grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Full list revealed

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

It is my least favorite of the Disney 90s Era.  You can't go from effing Alan Menken and Elton John to the drummer from Genesis who wrote Sussudio. Nope.

You mean from the guy who wrote Take Take Me Home and In The Air Tonight?  Yep, horrible writer there.  :redcapes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Notting Hill

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 21 lists

61yThgwtp8L._SY679_.jpg

One of my all time favorite romcoms. Features peak Julia Roberts and peak Hugh Grant and a great soundtrack for a romcom. A lot of iconic scenes as well.  This might have also been the final hurrah for the romcom as Roberts aged out of the roles and the crown of romcom queen was passed to Katherine Heigl.

Notting Hill also features one of the best romcom endings

Also one of my faves.  It's funny and sweet and as you mentioned, has one of the all time great endings.  

#111-138

I didn't verify eligibility, just took them as they came in

111 Drive Me Crazy
112 Trick
113 Analyze This
114 Blue Streak
115 Double Jeopardy
116 Drop Dead Gorgeous
117 True Crime
118 8MM
119 anywhere but here
120 Mansfield Park
121 Late August, Early September
122 Shiri
123 Get Real
124 Sweet and Lowdown
125 Taboo
126 An Ideal Husband
127 Brokedown Palace
128 the bone collector
129 Baby Geniuses
130 Flawless
131 Message In a bottle
132 chill factor
133 following
134 house on haunted hill
135 Ravenous
136 SLC Punk!
137 The Rage: Carrie 2
138 Wing Commander
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I had Brokedown Palace on my list.  I'm truly shocked that anyone could put Wing Commander on their list.  That is a true pos, imo.

Just now, captainwondyful said:

It is my least favorite of the Disney 90s Era.  You can't go from effing Alan Menken and Elton John to the drummer from Genesis who wrote Sussudio. Nope.

:rofl: It's near the bottom for that era fr me as well yet still good enough for top 25 of 1999

I prefer to remember Phil for White Nights' Separate Lives (but then I like to think about Baryshnikov & Hines)

• Like 1

Spoiler

The Talented Mr. Ripley

#1 on 1 list

Top 5 on 5 lists

Appears on 26 lists

s-l640.jpg

Matt Damon playing against type in his most chilling performance. This was a genuine thriller, almost like a Catch Me If You Can, just with more deceit and way more murder. 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Talented Mr. Ripley

#1 on 1 list

Top 5 on 5 lists

Appears on 26 lists

s-l640.jpg

Matt Damon playing against type in his most chilling performance. This was a genuine thriller, almost like a Catch Me If You Can, just with more deceit and way more murder. 

Patricia Highsmith - a hell of a writer who really knew her way around dark and twisted.

• Like 2

My top films:

American Pie

South Park

Big Daddy

Dogma

Payback 

Varsity Blues

Blair Witch Project

House On Haunted Hill

Fight Club 

End Of Days

Stir Of Echoes

Deep Blue Sea

8MM

Blue Streak

Bowfinger

Austin Powers Spy Who Shagged Me

Deuce Bigelow Male Gigolo

Good as teen but might like as an adult:

Rage Carrie 2

Need to revisit: 

The Mummy

Bats 

Analyze This

World Is Not Enough

Toy Story 2

Lake Placid

need to watch:

The Matrix

Entrapment 

Go

Idle Hands

Worst:

Life  

Wild Wild West and The Haunting Saw them on tape May have to rewatch to laugh at them or I may like them lol. 

A great year of films! 

