Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: Abominable 20.85, Downton 14.5 (-53%), Hustlers 11.5 (-32%), It2 10.4 (-39%), Ad Astra 10.1 (-47%), Rambo 8.6 (-55%), Judy 3.1

44 minutes ago, Eric! said:

To be fair, unless it was another kids movie, I don't think it would be a smart idea to have a movie open the weekend before Joker

The Hunt was fully set to open this weekend until its release got called off completely due to real world events just a few weeks ago, so it's not like everyone was completely terrified of Joker. November currently has 16 movies set to open and one or two of them could've easily opened here, especially something like Motherless Brooklyn which will likely tank no matter where it opens.

Edited by filmlover

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Are you training to go on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

no way.  I don't know the lyrics to any nursery rhymes.  (or songs)

I don't think you can derive answers from that multiple choice show.

Spoiler

the lion sleeps tonight hqdefault.jpg

Edited by belligerent talking robot

Ad Astra has a long way to go to hit breakeven, but that 47% drop looks pretty good after those awful RT audience scores. I enjoyed it, but I was thinking 65-70% might be in the cards this weekend. Glad to see it's at least holding its own.

Also is it just me or has September animation/family films been doing bad recently, when it used to be a major opportunity spot. Cloudy 1 and 2, as well as the first two Hotel Transylvania dominated. Hell Open Season adjusts over $100M. Storks, Lego Ninjago, Smallfoot and now Abominable are all under $85M.

I wonder if the damage of Netflix to the theatrical animation business as well as more bloated summer for family films in general is hurting and the marketing has taken a turn for the worse.