Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

I shared this in the Star Wars thread earlier, but figured I will leave this here too. Just some data regarding sellouts as of midnight on first day of sales.

Some stats regarding sellouts here in the UK.

Data from 157 shows in 88 cinemas across the UK (~15% of the wide release that SW will get). Largely the Cineworld chain, as Odeon and Picturehouse websites are down and have been all day. Vue has not been included, as they have split their showings very widely so the data would be useless.

This is purely for midnight shows on Wednesday 16th December. Tickets have now been on sale for roughly 15 hours, though bear in mind that this information took several hours to compile and the ticket sales will have increased from the time I started to the time I finished with this. So take this with a pinch of salt.

NO SELLOUTS for any non-IMAX shows so far. IMAX shows are 35% sold out.

However, I also took data from shows which were over 95% full. These may be considered 'sellouts' by some, as it is at the point where majority of people will refuse to buy tickets and will go to a different show - shows where the only seats not sold are disabled-only, in very poor locations, or single-seats dotted around occasionally.

Including these 'effective sellouts', IMAX shows are at 88% effectively sold out.

Regular shows are at 8.6% effectively sold out

2D shows are 16% effectively sold out.

44% of 2D shows are over half sold out; 18% of 3D shows are over half full.

The fact that 16% of 2D shows are essentially sellouts and it's not even been one day, is fantastic. Super impressive, haven't seen this with any other movie, nothing has come close (it's miles ahead of where Spectre was, which many alleged would get the biggest sellouts).

And this is with no 7pm shows. This is MIDNIGHT ONLY.

Any questions please ask.

• Like 1

What are you thinking for SW 4 day?

Record is going down imo. AoU opened to £18m (is this the record holder?), and had a £3.6m Thursday and huge £6.2m Saturday.

Reckon SW will top £5m quite easily on the Thursday, smashing that record, and Saturday will probably be over AoU's £6.2m, even with Christmas shopping frenzy. I could see £23m 4 day happening.

Starting to think it could also beat Spectre outright, especially with the holiday boost.

Exciting times ahead.

• Like 1

Record is going down imo. AoU opened to £18m (is this the record holder?), and had a £3.6m Thursday and huge £6.2m Saturday.

Reckon SW will top £5m quite easily on the Thursday, smashing that record, and Saturday will probably be over AoU's £6.2m, even with Christmas shopping frenzy. I could see £23m 4 day happening.

Starting to think it could also beat Spectre outright, especially with the holiday boost.

Exciting times ahead.

That would be unbelievable :o

Exciting times ahead.

Jurassic World had a bigger three day weekend than Avengers but a lower Thursday.

Potter still has the three day OW record but think Star Wars could come close

Edited by Jonwo

Jurassic World had a bigger three day weekend than Avengers but a lower Thursday.

Potter still has the three day OW record but think Star Wars could come close

Ah yes, Jurassic World had a 4 day of £19.4m, that must be the record.

It made £16.8m Fri-Sun. I could see SW doing £17-18m over the weekend, and £5m on the Thursday. So around $35m opening.

Edited by Heretic

HT2 has really benefitted from being the only animated film out at the moment, It'll likely double what the first film in total takings since The Good Dinosaur isn't out until late November. 

This weekend is unsurprisingly poor with Paranormal Activity with a mid week release and The Last Witch Hunter. I imagine HT2 will be number one again.

Edited by Jonwo

What movies do you think the new Star Wars trailer will play in front of? Mockingjay? I know the second teaser for some reason is attached to Bridge of Spies but DAAAARN I want to see the new one in the cinema.