticket prices I would say that's low. And as I'm sure we're all aware, ticket prices have increased massively since then: across all Cineworld cinemas in the UK and Ireland, for example, the average ticket price increased by nearly 41% from the first 6 months of 2020 to the first 6 months of 2021. Some of that increase is due to release slate differences between the two periods, but by no means all of it, and I can only imagine how much the average ticket price will have increased for the latter half of 2021 with No Way Home's release.

And on top of that, you'd have to reasonably expect that ticket prices for Avatar 2 will be even higher than for No Way Home, with a further year of inflation, higher premium/3D format shares, and fewer child tickets. Factor all that in to the lower end of your range — £60m — and that's almost certainly at least a 50% drop in ticket sales from Avatar. I think that's a big lowball.

A 50% drop in admissions isn't necessarily out of the ordinary for this type of movie, but I doubt it goes that high. 30/35% seems more realistic with a lot more up front demand than last time. 

• Like 1

Never mind speculating if Avatar 2 will open to massive numbers, I’d be way more inclined to wonder if it can even open as well as the first one. That would be a start, then go from there. 

Right now I’m seeing some wild predictions, expecting it to be an automatic juggernaut. The truth is we just don’t know at this point. This isn’t some much anticipated sequel by every demograph right now.  

I can’t wait for it personally, but I’m also realistic that many are certainly not hyped for it as it stands.  Would they have been 10 years ago? Definitely. In 2022, the jury is out. 

I never write Cameron off and I’m sure the film will be terrific, but I’m already seeing crazy forecasts.  Let’s wait for a trailer first. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Never mind speculating if Avatar 2 will open to massive numbers, I’d be way more inclined to wonder if it can even open as well as the first one. That would be a start, then go from there. 

You might want to first wonder if it will even release at all! I mean, we're 10 months out and we having gotten anything yet, and Cameron is notorious for delays...