Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Lion arrived in fourth place on its UK box office debut.

Entertainment’s drama travelled to a solid $1.57m (£1.26m) from its 369 sites, marking a $4,267 (£3,426) site average. Given the crowded market at the moment, it’s a promising start and means it could make an impact midweek.

Impressive given the fact it was only at 369 sites and given just one screen in most cinemas.

Edited by Heretic

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Lego Batman is the big question mark as The Lego Movie opened to £8m with previews, it's been marketed really well but I don't know if it'll open as high as The Lego Movie. 

Trainspotting 2 I imagine will do pretty well as well although it's 18 rated so I'm not expecting more than £3-4m.

Trainspotting will do very well this weekend, probably similar numbers to Split, although I think it'll have a few more showtimes, so maybe £3m. Will be close between it and La La Land for number 1.

Oscar noms come out this week too, so we could see some great holds for awards contenders, La La Land included.

Hacksaw Ridge is also out this Thursday, although I doubt it does much more than £1m opening, similar to its response elsewhere around the world. The market is incredibly crowded right now, there are too many adult skewing films for them all to do well.

Edited by Heretic

Just now, Heretic said:

Trainspotting will do very well this weekend, probably similar numbers to Split, although I think it'll have a few more showtimes, so maybe £3m. Will be close between it and La La Land for number 1.

Oscar noms come out this week too, so we could see some great holds for awards contenders, La La Land included.

You mean number 2, Sing will be number 1 easily. 

Hacksaw Ridge should do decently as well, I'm not expecting huge numbers but I think if it gets an Oscar nomination then it'll do over £2m. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

You mean number 2, Sing will be number 1 easily. 

Hacksaw Ridge should do decently as well, I'm not expecting huge numbers but I think if it gets an Oscar nomination then it'll do over £2m. 

Ah yes of-course number 2.

Doubt Hacksaw Ridge will have enough showtimes to open above £2m, I've hardly seen any marketing for it either.

I think this January will come in very high with regards to admissions, maybe the biggest since 2013's record breaking January.

The previews number for Sing just shows how superb Universal marketed it whereas Disney didn't do much marketing for Moana hence the lower OW but luckily it had fantastic WOM to help get a huge multiplier. Warner Bros likewise has done a really good job marketing Lego Batman and I suspect that'll do really well in previews and on its actual opening weekend, whether it can close to SLOP or Sing previews remains to be seen.

Pre-sales for Trainspotting 2 are very strong. It's selling out a lot of shows in Scotland especially, I think it'll do close to £4m this weekend, maybe more. 

Its going to be an insanely busy weekend for cinemas. I don't envy their screening allocation right now. The market is fully saturated and it'll get even worse during February. 

• Like 1

January/February has suddenly become one of the busiest times for the UK calendar. You've got all of the Oscar movies shoved here, large holiday holdovers, new family tentpole releases, new blockbusters have proven successful here too so they're getting more prominence... if anything it's even more complicated for cinema programming now that it would be over the Christmas period. The variety of demand is crazy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dan9 said:

January/February has suddenly become one of the busiest times for the UK calendar. You've got all of the Oscar movies shoved here, large holiday holdovers, new family tentpole releases, new blockbusters have proven successful here too so they're getting more prominence... if anything it's even more complicated for cinema programming now that it would be over the Christmas period. The variety of demand is crazy. 

Definitely. In the last few years especially, the whole period from January to April which used to be 'down-time' for the box office (apart from school holidays) has become just as lucrative if not sometimes even more so than the traditional tent pole months. 

Business is a lot more spread out than it used to be, but I guess it has to be with the ridiculous number of films being released every year now, and it's still increasing.

Edited by Heretic

31 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think we're at a point now where any month can launch a blockbuster in the UK, in a number of ways. The idea that the biggest film of a given year at any point would release on September is absurd to the US, but it briefly happened here for us last year! 

Bridget Jones was a rare example of a film opening huge in a quiet month but I don't think even Universal thought it would be as big as it was. 

I would not be surprised if Lego Batman does double what Fifty Shades Darker does on its OW, the marketing for Lego Batman is been very good, equal to Sing 

All Cineworlds in Scotland had to add extra showings for Trainspotting for this weekend. 

The two Glasgow ones had sold out every showing today by Tuesday.

I've never seen any UK cinema chain publicly announce extra showings being added like this before.

Source: Cineworld Facebook Page.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

£2m OD for T2?

It'll probably have one of the biggest openings of all time in Scotland, but it won't be nearly as big in England. It looks busy, but nothing exceptional like is being seen in Scotland. 

Edited by Heretic

For stats nerds, here's the breakdown of the 2016 UK box office:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/downloads/bfi-uk-box-office-2016.pdf

June was the lowest admissions which isn't too surprising due to the football but I'm shocked August was the highest month of 2016. November and December were massively down but I assume that's due to no Bond and Rogue One not doing nearly as well on its OW as TFA. May is a very consistent month.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Sing is looking crazy busy again. It's breaking out massively in the UK.

It'll be interesting who wins the weekend if you take away the previews, I think Sing will have the edge but I imagine T2 will be higher on weekdays.