Jason

Top 100 Movies of the 1970s - October 6th is deadline

The below was written by @cannastop, who will do the write-ups. I will be doing the tabulating, so pm the lists to me.

Can-You-Complete-These-1970s-Movie-Title

http://quizly.co/can-you-complete-these-1970s-movie-titles/

The 1970s were a revolutionary time for movies around the world. In the US, ticket sales were reaching new lows, but yet new exciting records were set. Hit movies such as The Godfather, The Exorcist, The Sting, and Jaws were then dominated by Star Wars, which heralded the blockbuster age in the film industry that we still know today.

The rating system introduced by the MPAA in the late 1960s was utilized to its fullest in the 1970s. Movies rated R and X reached wide audiences, as such content could not be found on TV until the proliferation of cable television.

The rules are modified from @The Panda's all time 100 list.

The Rules:

1. Create a list of 10-100 of your favourite 70s movies, ranked, and send them to me by pm. They must be sent by pm in order to be counted, I won't count lists just posted in the thread.
  2. The deadline is October 6th, 2019.
  3. When you submit your list, you can write out a reason why you chose a movie in your top 10 and @cannastop may feature it on the actual countdown.
  4. The rules for what counts as a 1970s movie are that if it's a 1970-1979 on IMDb. (No ifs, ands, or buts.)
  5. Scoring is as follows:
    Spoiler

Number 1: 10 Points

2 through 3: 9 Points

4 through 5: 8 Points

6 through 10: 7 points

11 through 15: 6 Points

16 through 25: 5 Points

26 through 35: 4 Points

36 through 50: 3 Points

51 through 75: 2 Point

76 through 100: 1 Point

Minor note on formatting: it's easier to tabulate lists if you use the built-in numbered list feature. This isn't a rule though!

Edited by Jason
  • Like 12

Thank you @Jason. I hope there is enough enthusiasm for this era of movies, from before boxofficemojo has reliable data. :ph34r:

Or maybe I underestimated the enthusiasm and one list for this decade won't be enough! We will see.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 6

My list so far:

1. Apocalypse Now (1979)
  2. Taxi Driver (1976)
  3. The Godfather (1972)
  4. The Godfather Part II (1974)
  5. Blazing Saddles (1974)
  6. Heavy Traffic (1973)
  7. Young Frankenstein (1974)
  8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
  9. National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
  10. Star Wars (1977)
  11. The Exorcist (1973)
  12. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Edited by cannastop
  • Like 4

For your consideration:

51y2NVgXdmL.jpg

1973's Heavy Traffic is probably Ralph Bakshi's best film. Riding the peak of his success to make a personal artistic statement with feature animation, which I'm not sure had been done before, and certainly still hasn't been done often since.

As with his previous movie, Fritz the Cat, Bakshi directed veteran animation artists older than him, and up and coming animators.

This was rated X, and also like Fritz the Cat, was a success at the box office.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Or maybe I underestimated the enthusiasm and one list for this decade won't be enough! We will see.

Nope.  I don't think you didn't.  Though I laugh cause my first reaction to "1970s" was "Okay so are we doing 1970-1979 or 1967 to 1977".  ;)

FYCS:

Alien

image.jpg

Cabaret

movietalk-cabaret630-jpg_225623.jpg

Kramer v Kramer

56fae37852bcd028008b9711-750-375.jpg

M*A*S*H

preview.jpg

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691771

• Like 7

1 Jaws
2 Apocalypse Now

3 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4 The Godfather: Part II
5 Taxi Driver
6 Alien 
7 Aguirre, the Wrath of God
8 Rocky
9 Sorcerer
10 Star Wars

11 Halloween
12 Days of Heaven
13 Phantasm
14 Carrie
15 Chinatown
16 The Exorcist
17 The French Connection
18 Stalker
19 Suspiria
20 Vanishing Point

21 Badlands
22 The Godfather
23 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
24 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
25 Nosferatu the Vampyre
26 The Black Stallion
27 The Brood
28 Picnic at Hanging Rock
29 Poltergeist
30 Two-Lane Blacktop

31 Invasion of the Body Snatchers
32 The Driver
33 Deliverance
34 Dog Day Afternoon
35 The Outlaw Josey Wales
36 The Omen
37 The Wicker Man
38 Superman
39 Rolling Thunder
40 Assault on Precinct 13

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 9

I checked and I'm currently have 41 films that I have seen and like enough to put on this list. I'm never going to make 100, but there quite a few that I want to see before the deadline.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tower said:

I checked and I'm currently have 41 films that I have seen and like enough to put on this list. I'm never going to make 100, but there quite a few that I want to see before the deadline.

I am over a 100 already, and am not through all years. Then I watched more genres than nowadays, it was an extensive decade

When I am finished with all the potentials I might post the whole list as BOM starts only in 1980, might help someone to remember this or that title

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Letterboxd tells me I got 88 movies from the '70s I've rated 3.5/5 or higher. Not sure I can kick that number up to 100 in a month but I'll try.

If there's enough pressure or other circumstances to push the deadline out a few weeks, I'll consider doing it.

• Like 2

Well I am basically ancient in comparison to you guys so I'm sure there is maybe a hundred and fifty or two hundred films I've seen from the 1970s I've never actually done an inventory but it's something I will certainly explore in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1