Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Sing is looking packed this afternoon. Seen quite a few sellouts for it too, with previews added on I can see an opening of £6-7m.

2017 has started off on a very strong note in the U.K. 

I think an opening similar to Trolls is doable, its the first kids movie in ages so families will be looking for a new film to watch. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think an opening similar to Trolls is doable, its the first kids movie in ages so families will be looking for a new film to watch. 

Yeah, although I think it'll open higher than Trolls. Around £7m is doable, it's looking absolutely packed everywhere. Wouldn't surprise me if it beat La La Land today. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, although I think it'll open higher than Trolls. Around £7m is doable, it's looking absolutely packed everywhere. Wouldn't surprise me if it beat La La Land today. 

I think with the amount of new releases and holdovers, £7m might be tricky though not impossible. It'll be interesting how it holds especially with Lego Batman coming in two weeks. Most big animated films released in the January/February period have done £20m+ only The Lego Movie broke £30m which I'm not expecting for either Sing or Lego Batman but £20-25m for both seems doable 

Though it won’t be officially reported until next week, Sing has had a record-breaking start to its UK run.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment feature scored the biggest-ever previews for an original animation with a show-stopping $5.21m (£4.19m) haul on Saturday and Sunday.

That tops the $4.52m (£3.63m) taken by previous record holder The Secret Life Of Pets, also from Illumination, which went on to enjoy a $11.9m (£9.58m) debut. An opening of more than £10m is all-but guaranteed for Sing.

Holy fuck! Sing is a monster.

Full report:

Universal’s Sing records biggest-ever previews for an original animation with $5.21m (£4.19m).

Further distributor results to come…

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

LIONSGATE

Having crossed £10m during its first week, La La Land continued to shine brightly at the UK box office.

Lionsgate’s awards contender fell only 23% (excluding previews) as it danced to a $5.44m (£4.37m) second weekend for $18.5m (£14.88m) to date, retaining the number one spot for the second straight week as it expanded to 674 sites.

With $5m (£4m) taken during its first Monday-Thursday period, there is no reason to doubt that La La Land will continue to draw big crowds midweek, meaning that it could hit £20m this coming weekend.

Sing will likely prevent it from a third straight week as the UK’s number one, but it should still enjoy a steady hold.

UNIVERSAL

Though it won’t be officially reported until next week, Sing has had a record-breaking start to its UK run.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment feature scored the biggest-ever previews for an original animation with a show-stopping $5.21m (£4.19m) haul on Saturday and Sunday.

That tops the $4.52m (£3.63m) taken by previous record holder The Secret Life Of Pets, also from Illumination, which went on to enjoy a $11.9m (£9.58m) debut. An opening of more than £10m is all-but guaranteed for Sing.

Also for Universal, Split recorded director M. Night Shyamalan’s fourth-best opening at the UK box office.

The psychological thriller landed at second with $3.16m (£2.54m) from its 450 sites, marking a healthy site average of $7,030 (£5,645), behind The Village ($3.67m/£2.94m from 433) but ahead of After Earth ($2.8m/£2.25m from 470).

As the sole major genre offering in the market at the moment and with decent reviews, it could enjoy a sustained run.

PARAMOUNT

xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage charted third on its UK bow.

Paramount’s action threequel shot to a non-final $2m (£1.6m) from its 461 sites, including $252,000 (£202,000) from Thursday (January 19). It would have still charted third based solely on Fri-Sun takings.

That’s some way short of xXx’s $4.3m (£3.43m) debut from 435 sites back in 2002, but did at least top the sequel’s $1.14m (£913,257) bow from 398 sites.

Also for Paramount, Monster Trucks stands at $4.21m (£3.38m) following a $125,000 (£100,000) fourth weekend.

DISNEY

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will break into the top ten highest-grossing films of all time at the UK box office this week.

Disney’s spin-off fell 51% with a $1.09m (£876,230) sixth weekend for a terrific $80.1m (£64.34m) to date. Next in its sights is Jurassic World’s $80.3m (£64.5m) and Philosopher’s Stone’s $82.3m (£66.1m).

Also for Disney, Moana sailed to a $608,000 (£488,559) eighth weekend for $22.6m (£18.18m) to date.

It faced competition from Sing’s previews this weekend, but has still had a great run, taking more than eight times its opening weekend which is rare.

STUDIOCANAL

Manchester By The Sea expanded to 306 sites to post a minimal drop with a $645,000 (£518,123) second weekend.

Studiocanal’s awards contender is now up to a promising $2.05m (£1.65m) after ten days in play, and could receive a further midweek boost if Casey Affleck gets his expected Oscar nomination this week.

Also for Studiocanal, Silence has grossed $2.7m (£2.17m) after three weeks in play.

FOX

Falling 64% in its third weekend, Fox’s Assassin’s Creed hunted down a non-final $425,000 (£341,450) for $9.5m (£7.66m) to date, meaning it will miss out on hitting £10m.

Also for Fox, Trolls and Why Him? stand at $29.7m (£23.81m) and $6.06m (£4.87m), respectively.

SONY

Dropping 66% in its fifth weekend, Sony’s Passengers travelled to an extra $328,000 (£263,137) for a decent $15.5m (£12.43m) to date.

Also for Sony, Underworld: Blood Wars posted a steep drop of almost 80% with an $88,000 (£70,780) second weekend for $755,000 (£606,514), meaning it will end its run as the lowest-grossing Underworld outing of the series.

WARNER BROS

Now in its 10th week, Warner Bros’ Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them added $233,000 (£187,000) for $67.7m (£54.33m) to date.

Also for Warner Bros, Live By Night posted a hefty drop of almost 80% with a $176,000 (£141,000) second weekend for $1.49m (£1.19m).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’s Sing, Sony’s T2 Trainspotting and Lionsgate’s Hacksaw Ridge (opens January 26).

eOne’s Denial receives a wide release, while Dogwoof’s Cameraperson and Curzon Artificial Eye’s Christine are among the films receiving a limited release.

Amazing second week for La La Land. It should pass £20m comfortably this weekend, and it looks like it'll make a run for £30m at the very least. Huge.

Incredible opening for Split too, didn't expect it at all until seeing so many sell-outs this weekend.

Rogue One is winding down now, but still making some good money, looks like it'll end around £66-67m, which would be the 9th biggest film of all time in the UK. Can't really complain. It's had a fantastic run.

Moana still chugging along slowly, but it'll probably just miss £20m due to the arrival of Sing. 

Interested to see what Lion grossed. It looked packed over the weekend, and I think it'll too have a long run.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

OMG! Sing is a real monster! How far it can go? +$40m total maybe?

Probably. An opening between $11-12m seems likely, and half term is coming up in a few weeks, so $40m is a good target right now.

It does face big competition in Lego Batman though, which also comes out in the half-term, but I'm sure the two can co-exist, as Lego Batman will probably skew more male.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Probably. An opening between $11-12m seems likely, and half term is coming up in a few weeks, so $40m is a good target right now.

It does face big competition in Lego Batman though, which also comes out in the half-term, but I'm sure the two can co-exist, as Lego Batman will probably skew more male.

Lego Batman is the big question mark as The Lego Movie opened to £8m with previews, it's been marketed really well but I don't know if it'll open as high as The Lego Movie. 

Trainspotting 2 I imagine will do pretty well as well although it's 18 rated so I'm not expecting more than £3-4m.

Edited by Jonwo