Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Abominable 20.85, Downton 14.5 (-53%), Hustlers 11.5 (-32%), It2 10.4 (-39%), Ad Astra 10.1 (-47%), Rambo 8.6 (-55%), Judy 3.1

https://deadline.com/2019/09/abominable-downton-abbey-hustlers-weekend-box-office-1202746278/

Dreamworks Animation and Pearl Studio’s Abominable rolled up $650K from early Thursday night previews that began at 6PM in 2,950 theaters. That figure is $200K shy of the $850K made a year ago by another Yeti movie, Warner Bros.’ Smallfoot which went on to have a $6.4M Friday and $23M opening. Abominable is the only big studio wide entry this weekend.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, Eric! said:

If it follows House w/ Clock: 20.6M

If it follows Smallfoot: 17.6M

So we could get the lowest Dreamworks opening since Turbo, or the lowest Dreamworks opening since Flushed Away. That's disgusting.

Since SF was WB did it have 4pm previews or did they just start that this year?

Very sad for Dreamworks especially since the last sizable film even slightly kid friendly was Lion King.  Since then we've had Dora and AB2.  One would think there'd be a greater appetite for a Dreamworks movie with solid reviews.

Budget wise, it's cheaper than the average DWA film at $75m so they won't lose money but I wonder if releasing a Yeti film a year after WAG released Smallfoot was a bit unwise. 

The late September slot is a real mix bag for animated films, some do well like Cloudy and Hotel Transylvania but others like Ninjago or Storks have floundered in that slot.

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Since SF was WB did it have 4pm previews or did they just start that this year?

Very sad for Dreamworks especially since the last sizable film even slightly kid friendly was Lion King.  Since then we've had Dora and AB2.  One would think there'd be a greater appetite for a Dreamworks movie with solid reviews.

Yeah it did have 4PM previews. So it's not a perfect comparison, but I like having more than one comparison thrown in.

The one thing the past couple years have shown, if I'm being honest, is just how popular and successful the Hotel Transylvania movies really are. We've had so many animated movies in the same release date, and said release date is arguably a perfect one in terms of competition, and aside from maybe Cloudy w/ Meatballs 2 (even then, you can argue its opening was a tad disappointing), none of them have even come close to what the first two movies generated.

Guess a lot of kids like getting into the Halloween spirit at that time. Bodes well for Addams Family in two weeks I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Yeah it did have 4PM previews. So it's not a perfect comparison, but I like having more than one comparison thrown in.

The one thing the past couple years have shown, if I'm being honest, is just how popular and successful the Hotel Transylvania movies really are. We've had so many animated movies in the same release date, and said release date is arguably a perfect one in terms of competition, and aside from maybe Cloudy w/ Meatballs 2 (even then, you can argue its opening was a tad disappointing), none of them have even come close to what the first two movies generated.

Guess a lot of kids like getting into the Halloween spirit at that time. Bodes well for Addams Family in two weeks I guess.

Smallfoot did okay but I agree HT and HT2 are certainly the exception rather than the norm for animated film. 

The only film I can think of that broke out in this sort of time frame although it was released in October was Shark Tale but that rode on the success of Shrek 2.

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Guess that means Space Jam 2 will move as I can't see Warner Bros competing with Spider-Man, I'm surprised they've gone for mid July rather than say the first weekend of July or July 9th since Indy V will likely be delayed again.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Guess that means Space Jam 2 will move as I can't see Warner Bros competing with Spider-Man, I'm surprised they've gone for mid July rather than say the first weekend of July or July 9th since Indy V will likely be delayed again.

Is it just me or is Summer 2021 super crowded? 

People don't appreciate what they have until it's gone for good. This was an original animation and people turned up their nose at it like they've done countless times before. Those who dismiss it will not have the right to criticize animation studios for making sequel after sequel after sequel beyond this point.

I guess 2020 is Last Chance Junction for originals.

And, hopefully, Pearl Studios can rebound with the next film they make, if they even get the chance.

Edited by SLAM!

54 minutes ago, Eric! said:

The $4 TMobile deal helps Addams Family, too...gotta give all those Regal and AMC subscribers a way to take their kids cheap, since they can't subscribe for them...