Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

32 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Lego Batman will break out big time once the word of mouth gets out. It's really good. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it beats Fifty Shades Darker next weekend minus previews. 

Speaking of Fifty Shades, I'm not expecting to do anywhere near the OW of the original but £4-5m is likely with a spike on Valentine's Day. There's too much competition in the coming weeks for it to have any legs

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

Curious about the Split numbers and the Hacksaw Ridge numbers for the weekend...

I had a look at my local cinema's numbers and there was an empty afternoon showing of Hacksaw today. The others looked pretty low. It didn't open to great numbers last weekend.

Edited by Manchester by the Tree

7 hours ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

I had a look at my local cinema's numbers and there was an empty afternoon showing of Hacksaw today. The others looked pretty low. It didn't open to great numbers last weekend.

It did pretty well considering how saturated the market is.

It was packed at my cinema on Saturday night. It's not really the type of film that'd do well during the day.  

• Like 1

La La Land becomes Lionsgate’s fourth highest-grossing release of all time.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Sing (Universal) $4.7m (£3.8m) $19m (£15.28m)
2 T2 Trainspotting (Sony) $3.65m (£2.93m) $13.3m (£10.63m)
3 La La Land(Lionsgate) $2.25m (£1.81m) $30.6m (£24.52m)
4 Split (Universal) $1.55m (£1.24m) $10.3m (£8.26m)
5 Lion (Entertainment) $1.09m (£870,870) $6.23m (£5m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

UNIVERSAL

Despite a fall of around 40% (excluding previews), Sing managed to comfortably retain the top spot at the UK box office.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment hit danced to a $4.7m (£3.8m) second weekend for $19m (£15.28m) to date, and it could overtake Despicable Me’s $24.8m (£19.9m) by the end of this coming weekend.

As it did this weekend, The Lego Batman Movie will provide some family competition, but with the upcoming school holidays, there’s more than enough room for the two of them.

Also for Universal, Split held well for a $1.55m (£1.24m) third weekend for $10.3m (£8.26m) so far, having avoided the usual fast-burn nature of genre films at the UK box office.

Loving opened with a somewhat soft $292,000 (£234,183) from its 189 sites, behind both Midnight Special and Mud in terms of Jeff Nichols’ openings. It will hope to rebound midweek, but it’s a busy market for older-skewing films at the moment.

SONY

Following its strong opening, T2 Trainspotting fell 43% as it journeyed to a $3.65m (£2.93m) second weekend.

Sony’s long-awaited sequel has crossed the £10m mark to stand at $13.3m (£10.63m) and should have overtaken Trainspotting’s $15.5m (£12.43m) by the end of this weekend. However, that total is not adjusted for inflation.

Also for Sony, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter disappointed with a UK bow of $578,000 (£463,000) from its 270 sites, marking the lowest opening of the series to date.

Chinese box office hit Journey To The West: The Demons Strike Back grossed $72,000 (£58,000) from only 18 sites, a site average of $4,019 (£3,222).

WARNER BROS

Though it won’t be officially counted until next week, Warner Bros’ The Lego Batman Movie assembled $3.05m (£2.44m) from its two days of previews.

That’s just ahead of The Lego Movie’s $2.74m (£2.2m) previews in 2014 which were added into its overall bow of $10m (£8.05m) from 547 sites. Lego Batman will hope for a similar total, although Sing is formidable competition.

LIONSGATE

La La Land is now Lionsgate’s fourth highest-grossing release of all time in the UK, behind the three Hunger Games sequels.

The Oscar favourite recorded a $2.25m (£1.81m) fourth weekend for a dazzling $30.6m (£24.52m) to date, and likely isn’t anywhere near done yet if it picks up its expected awards wins over the coming weeks.

Also for Lionsgate, Hacksaw Ridge fell only 35% (excluding previews) with a $1.03m (£826,313) second weekend for $4m (£3.2m) after 11 days in play. It should soon overtake Apocalypto’s $5.12m (£4.11m) UK result.

ENTERTAINMENT

Lion continued its healthy UK run by dropping only 21% as it travelled to a $1.09m (£870,870) third weekend as it rose to fifth.

Entertainment’s Best Picture nominee is now up to $6.23m (£5m) after adding more than $1m (£800,000) across its second Mon-Thurs session, despite the competition from other awards contenders.

PARAMOUNT

Rings creeped into the UK box office with a non-final $1.01m (£810,000) debut from its 392 sites.

