RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

1 minute ago, ThePhasmid said:

Why was this even greenlit to begin with? The character is only known to those who are Spider-Man purists. SONY seemingly wants nothing to do with it. Dakota Johnson looks like she's being held at gunpoint to promote it. I didn't even know it was coming out this weekend. Deadpool 3 has completely overshadowed anything related to this film.

I'll be generous with a 30M OW, but I'm thinking low to mid 20's is the ceiling.

30M 6days -at best - is more like it

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Why was this even greenlit to begin with? The character is only known to those who are Spider-Man purists. SONY seemingly wants nothing to do with it. Dakota Johnson looks like she's being held at gunpoint to promote it. I didn't even know it was coming out this weekend. Deadpool 3 has completely overshadowed anything related to this film.

Post-MCU and especially Guardians success, character awareness among GA wasn't really a big deal though now people have certainly become more selective when it comes to superhero films.

I think Sony chose Madame Web to set her up as their own Doctor Strange kind of mystical/magic adjacent mentor and guide required for any Multiverse and Spider-Verse shenanigans. Which if rumors are true about the NWH follow-up, they want to do more of even against Feige's suggestions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sony wanted its The Marvels. It got it. :hahaha:

I mean, as infamous of a flop as it is now, greenlighting that one made sense at the time. Captain Marvel was a billion dollar hit, and Marvel was still on top of the world and hadn't hit the slump they're currently in, so why not make another? Madame Web should never have gotten her own movie, and it would've flopped in any era as long as it was the Sony suits in charge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sony wanted its The Marvels. It got it. :hahaha:

yeah I think studios are under the impression female team up movies will automatically attract a huge female audience in addition to the typical male audience but as we have seen with Birds of Prey, The Marvels, and now likely this. This is clearly not the case 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

yeah I think studios are under the impression female team up movies will automatically attract a huge female audience in addition to the typical male audience but as we have seen with Birds of Prey, The Marvels, and now likely this. This is clearly not the case 

Had those movies been well written and looked appealing, though, they wouldn't have turned out poorly.

This is S.J. Clarkson's first movie but she's a a real TV veteran (and she's directed shows like the British Life on Mars which looked fantastic) so how is this movie so bad on a technical level?

Edited by DInky

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

I'll be generous with a 30M OW, but I'm thinking low to mid 20's is the ceiling.

Sony seemingly want nothing to do with it? Who do you think is sending Dakota Johnson all over the world to promote it? 

Sony arranged all the late night talk shows, the day time talk shows, press junkets, photo calls, premieres and even SNL. Can’t say Sony abandoned this or didn’t try to promote it. 

If they wanted to bury it they would’ve. 

14 minutes ago, DInky said:

This is S.J. Clarkson's first movie but she's a a real TV veteran (and she's directed shows like the British Life on Mars which looked fantastic) so how is this movie so bad on a technical level?

TV aesthetics don't translate well to the big screen.

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sony seemingly want nothing to do with it? Who do you think is sending Dakota Johnson all over the world to promote it? 

Sony arranged all the late night talk shows, the day time talk shows, press junkets, photo calls, premieres and even SNL. Can’t say Sony abandoned this or didn’t try to promote it. 

If they wanted to bury it they would’ve. 

They *should* have buried it.

Or really, stopped it before it started. The level of promotion is ultimately just almost the absolute bare minimum, which is what happens when a studio doesn't have confidence in their product.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DInky said:

Directing TV episodes doesn't mean much, if anything, Alan Taylor is also TV veteran, but made a bunch of shitty movies.

17 minutes ago, DInky said:

Well, it looks like a TV show so I'll give them that.

• Like 1