Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Interesting that Vue Westfield is only number 6 and neither OLS or Vue Westfield SC are not in the top 10 at all. How many screens is the Showcase at Bluewater? Metrocentre, Basildon, Kingston and Norwich beating big cinemas in London and Manchester is a surprise. 

Bluwater is 13 screens,

OLS well Empire across from it basically splitting grosses by Cume OLS is currently #2(won't be after thu) but add it to ELS its mega . Couple times in past OLS has been able to take about what OLS+ELS combine done with TFA just by itself(with of cause ELS not running same film), yes other is interesting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rth said:

Bluwater is 13 screens,

OLS well Empire across from it basically splitting grosses by Cume OLS is currently #2(won't be after thu) but add it to ELS its mega . Couple times in past OLS has been able to take about what OLS+ELS combine done with TFA just by itself(with of cause ELS not running same film), yes other is interesting

It's interesting because Empire has a IMAX, they can share big screen titles with OLS which didn't happen in the past. It doesn't happen all the time, Interstellar was exclusive to OLS for example but I imagine we'll likely see more sharing of big screens like with Batman v Superman or Rogue One. 

What the top ten has in common with the exception of Showcase and Vue Westfield is that they all have IMAX although Vue Westfield has its own PLF with VueXtreme. Location plays a huge factor with how a cinema does in terms of admission especially if you're situated in somewhere like a Westfield or a Bluewater. 

The cineworld fall out is jaw-dropping. 

So are we to read from it that odeon Leicester Square have an exclusive deal that means no other cinema equipped to project the roadshow version in 70mm is allowed to show it? It's ambiguous from the statement, but that's how I read it? 

That's crazy, coz where i live in East Anglia, the majority of the cinema multiplexes are 'Cineworld'.

Real bad news for the 'Hateful Eight' film, business wise, and from a publics point of view as well. Mind you, you can see the film on t'Internet. ;)

So on Christmas Day the movie was released in 70mm in 100 theatres across America. After weeks of QT hyping it up as the best way to see his film. 
Then the distributor goes and signs an exclusive deal with odeon Leicester Square so nowhere else in the uk can show this preferred presentation?
If this is what has happened I don't blame cineworld's stance at all. 

• Like 1

To capitalise on the Cineworld/Hateful Eight saga, Vue are offering unlimited popcorn to all customers that see it during opening week...

Three UK exhibitors drop after dispute

I've never been to a cineworld, don't think there's many at all in London, so it shouldn't have a big effect here. Very surprised to hear the news though, will definitely cause a dent in gross. Pre-sales do look good though, it should have a solid opening for an 18-certificate. 

Edited by Heretic

10 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Spectre's passed Avatar now with £94,257,868 as of 3rd January 2016 (source).

It's official: 2 of the UK's top 3 highest grossing films ever are from 2015. I know you have to consider ticket price inflation and everything, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

Same is true for the US. It's cray cray.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

I've never been to a cineworld, don't think there's many at all in London, so it shouldn't have a big effect here. Very surprised to hear the news though, will definitely cause a dent in gross. Pre-sales do look good though, it should have a solid opening for an 18-certificate. 

cineworld is everywhere here in the east (like @mepal1  said). Of the 10 nearest cinemas to me, 7 are cineworld, 1 used to be cineworld and 1 is picturehouse owned by cineworld.