TMP

Next Goal Wins | November 17, 2023 | Searchlight | Taika Waititi movie on Samoan Football Team

Just Google Fassbender's name with "allegations" and the articles will come up. It's nothing as out there as Armie and it's only one person (so far) and maybe that's how it will remain.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if things like that come up when a studio is weighing their options. "Do we go forward with the guy who got canceled, or replace him and pray no one else involved in the movie also ends up with #MeToo headlines?"

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Pretty easy to look up. His shit sounds way worse than Armie's weirdo texts 

Also I don't see any way this stuff doesn't come up once they start having to promote the movie, other than dumping it on some streaming service and pretending it doesn't exist, which...

Edited by MOVIEGUY

Deadline's article makes it sound like Hammer was replaced before any of the drama ("From what we understand, Waititi held reshoots and Hammer wasn’t available." - easy to be unavailable when you're completely unemployable these days) and we're only finding out about it now. Movie's been on the shelf for a while.

It looks like the Fassbender accusations (which I also wasn't aware of) were from early 2018 (around the height of #MeToo)? Doesn't seem like it's moving beyond he said/she said territory unless there's criminal charges to be filed. Mentioned this before but it's really hard for tabloid-esque scandals to stick these days when we got really serious stuff with far-reaching consequences like a pandemic and nutjobs trying to stage an insurrection at the US Capitol going on.

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Deadline's article makes it sound like Hammer was replaced before any of the drama ("From what we understand, Waititi held reshoots and Hammer wasn’t available." - easy to be unavailable when you're completely unemployable these days) and we're only finding out about it now. Movie's been on the shelf for a while.

I figured they were just being euphemistic about Hammer's unavailability, but maybe the reshoots happened before everything blew up. It's almost a year since the allegations went viral and he started getting dropped from roles, plenty of time for new footage to have been filmed in the aftermath. The timeline will be cleared up soon enough, I guess.

• Like 1