grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Full list revealed

Time to reveal the top 25 movies of 1999 as voted on by the forum.

• 62 Lists were received
  • 138 movies were nominated
  • 23 different movies were #1 on a list
  • The winning movie was not #1 on the most lists received
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Huh. That seems low.

Only 51 different movies got a top 5 position, of those 23 appeared in the top 5 on only one or 2 lists. So effectively only 28 movies made consensus top 5s. Which is very top heavy. For almost the final 25-30 lists, I barely had to add additional movies since it was from the pool already in the list.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Only 51 different movies got a top 5 position, of those 23 appeared in the top 5 on only one or 2 lists. So effectively only 28 movies made consensus top 5s. Which is very top heavy. For almost the final 25-30 lists, I barely had to add additional movies since it was from the pool already in the list.

I guess there are only so many movies from just one year.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

#1 on 1 list

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 27 lists

51JnMI-pNyL.jpg

The breakout sequel to end all breakout sequels. Austin Powers 2 had one of the best marketing campaigns ever, including the Star Wars spoof trailer

It outgrossed the first movie within opening weekend and made Mike Myers a superstar for a few years. This James Bond spoof actually outgrossed all Bond movies till that time and only Skyfall has grossed more than this movie in the Bond series. 

• Like 17
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

Cruel Intentions

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 2 lists

Appears on 20 lists

maxresdefault.jpg

1999 was a great year for teen movies, most of which were based on older novels and plays with the setting moved to 1999 America. Cruel Intentions, based on the french novel, Les Liaisons dangereuses, was probably the most controversial of them. Bringing topics of sex and drugs to the forefront as opposed to under the surface like the other teen movies, this was definitely a gamechanger for the entire cast. 

Reese Witherspoon also had a breakout year between this movie and Election (which may or may not appear on this list) and Sarah Michelle Gellar consolidated her popularity from Buffy.

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Cruel Intentions

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 2 lists

Appears on 20 lists

maxresdefault.jpg

1999 was a great year for teen movies, most of which were based on older novels and plays with the setting moved to 1999 America. Cruel Intentions, based on the french novel, Les Liaisons dangereuses, was probably the most controversial of them. Bringing topics of sex and drugs to the forefront as opposed to under the surface like the other teen movies, this was definitely a gamechanger for the entire cast. 

Reese Witherspoon also had a breakout year between this movie and Election (which may or may not appear on this list) and Sarah Michelle Gellar consolidated her popularity from Buffy.

That's a sexy ass movie

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Bowfinger

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 23 lists

MPW-48199

One of my all time favorite comedies. This is a satire of Hollywood and a movie in which no one can be called a good person. Eddie Murphy not even being considered for an Oscar for this role is a travesty as he perfectly plays the Tom Cruise like movie star who is handled by a cult and his hapless brother who has to step in as a body double.

The movie includes a lot of funny sequences especially when they try to film a movie starring Eddie Murphy's character without him knowing he is in a movie.

The entire cast delivers hilarious performances and the movie is a great watch all around. It wasn't a box office success but might have made it into profit with home video.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I think it's the worst of the three Austin Powers movies... I don't think I had it on my list at all... wasn't this a top 30 list? Honestly, until it appeared at #25 I think I forgot it even came out in 1999, LOL... 

It made my list....

I thought I was voting for the first one.  :bagoverhead:

• Haha 3

Spoiler

American Pie

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 2 lists

Appears on 30 lists

xwkajcoifvopiggmwi11

The movie which made people look at pies in a weird way. The biggest teen movie in a banner year for teen movies. This movie re-launched the teen sex comedy subgenre and became a franchise unto itself with a number of theatrical and direct to video sequels. Eugene Levy as the dad being the only recurring character in all the movies.

It also launched the careers of almost everyone in it, to such an extent that every actor is still associated with their role in this franchise regardless of what else they have done in their careers.

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

That list in the American Pie trailer...

"The Top Movies To See After Star Wars..."

"Austin Powers"

"American Pie"

"Wild Wild West"

Princess Mononoke in that 4th spot (!!).

"Eyes Wide Shut"

Me: :apocalypse: I think you skipped one there.