grim22

BOT Retrospective - Top 25 Movies of 1999. Full list revealed

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Bold prediction this will not make the list

One would hope.  It's a movie that gave us a great music video but was so cringingly awful Will Smith is still publicly apologizing for tricking an audience into seeing it while promoting it.

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Cruel Intentions

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 2 lists

Appears on 20 lists

maxresdefault.jpg

1999 was a great year for teen movies, most of which were based on older novels and plays with the setting moved to 1999 America. Cruel Intentions, based on the french novel, Les Liaisons dangereuses, was probably the most controversial of them. Bringing topics of sex and drugs to the forefront as opposed to under the surface like the other teen movies, this was definitely a gamechanger for the entire cast. 

Reese Witherspoon also had a breakout year between this movie and Election (which may or may not appear on this list) and Sarah Michelle Gellar consolidated her popularity from Buffy.

Perhaps the sexiest line of all time was in this movie, is when SMG tells Phillipe that if he wins, she'll let him put it anywhere he wants to.  I think every teenage boy and young adult just about lost their mind in that scene.  

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

American Pie

#1 on 0 lists

Top 5 on 2 lists

Appears on 30 lists

xwkajcoifvopiggmwi11

The movie which made people look at pies in a weird way. The biggest teen movie in a banner year for teen movies. This movie re-launched the teen sex comedy subgenre and became a franchise unto itself with a number of theatrical and direct to video sequels. Eugene Levy as the dad being the only recurring character in all the movies.

It also launched the careers of almost everyone in it, to such an extent that every actor is still associated with their role in this franchise regardless of what else they have done in their careers.

The film that brought back credibility to the teen/highschool/college movie.  Perfect casting, a terrific script and so many funny scenes.  Stiffler became a legend and Stiffler's mom!

1 minute ago, baumer said:

The film that brought back credibility to the teen/highschool/college movie.  Perfect casting, a terrific script and so many funny scenes.  Stiffler became a legend and Stiffler's mom!

Something that largely doesn't exist anymore, outside indies like Lady Bird or Booksmart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Something that largely doesn't exist anymore, outside indies like Lady Bird or Booksmart.

I think there is still a market for it now, but not the way they are currently trying to make them.  

Spoiler

Tarzan

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 21 lists

51RPQPLr6PL.jpg

I haven't watched this movie, not when it released and not since. So I don't have much to say here. Discuss among yourselves :) 

• Like 13
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I think there is still a market for it now, but not the way they are currently trying to make them.  

Well I don't think Lady Bird was intended to be an American Pie or Superbad type hit.

Booksmart, maybe it was.

Not sure if there is a market for it, actually.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Tarzan

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 21 lists

51RPQPLr6PL.jpg

I haven't watched this movie, not when it released and not since. So I don't have much to say here. Discuss among yourselves :) 

what a bad movie lol

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It is my least favorite of the Disney 90s Era.  You can't go from effing Alan Menken and Elton John to the drummer from Genesis who wrote Sussudio. Nope.

• Like 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

It is my least favorite of the Disney 90s Era.  You can't go from effing Alan Menken and Elton John to the drummer from Genesis who wrote Sussudio. Nope.

I can feel it coming in the air tonight.

Anyways, I like his sappy shit for Tarzan.

Also has Disney's best character animation ever. Glen Keane and Ken Duncan for the win.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Notting Hill

#1 on 2 lists

Top 5 on 3 lists

Appears on 21 lists

61yThgwtp8L._SY679_.jpg

One of my all time favorite romcoms. Features peak Julia Roberts and peak Hugh Grant and a great soundtrack for a romcom. A lot of iconic scenes as well.  This might have also been the final hurrah for the romcom as Roberts aged out of the roles and the crown of romcom queen was passed to Katherine Heigl.

Notting Hill also features one of the best romcom endings

• Like 11
  • ...wtf 1