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

Spoiler

The Blair Witch Project

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 6 lists

Appears on 24 lists

the-blair-witch-project-i13598.jpg

Writeup by @baumer

As much as this film is a horror by definition, it is more of a psychological study of the human spirit. This movie asks the question " How much can a human being take before we lose it?" And on that level The Blair Witch Project is perfect. We see three people that start off with good intentions and ambitious spirits and then we watch them unravel as fear sets in. And all throughout this film I kept asking myself how would I react if I was in the same situation? And the answer that I came to was,probably the same way that these three did. When you have human beings in what is seemingly a dire problem and an impossible location, how does that affect you? Do you laugh about it? Do you freak out on each other? Do you look for blame? Are you frightened? The answer to those questions is "Yes". You do all of them. The characters in this film are real people and what we see them go through is real....to an extent.  The "actors" were never in jeopardy or any real danger, but all the situations we see them in, although scripted, are genuine reactions.  Each actor was given notes as to what they were going to do but all of the reactions in the film are genuine.  And that is what makes this film as good as it is. We feel that we are watching this happen to three people that we know because the film actually gives us time to understand these characters. IMO, this is one of the more frightening films of the last 20 years.  And what makes it scary is the fear of not knowing. No one knows what it is that they are hearing. No one knows what it is that you see in that bundle of wood. It's red and wet and looks like blood and skin, but what exactly is it? Not knowing what's scaring these three people is terrifying. And it also has one of the best endings for any horror film.  Mike standing in the corner and Heather reacting to it left me terrified as I left the theatre.  It's not a film for everyone, but for those, like me, who loved it and appreciated it, it left an indelible mark.  Box office wise, it was made on a budget of $30,000.  The marketing budget initially was non existent as well.  But they put "person missing posters" up around Cannes when it played there.  Artisan and Daniel Myrick and Edward Sanchez were also one of the first producers to use viral marketing to their advantage.  And when all the dust cleared, it made 250 million dollars WW and it made millionaires out of Myrick and Sanchez, plus, as promised, they gave a cut to the three actors.  Heather Donahue, Mike Williams and Joshua Leonard all received 3 million dollars as a thank you.  This is truly one of the films that changed the landscape of Hollywood.  

• Like 15
  • Disbelief 2

My apologies, @chasmmi pointed out that Cruel Intentions was #1 on his list and it was listed as zero #1 votes. Turns out that i miscalculated the #1s list. I adopted a new scoring mechanism last year with 30 points for #1 instead of 25, but the #1 list generator was still looking for 25 points, so it was actually the #2s list.

My apologies again. The actual #1 on number of lists for the movies so far

Only Cruel Intentions and Talented Mr Ripley were #1 on 1 list each. All other movies haven't been #1 on any list.

Also, this means that the movie with most #1s also won the countdown,

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My apologies again. The actual #1 on number of lists for the movies so far

Only Cruel Intentions and Talented Mr Ripley were #1 on 1 list each. All other movies haven't been #1 on any list.

Also, this means that the movie with most #1s also won the countdown,

huh.

This doesn't affect the order, does it?

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Blair Witch Project

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 6 lists

Appears on 24 lists

the-blair-witch-project-i13598.jpg

Writeup by @baumer

As much as this film is a horror by definition, it is more of a psychological study of the human spirit. This movie asks the question " How much can a human being take before we lose it?" And on that level The Blair Witch Project is perfect. We see three people that start off with good intentions and ambitious spirits and then we watch them unravel as fear sets in. And all throughout this film I kept asking myself how would I react if I was in the same situation? And the answer that I came to was,probably the same way that these three did. When you have human beings in what is seemingly a dire problem and an impossible location, how does that affect you? Do you laugh about it? Do you freak out on each other? Do you look for blame? Are you frightened? The answer to those questions is "Yes". You do all of them. The characters in this film are real people and what we see them go through is real....to an extent.  The "actors" were never in jeopardy or any real danger, but all the situations we see them in, although scripted, are genuine reactions.  Each actor was given notes as to what they were going to do but all of the reactions in the film are genuine.  And that is what makes this film as good as it is. We feel that we are watching this happen to three people that we know because the film actually gives us time to understand these characters. IMO, this is one of the more frightening films of the last 20 years.  And what makes it scary is the fear of not knowing. No one knows what it is that they are hearing. No one knows what it is that you see in that bundle of wood. It's red and wet and looks like blood and skin, but what exactly is it? Not knowing what's scaring these three people is terrifying. And it also has one of the best endings for any horror film.  Mike standing in the corner and Heather reacting to it left me terrified as I left the theatre.  It's not a film for everyone, but for those, like me, who loved it and appreciated it, it left an indelible mark.  Box office wise, it was made on a budget of $30,000.  The marketing budget initially was non existent as well.  But they put "person missing posters" up around Cannes when it played there.  Artisan and Daniel Myrick and Edward Sanchez were also one of the first producers to use viral marketing to their advantage.  And when all the dust cleared, it made 250 million dollars WW and it made millionaires out of Myrick and Sanchez, plus, as promised, they gave a cut to the three actors.  Heather Donahue, Mike Williams and Joshua Leonard all received 3 million dollars as a thank you.  This is truly one of the films that changed the landscape of Hollywood.  

It’s probably my least favorite movie ever

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

10 Things I Hate About You

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 8 lists

Appears on 26 lists

51FFc1GwVaL.jpg

My personal favorite teen movie of this year. An adaptation of The Taming Of The Shrew, this movie instantly catapulted Heath Ledger into the mainstream and has a very talented young cast, each of whom went on to bigger things and one of whom is a cult leader in Hollywood now.

It also has the iconic Heath Ledger singing scene

• Like 16