Paramount’s threequel did at least win the battle of the new horrors by some distance ahead of Resident Evil, but its opening is less than half that of the previous two Ring outings in the UK.

Also for Paramount, xXx: The Final Chapter fell over 65% with a $267,000 (£214,000) third weekend for $4.17m (£3.34m) to date.

PICTUREHOUSE ENTERTAINMENT

Event cinema fans had two releases to enjoy this weekend thanks to Picturehouse Entertainment.

NT Live: Amadeus grossed $891,000 (£714,940) from its 531 sites on Thursday (February 2), while Bolshoi Ballet: Swan Lake took $228,000 (£183,040) from its 199 sites on Sunday (February 5).

STUDIOCANAL

With no awards buzz, Studiocanal’s Gold only dug up $507,000 (£406,399) from its 331 sites on its UK debut.

Director Stephen Gaghan’s previous outing, Syriana, posted a UK bow of $1.08m (£863,175) from its 236 sites, but did benefit from the heavyweight presence of George Clooney and Matt Damon.

Also for Studiocanal, Best Picture contender Manchester By The Sea took $166,000 (£133,388) for $3.3m (£2.65m) after four weeks in play.

EONE

Falling more than 40%, eOne’s Jackie posted a $397,000 (£318,264) third weekend from its 277 sites for a decent $3.19m (£2.56m) to date.

Also for eOne, Denial stands at $584,000 (£468,013) following a $112,000 (£89,731) second weekend.

DISNEY

In its eighth week, Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story added $248,000 (£199,000) for a stellar $82m (£65.7m) to date.

Also for Disney, Moana sailed to a further $208,000 (£167,000) for $23.5m (£18.8m) and receives one final boost with a Sing Along version releasing on February 10.

SODA PICTURES

Oscar Best Foreign Language Film favourite Toni Erdmann is off to a strong start at the UK box office.

Soda Pictures’ comedy posted a debut of $196,000 (£157,438) from its 41 sites, including $44,000 (£34,969) in previews, marking a healthy site average of $4,790 (£3,840).

Critical acclaim and awards recognition should see the film enjoy sturdy holds over the coming weeks.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Warner Bros’ The Lego Batman Movie, Universal’s Fifty Shades Darker and Entertainment’s The Space Between Us.

eOne’s 20th Century Women and Paramount’s Fences both receive wide releases, while Sony’s Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Kaleidoscope’s Prevenge and Dogwoof’s LoveTrue are among the films receiving a limited release.

Another strong weekend. Good for Sing considering the strong competition. With half term coming up next week, £30m+ looks attainable.

Pretty good for Lego Batman too, its full opening with previews will probably be around £6-7m, I doubt it reaches the same heights as The Lego Movie, but you never know with schools breaking up on Friday.

Decent hold for T2, should pass £15m quite easily.

Split has had a great run so far, it looks set to pass the £10m mark with ease.

La La Land will probably get a bump from half term too, and with the Bafta's coming up this weekend, and the oscar's soon after, it still has a lot to go. I imagine after awards season is over (assuming it wins Best picture) it'll be heading for £35m.

Nice for Hacksaw Ridge, it's a pity the market is so crowded right now, but it should still be able to reach at least £5m, unless it loses a lot of theatres/screens this weekend due to Fifty Shades/Lego Batman. It's possible, as at most locations it's only playing 1 or 2 times a day.

Lion is also having a very nice run, it could get close to £10m if it's able to hold onto screens throughout February.

Lol at Resident Evil.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

On 2/6/2017 at 5:06 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Resident Evil is fucking pathetic, with IMAX and 4DX and all other metrics, there is no way that should have missed £1m! Freaking hilarious, and deserved fail.

It was actually a limited release. Where I live, Empire cinemas didn't show it and the Odeon one had 1 showing a day! Plus there has been zero promotion for this film, they never advertised it at all! I didn't expect it to do that well here with the limited showings.

Edited by StephenN18

58 minutes ago, StephenN18 said:

It was actually a limited release. Where I live, Empire cinemas didn't show it and the Odeon one had 1 showing a day! Plus there has been zero promotion for this film, they never advertised it at all! I didn't expect it to do that well here with the limited showings.

It got beaten by Gold. That tells me everything I need to know. 

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Fifty Shades looks busy tonight, but nothing like the first one, which had unprecedented pre-sales. I expect half of the first at best, as that also had the added benefit of Valentine's Day falling on OW. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Valentine's Day is busier than today.